MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 05-04-17, 21:09
carrier mech

I have seen a small number of the early TL carriers around....if they were British contract, some certainly remained back here.

I used to have one of the remnants of a British speedometer from an early Cdn carrier that was somewhere in the 400-500 hull numbers range. Not sure where it ended up, or if it is hiding in one of the many many tupperware containers out in the shed.
Old 06-04-17, 06:21

A portion of the first series of MK-I* carriers produced at Ford Canada were fitted with a selection of British made parts. As Rob L. indicates, it is not uncommon to see these early carriers in Canada. The carrier Nech has, TL13F, was one such carrier, sold from an MLU member and shipped to Europe. Another three digit serial number MK-I* shipped from Canada in 2016.

As for the dash instruments and most gauges, the changes appeared at serial #2083 for the oil gauge, and serial #2143 for the Canadian switchboard assembly. However, the British CAV - Bosch 47-51 switchboard continued in use as spares until stocks were depleted.

If you look at the carrier serial number list in Nigel W., 'Universal Carriers, Volume 1', there is a list showing hundreds of the three digit serial number carriers issued to Canadian units. Nigel also details the supply of British parts by type, manufacturer and quantity to support production until Ford Canada was able to get local supply up to speed. I suppose an initial order of 600 carriers being increased to eventually cover some 28,988 units plus spares allowed for full local production support.
Attached Thumbnails
British supplied change over at 2083.jpg   1000.jpg  
Old 06-04-17, 14:45
Martin Sedivy

Thank you everyone gentleman for your information. You gave me the right direction, I am getting the answers to my questions.
The SE-83-44 parts catalogue says:

SPEEDOMETER - U.K. design manufactured by Smiths 0-40mph
SWITCHBOARD - CAV-BOSCH 47-51 (when depleted, replaced by..) manufactured by C.A.V.
OIL PRESSURE GAUGE - U.K. No.20894/5 (when depleted, replaced by..) manufactured by Smiths 0-100 lbs
THERMOMETER - Dash unit U.K. No. AQ/TCL/181/108 manufactured by A.R.I.C. 120-240F
AMMETER - U.K. No. CB/5289/25A manufactured by C.A.V. 0-25A
DASH LAMP - U.K. design
HORN - PUSH - U.K. No.LV/HP19L (when depleted, not replaced)
SWITCH STARTER - U.K. No. LV/764361
SOCKET INSPECTION LAMP - U.K. No. LV/L1502/5

I suppose I can apply those data to my early machine.
Old 06-04-17, 15:12

Good start!

The change-over to Canadian or American made parts continued with the Zenith governed carburetor from Solex, Arens choke, bellows type air cleaner and engine cover mounted instruction plate, fuel tank selector, steering gear, wheel bearings, Lucas lamps and bulbs, speedometer and casing with drive, horn and horn push, gauges and switches.

The British supplied horn and push button was Klaxnet. The dash panel was punched to accommodate the push. Subsequent panels had the opening blanked off, then eliminated altogether. The opening in the glacis plate for the horn conduit wiring was closed with a bolt before new glacis plates were introduced that eliminated both the wiring opening, the splash angle mounting holes, and eventually the mounting holes for the track adjusting bar. Of course the horn conduit was deleted as well, along with the double style retaining clips underneath that held the horn and headlamp conduit.

Knowing this may be of interest when you are working with a "bitzer" project where both early and late parts have been thrown together, or a donor carrier from a different model used to supply parts. Not supplied through the normal updates during service, but through our efforts to rebuild.
Old 06-04-17, 18:43
Richard Harrison

If you decide to part with the speedo and ammeter, give me a shout ��

__5th Div___46th Div__
1942 Ford Universal Carrier No.3 MkI*
Lower Hull No. 10131
War Department CT54508 (SOLD)
1944 Ford Universal Carrier MkII* (under restoration).
1944 Morris C8 radio body (under restoration).
Old 06-04-17, 21:41
Martin Sedivy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT10829 View Post
If you decide to part with the speedo and ammeter, give me a shout ��
No prob mate.