MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 12-12-16, 02:58

Default Push On - A photographic history of Lord Strathcona's Horse (R.C.), 1936-46

“Push On”
A Photographic History of Lord Strathcona’s Horse R.C.
1936-46

For those familiar with the Regiment’s history during the Second World War this book’s title will have instant recognition. At the Melfa River action on 24-25 May 1944, Lieutenant-Colonel P.G. Griffin’s orders to “push on” were heard repeatedly over the regiment’s wireless network throughout the course of the battle. Embodying the spirit of the Regiment’s motto “Perseverance,” these memorable words by the Regiment’s Commanding Officer were spoken to evoke a fighting spirit in the men and to press the attack despite significant losses to Strathcona tanks and personnel.

This book chronicles the Regiment’s history in extensive detail from 1936, when it was a permanent force cavalry regiment, to 1946 when it came back from the war as the senior armoured regiment of the 5th Canadian Armoured Division. The pictures cover the Regiment’s early training in Canada and in England and for the first time, photos of the Regiment’s tanks and combat actions in Italy and in Holland are shown in extensive detail.

Book details:
- 440 pages
- Contains over 1450 B&W and colour photographs specific to the Regiment
- Excerpts from over 100 Strathcona veteran interviews
- Biographies of all four pre-war and wartime Commanding Officers
- Award citations for all medal winners of the Regiment
- Wartime maps
- Canadian-built Ram tank vehicle plate in colour
- Original Strathcona uniforms in colour

Book Review:

Patrick Johnson has published his new photo history titled “Push On: A Photographic History of Lord Strathcona’s Horse (Royal Canadians), 1936-1946.” This 440 page cloth cover (hardback) study of an important part of the Regiment’s history is without a doubt, the most impressive and most important record of the Regiment’s history published thus far. The text, photo captions (which identify nearly every person in each photo) and other information is first rate, while the design and layout are superlative. Patrick has compiled a most impressive work, one that the Regiment should be thankful for and proud of. By themselves, the images are important, and Patrick has ensured the preservation of the events depicted in these photos in a masterful work.

The price of this book is worth every penny. Details of the book and a link to view over 100 pages from it are attached.

Perseverance,
John

Major John R. Grodzinski, CD, PhD
Assistant Professor/Professeur adjoint
Department of History/Département d'Histoire
The Royal Military College of Canada/Collège militaire royal du Canada

To see sample pages from the book

The following link will allow you to view pages of the book:

http://www.blurb.ca/b/6627249-push-on

To preview the book, please click the word “PREVIEW” under the book image. It will take you to a page where you can view select images of the book. To view full screen, especially to read the text, click on the “diagonal arrows” icon above the book image on the right. There is a sampling of pages taken from various sections of the book over the period 1936-46 to give you an opportunity to view the book prior to purchasing it.

The book may be ordered direct from the website ($160) or from the author ($136) by contacting Patrick via email.

sed copies will arrive shrink-wrapped within a heavy cardboard mailer. If you wish I would be pleased to sign or dedicate the book.

This book has a limited printing of 225 copies and only a small number of copies remain. You may also choose to order direct from Blurb, the print-on-demand publisher, for as long as the link remains active. Depending on the date ordered and payment method chosen, it is still possible to receive this book before Christmas.

I hope the subject matters garners some interest with members of Maple Leaf Up and I welcome any correspondence related to the history of Lord Strathcona’s Horse (R.C.) during the Second World War.

Regards,
Patrick
Attached Thumbnails
Push On book cover MLU.jpg  

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 12-12-16 at 13:40. Reason: edited email address for spam control
Old 12-12-16, 08:11

Looks like a fantastic book Patrick, just ordered a copy! Cant wait to get it!
Old 12-12-16, 12:32

Looks good - have also ordered a copy!

Some lovely Tank stuff... though would have been better for me for my Firefly restoration to have a stack of Firefly pics from GGFG.

Tim
Old 12-12-16, 13:41
MLU Administrator

Patrick,

Thanks for the heads-up: email sent.

Regards,
Hanno
Old 12-12-16, 19:16

Default Ordering books

Please note that it is not only less expensive to order the book through me, but it may also be possible to receive your book in time for Christmas. Mailing times for most locations in Canada are 3-5 business days. If you choose to order through the publisher I have no control how quickly they will print and ship your copy, and I don't have the option to sign these copies (if requested) as they are mailed direct to you.
Hope this understanding helps.
Regards, Patrick
Old 13-12-16, 13:26

A short review. I picked up a copy from Patrick last June. It is one of the most thorough, well researched histories I have seen of any Regiment. Truly a labour of love.
For those interested in the Strathcona's, Canadian Second WW military history, armoured units or vehicles this is a essential reference.
Old 14-12-16, 23:24
MLU Administrator

Anyone who wants to share postage to the Netherlands?

PM me, please.

Thanks,
Hanno
Old 19-12-16, 18:49

Buy one from the Publisher and it is printed in the Netherlands... so no worry about postage Hanno.

I was too quick to buy a copy before I realised I could get it cheaper (should have read the advert properly)... however, it arrived today.... and very nice too!

Will you get it before Christmas... not sure now... but you might before the New Year.

Tim
Old 22-12-16, 05:58

My copy arrived today, shows that it was posted from Richmond BC. Not opening it until Christmas is going to be tough!
Old 22-12-16, 06:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcm View Post
My copy arrived today, shows that it was posted from Richmond BC. Not opening it until Christmas is going to be tough!
Good idea John. Im thinking I'll do the same. I think my copy is at the post office ready for pickup.
Old 22-12-16, 13:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcm View Post
My copy arrived....... Not opening it until Christmas is going to be tough!
Ditto.

Oh the anticipation.................of the wife asking what it cost me!!

I'm sure that I will enjoy it Patrick.

regards
Darrell
Old 23-12-16, 01:23

We all need to get ourselves a nice Christmas present and I can't think of a better one!

Last edited by jdmcm; 27-12-16 at 17:25. Reason: General bad grammar
Old 26-12-16, 21:45

Opened the book yesterday...couldn't put it down. Absolutely fabulous, where Patrick found some of the photos I'm not sure but amazing. I feel comfortable highly recommending this book to anyone interested not only in the LDSH(RC) but anyone interested in military history...great job Patrick!
Old 08-01-17, 23:37
metal urgest

Received my copy Friday. Fantastic book, loads of very interesting photo's and interviews with vets. I would highly recommend this book. Thanks to Patrick for all the work putting this together and preserving our military history.

Perry
Old 09-01-17, 01:31

I too picked up one of these books. I'd very highly recommend it. I found it very well laid out and was a great mix of photos, research and veteran accounts.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 09-01-17, 14:35

Hi

I am remiss for not mentioning earlier that my copy arrived in good order and I found it very enjoyable to read and look at. The great number of previously un-seen pictures and the compelling stories inside make it a fine addition to my library.

Thanks Patrick and great job.

regards
Darrell
Old 15-02-17, 21:36
Marco Hogenkamp

I received my copy last week and I can really recommend it!
This book is the result of thousands of hours of research.
Most if not all of the photo's have captions with names and locations.
I was surprised to find several photo's from despatch rider Roger Ptosnik.
Roger was in our neighbourhood in 2000 and told his story in an article in the two-weekly Dutch magazine "Motor".
The photo was made in the village of Eibergen.
The Harley WLC is my brother's.

Marco
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 11-04-17, 05:42

Default Special Offer from the Publisher

Limited time offer. Until April 13, 2017, receive 25% off the purchase price of "Push On" by using the savings code SHINEON25 The book can be ordered via the following link:

http://www.blurb.ca/b/6627249-push-on

This offer should be especially appealing to overseas customers to avoid the hefty Canada Post shipping rates to Europe. Blurb, the on-demand printer of "Push On", has printing presses in the EU where the book can be printed and shipped direct to the purchaser.

For those wishing a signed copy, I still have a limited number of signed copies available for $136 by contacting me at PushOn@bell.net.

A big thank you to all those who have purchased the book and have left positive reviews, your comments are greatly appreciated. I'm especially grateful to the Moderators of this fantastic resource for graciously allowing me to promote the book on MLU. Thank you!

Regards, Patrick
Old 26-04-17, 23:45
MLU Administrator

Patrick,

Have received my copy in the mail earlier this week. Have not had a chance to read it all yet, but it looks like a fantastically researched, lavishly illustrated and well laid out book.

Well worth the buy and comes highly recommended for anyone interested in WW2 Canadian military history!

Regards,
Hanno
Old 11-07-17, 04:47

Default Push: On A photographic history of Lord Strathcona's horse RC

I got my copy today, (10 July 2017) so there are still copies available. I ordered mine from patrick and got him to sign it for,
Terrific book and I am going to be a long time going through it. lot's of terrific photos and anecdotes.

Gordon Parker