MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 15-05-15, 15:06

Default 19-Set Crystal Calibrator

One of these is currently on eBay out of Canada. The interesting thing about it is that it has been refinished in semi-gloss NATO Green, and an aluminum NATO Stock Tag fastened where the original factory stenciling would have been located. I cannot read the actual NATO Number, but the item is identified as: 'CALIBRATORS NT-11'. I never knew they were in service long enough to get that kind of recognition.

Wonder when they were finally dropped off the books?

David
Old 05-06-15, 10:11
Derek Heuring

I'm not sure when they were dropped but one of my crystal calibrators arrived in it's original, sealed box and has a RCEME inspection tag dated Nov, 18, 1959 from "202 BASE" RCEME Workshop. It was obviously never used after that date.

CHIMO!

Derek H.
Old 05-06-15, 11:47

I know some Cadet corps were still using them in the mid 70s.

Dean
Old 23-09-17, 16:04

Anyone ever noticed these things are not waterproof by the wildest stretch of the imagination?

I have mine mounted horizontally on top of the Power Supply of my 19-Set Mk III. It in turn is mounted on a Carriers No. 23 'Breadboard'. The problem with this configuration, is the presence of the calibrator prevents the canvas cover from being securely fastened down to the carrier on the left side.

When I look at my Mk II 19-Set, mounted on a Carrier No. 21, with canvas cover, there is no way a calibrator can be mounted on that set and still have a functioning canvas cover.

A special canvas cover was developed for the Variometer. Does anyone know if a canvas cover, or storage case was ever produced for the crystal calibrator?

David
Old 23-09-17, 22:15
Junior Password Gnome

I think the calibrators were intended for use inside radio trucks, rather than anything where the set was exposed to the elements or liable to condensation dripping on it.

The British used a separate wavemeter (Class 'D' No.1) which was still not waterproof (initially, though there was a later version that was immersion proof when the lid/accessories container was clamped on). They were really only issued to control stations in higher formations during WW2 as far as I can make out: everyone else used the netting call from the control station who would pick a clear spot as close to the assigned frequency (on his dial) as possible.

Frequency inaccuracies were the main reason for post-WW2 sets being designed for crystal control, not to mention simple operation because the user might be getting shot at while trying to contact the net.

Chris. (G8KGS)
Old 18-08-19, 04:22

Default 6-Pin Crystal Calibrator Power Plugs

Finally! One of these elusive little things has showed up on eBay from Utrecht, Netherlands under Item Number 173996967599. First one I have ever seen, considering every Calibrator Kit from Canadian Marconi was equipped with one.

On the very sad side, however, somebody during the life of this connector, deemed it necessary to hack the calibrator feed cable from it and cut off the brown resin ID ring. You can still see the ghost of where it was fitted to the cable.

Soooo sad!

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6-Pin Crystal Calibrator Dogbone Remains.jpg (180.2 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by David Dunlop; 18-08-19 at 13:32. Reason: Typo.