MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 12-02-12, 01:39

Default Paint for 53 CDN M38A1

Okay I know I have asked about this before and many have said that the
24087 is the correct paint code for the year of my jeep however it was painted again in the later years of it's military life so I am thinking about1967 maybe a little later? What shade of green was used then or was it all the three colour camoflage design.
The 24087 that i have is from gillespie and it seems way too brown for my likeing or for the colour that I see ontop of what looked like the first paint job. I got some of the 24052 also gillespie... and it seems so much closer to what is on there now.
I am wondering what is the other paint manufacturer out there that carries the 24087 code but not gillespie?

And if there is a link to where they are and where I can order it?
Maybe Midwest?

I really am just trying to get it through the inspection and no rust may show and the colours must be of an even tone...Not ready to paint the whole thing yet either!

Thanks Casey
Old 12-02-12, 07:42

Hi Casey,

You could also try the Randolph Paint sold by Peter Debella

Cheers,
Rick
Old 12-02-12, 21:27
carrier mech

http://hedgehoghollow.com/buzz/Colou.../army_clr.html

The above page is a good reference for the Cdn to US colours.

I have used the 24087, and it will dry a bit greener than it looks. But adding some black to it would not hurt. If you have the same brand of paint it would be best.
Old 12-02-12, 22:39

I have to say that the closest match I have seen so far is the Olive Drab colour the first on the list... from the paint chart you sent a link for. I am thinking it got a last new paint job about the end of the 60's and then sold in 76. The notes under the hood show the last tune up was 74 and the darker colour is present there as well... Not that I don't like the brownish 24087 just preffer the darker colour that is on it. I picked some loose paint off and the 24087 is underneath it. The colour on it now looks so much like 1-GP-12b: 5-13 from the codes.
Rob Re those codes... can I take those to a body shop or Auto paint supply and they would know what they meant with the key that goes with them?

I am narrowing it down and will look at some of Debellas as well.
Thanks Casey
Old 13-02-12, 02:09
carrier mech

Very few paint shops will recognize those codes. You can however bring a sample (perhaps the battery box lid) down to them and they can scan it and come up with the formula. It won't be cheap mind you. Most automotive paint will start at around $200 a gallon.

Home hardware can do the same thing mind you. Use their best exterior housepaint for $50 a gallon. They can scan your sample and come up with the closest match. You may be surprised.
Old 13-02-12, 04:05

I did think of that process trust me Rob hahaha...I was thinking of getting the codes then asking the bodyshop at work to try to match it. Either that or at lordco they do it as well. Thanks I will try one more co. the randolf product maybe it is a little darker and with a little black....?
Old 04-03-12, 10:58

Finally found a ready made paint that will match what's on the Jeep as it sits now. It is a 24087 code and is Olive drab as well and semi gloss but it is the paint out of New York from Debella Randolph! thanks Rick...so it is made in penn state. It is not the Gillespie brand as that was too Olive/brown for me. Patience does pay off don't it?
Old 05-03-12, 05:08
carrier mech

I think I saw samples of that paint at the MVPA convention a couple of years ago. It did look like a nice colour.
Old 05-03-12, 15:30
Anthony Sewards

Default 3 colour paint samples

I still have some samples available:

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ht=paint+chips

Cheers

Anthony
Old 05-03-12, 21:42

Hi Anthoney
I am not sure what samples of paint you have? I am looking for what appears to be the darker more balck than brown 24087 Olive drab. The jeep was with the Can forces until 1976 and was painted twice. the latter colour being the darker Olive drab. It was not in the tri coloured camo colours also of that time period. Let me know if you can what are there? PM okay thanks Casey