MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 06-03-12, 08:16
Phil

Default Mk1 Ferret added to the collection of rust!

Well just aquired a Mk1 Ferret. Will go well with my 1 Ton Humber and the Champ.

Its details are:-
Mk1 B
Hull # 519
Brit # 37 BA 86
ARN 115 154

Year of Mfg unknown (may be some one can enlighten me)

Some markings are visable on the hull and will work on the hard to read with the old wet n dry

Name/call sign:- BUNA
Fromation sign:- 1st Pentropic Div
Unit:- 107 (is one that stands out with atleast 2 others there one ending "0" and the other could be possably "3" or "5")
red diamond and white square are both visable on the hull sides

Has one unusual thing it has across the front leeding edge of the hull "AUSTRALIA" in white letters. Have never see this befor. Only thing that comes to mind is that may be this ferret had been deployed over seas at one time? Open to ideas with this. As i work on uncovering all the markings more may come evident.

It has a Base workshop tag fitted dated May 67. It has the Larkspur radio harnes fitted but still retains the 2nd radio antenna mounting point on the right rear hull side that use to mount the WS 19 "B" set antenna.

Still has the "Tulip" style front markers and the FV screw on type glass tail lights. Well the remains there of.

It does not have some of the latter mods like relocated first aid box, Army Inter type (Hi-top) tail lights fitted in protective houseings, hull side braceing etc.

There are a few item that I know i require at the moment.

The left hand gear box cover that the comanders seat mounts to as well as the left hand floor too box that covers the gear box mount. As well as the rubber trim for the top edge of the roof opening.

Can any one let me know of any source for parts both here in Australia and or over seas. I do know of Tim Vibert and already have an order in to him.

Happy snaps to come!

Phil...
Milt Land Rovers
Inc:- 58 "gun buggy", 60 FFW, 70 FFW, 71 10 seater Wgn, 69 GS.
M3 Stuart Light Tank "hybrid"
FV1600 Humber FFW/cargo
Mk1 Ferret scout car (waiting restoration)
Various trailers
Inc:- K38, "Ben Hur" 1 ton, 200 Gal "Humber" water tank Tlr, Aust jeep, Landrover recovery.
Milt Radios
etc etc...
Old 06-03-12, 11:42

On the right side of the interior of the vehicle there is a small plate welded to the hull. It is level with the driver right shoulder. If you have the British style cast data plate bolted to the hull you will have to remove it to see it.

It is behind the right side hatch and forward of the right side interior light, the picture attached should help.

It will have something like 519.B.4.54 stamped into it.

The first 3 number are the hull number, the last two are the year ie 1954 in the one above and the single digit preceding it is the month.

Photos please

Robin
Attached Thumbnails
100_0066.jpg  

Last edited by Robin Craig; 06-03-12 at 11:48.