MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 14-09-08, 23:21
'40 Ford F8, 4 x 2

Default F8 Bumper and Brush Guard Bolting Scheme

Have poured over the many pictures of the manner in which the front bumper and brush guard are attached and have yet to confirm what the correct manner is! I've seen pictures with four nuts to a side as well as six (two "U" bolts and two regular bolts?) to a side.

Can anyone tell me what the correct pattern and number of bolts ("U" and regular) required for my F8, Cab 11? My Ford parts manual shows a drawing with 6 nuts to a side but the parts listing isn't sufficiently clear (for me, anyway! ) to determine what kind and numbers of bolts are to be used. Also, the drawing is not clear in as to the position of each of the spring sets for the brush guard; were they bolted to the outside of the bumper bracket bolts or to the inside?

Are the springs supposed to be located flush at each end of the round bar at the top of the guard or is that round bar supposed to protrude a couple of inches beyond the ends of the spring knuckles?

When my truck arrived the bumper was missing and the brush guard was a separate piece without any spacers for the inside of the channel bumper. The bumper bracket flanges were facing each other as opposed to facing out; which is correct for my F8? (See the picture.)

It also appears that there is a difference between Fords and Chevrolets as to how this was done. Any help on this will be most appreciated!

Regards,
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
v.JPG  
Old 15-09-08, 10:39
MLU Administrator

Jim,

I think the thread Ford Bumper Bar Assembly could be of use to you.

I have been following your F8 restoration thread with great interest, keep up the good work!

Regards,
Hanno