MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 06-01-08, 15:52
Cameron

Default electronic ignition?

Hi All

As I posted earlier, my friend and I have become self appointed re-furbishers of a Mk 2 carrier. We don't own this Carrier (the local legion does) so we don't want to spend $$ unnecessarily. The Carrier is currently in a heated bay and we're in the process of general repairs. We've drained the transmission, replaced w 80-90 wt gear oil as per the manuals, replaced oil, have pulled the plugs and added 3 or 4 ounces of diesel into each cylinder. We're in the process of replacing all the rubber rad lines, flexible trans lines, getting the exhaust manufactured. I managed to get the 4 exhaust manifold bolts off. We have new belts coming.

My questions are, before we crank this over, is there any way to run the oil pump so that the internals are lubed? This carrier has sat still since 1985. 2nd thing, while were going to replace all plugs and wires, is there an electronic ignition available vs the points, rotor, condenser?

We have a 6 v battery that's new and the starter appears to be ok. Before turning this engine over to see if it'll rotate is there anything else we should do?

Cameron
Old 06-01-08, 16:35
John Dallimore

Cameron-I'm no carrier expert, but I do remember the Ford flatheads came out with a normal type distributor in the 50's. If you converted your engine to one of those, you should be able to get a pertronix ignition for it.

JOhn
Old 06-01-08, 17:18

I wouldn't bother with going to the electronic ignition. There is nothing wrong with the currect electrical system in a carrier. You just need to know how they work.

Make sure you have lots of grounds.
Go to Mac's Auto Antiques website. http://www.macsautoparts.com/ They sell all sorts of Flathead ford bits. Tons of stuff that is usable for a carrier.

They sell an adaptor plate that fits on the top of the distributor to allow the use of a modern coil.

When I re-did the electrics in my UC only the most basic was ever done. I bought some #1 gauge welding cable wire for my battery cables.

From the positive on the battery I have a short cable to a ground. From the negative I go to the starter button (MK1) and then back to the starter motor. From the "hot" side of the starter button I have a smaller gauge wire go to a toggle switch. This then goes to the negative terminal on the coil. From the positve coil terminal it goes to the screw on the adaptor plate.

That is it and I have never had any problems.

For a Mk2 it will be slightly different due to having a starter handle.
Attached Images

C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 06-01-08, 17:56
HLIofC - Normandy Pl

Default before you start-

If you have the crank, work the machine over with that- plugs out-untill you get bored or start to cry.

The dist is no big deal, as Jordan says thay can easily be cleaned up. Mine is still running with the original coil.

How's the carb?

What part of the world are you in ?

too many carriers
too many rovers
not enough time.
(and now a BSA...)
(and now a Triumph TRW...)
Old 06-01-08, 18:59
Cameron

Thanks for the replies! We am located in Huntsville ON. I haven't pulled the carb yet. Our real concern is if we can get things to turn over than we'll go further. Assuming that things are not seized our next stage is to get it started. Once that (hopefully) occurs we plan on starting a fundraising campaign. Our Mk2 has been sitting outside, unprotected, since 1985. There was some vandalism done to it 10 or so years back, gauges smashed, switches broken... It was then surrounded in a chain link cage. I have a personal tie to it as my grandfather was the head tool and die maker for Inglis who built the Bren gun magazines. I actually have the 1,000,000th magazine that rolled off the line during war time.

As this project will be publicly funded we need to show them that it's worthy of their $$. Hopefully with getting it running this will open their pocketbooks. Then we can cosmetically begin the work.

Cameron
Old 07-01-08, 01:14

Hi Cameron

Here is a picture of my dist. with the above shown adaptor plate installed. I would also recommend getting new spark plug wires. If you do a search on Mac's site you will find the adaptor plate #78-12036-S

Basicaly the adaptor plate lets you use a modern readily available coil instead of the hard to find and expensive modern ones that will crap out with no warning.
Attached Thumbnails
01.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer