MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 30-11-04, 08:02

Default Field Artillery tractor camo

I am just finishing of my 13 cab Quad , but I am wondering if anybody has any pictures of the camouflage used on Quads , I have one wich is a sprayed on mickey mouse pattern , got this years ago from Bart Vanderveen . But otherwise there are not much pictures from 13 cab Quads around .
already thanks .
Old 02-12-04, 16:49
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Field Artillery tractor camo

Quote:
Originally posted by Maurice Donckers
I am wondering if anybody has any pictures of the camouflage used on Quads
Maurice,

According to Mike Starmer's "British AFV Camouflage" and Steve Guthrie's website a CMP in Europe 1942-1944 would be painted according to MTP46, i.e. a two tone scheme usually using the BS987c browns. Basic colour Brown SCC No.2 or Khaki Green No.3 (paint applied by manufacturer) with patterning in SCC No.1A, or alternatively Dark Tarmac No.4. The most common patterning versions were variants of the "Foliage" pattern and the "Mickey Mouse" variant of the Dapple pattern. In October 1943 SCC14, black was authorised as the main tone over SCC2.
In April 1944 SCC15 Olive Drab was authorised for use as the new basic colour and it was used to cover over the old SCC2 in MTP46 patterns or on its own, particularly after the abandonment of pattern painting by August 1944 except on vehicles still in SCC2.

The picture attached here (source) shows an early FAT in the MTP46 pattern. Also make sure to see Colin's scans of MTP 46 Part 4A. For further info I suggest you e-mail Mike Starmer, as he's the most likely person to come up with the exact type of picture you're looking for.

Hope this helps,
Hanno
ref. paint schemes for CMP trucks

cam2quad.jpg
Old 03-12-04, 21:20
David Pope

How's this?

The other side

And the front
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resize of resize of new9a.jpg (17.9 KB, 686 views)
File Type: jpg resize of new9b.jpg (19.3 KB, 684 views)
File Type: jpg resize of new9.jpg (23.9 KB, 677 views)
Old 07-12-04, 07:33

Here are the two pictures I got a long time ago from Bart Vanderveen , are there any more pictures around were it is possible to see any paint scemes on Quads? I am looking for pictures from them in use in Europe.

the other one from the same vehicle

cgt_cab13_camouflage-2.jpg cgt_cab13_camouflage-1.jpg
Old 17-03-05, 11:15
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Field Artillery tractor interior camo

Quote:
I am just finishing of my 13 cab Quad , but I am wondering if anybody has any pictures of the camouflage used on Quads
Maurice, I don't know if you already have found some more pictures, but I could not resist copying this quote
It was posted by Steve Guthrie on the missing-lynx.com forum. It comes from George Blackburn's book 'Where the Hell are the Guns' about his time as an RCA Field Artillery Gunner in the UK:
Quote:
p.336: Vehicles do require some maintenance, of course, and drivers devote much time to keeping their trucks and quads, spotlessly clean inside and out. Clearly, however, they have to find ways of putting in time, and many of them go in for painting the insides of their quads and truck cabs in bright colours-Paris green, pale blue or light grey, with knobs and handles in bright red-in contrast to the drab exterior of camouflage splotches of dark green, olive-green, black and khaki
Old 17-03-05, 11:29

Default Camo on Quads

I only came along two pictures of 13 cab Quads in the Antwerp area (with 17 Pr behind) , but the trucks are so coverred in dust , that it is even impossible to see the markings or reg . no.
There seem to be not a lot of pictures around from 13 cab quads in use in Belgium , Holland up till January 1945.
Another question about Quads : there should be a plotting board or something in the brackets above the driver ,does anybody know what this should be ?
Maurice
Old 18-03-05, 23:29

Default boards

Hi Maurice,

LwD's got one, even a CGT is attached to it....

Mvg,

Stefan
Old 15-04-05, 23:29
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Camo on Quads

Quote:
There seem to be not a lot of pictures around from 13 cab quads in use in Belgium , Holland up till January 1945.
Hereīs one crossing the IJssel river near Wilp during Operation Cannonshot, 11 April 1945.

source

Itīs a bad quality scan but you should be able to find it in one of the books listed on this page.

H.
Old 16-04-05, 01:03
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default Maurice's FAT Picture

Hi Maurice:

Interesting that the FAT you posted two pictures of is towing a six pounder anti-tank gun. In the original photos can you make out the number on the door or any markings?

Cheers! Mike
www.calnan.com/swords