MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 25-02-24, 23:20

Default Steering wheel puller.... maybe a "sticky"

One of our member from Aussie land was having problems trying to remove a thoroughly rust welded steering wheel without damaging the wheel itself.
'
I occurred to me that not everyone had bought a surplus NATO steering wheel puller from Princess Auto when they had them for sale at $19.99 circa 20 years ago.....neat little green steel box brand new intended for M series such as M37, jeeps, 2 1/2 tons, etc..... at the time I was heavily involved in Power Wagons and did make a good profit cornering the PA market and by reselling them to the USA Power Wagon crowd.....

Now for our benefit I have take a few photos and copied the tech drawing should one want to go into production. The John Deer tractor dealers had the holy grail..... they had one made of cast aluminum.

One could easily replicate the concept by using an old cast iron C clamp and modifying.... a bit of welding......to the foot to a U shape bracket that fits the dia. of the CMP steering tube. The C clamp portion is actually stamped strap steel double over a threaded section......

Best to be patient and apply reasonable pressure and leave it over night with a touch of oil......it will eventually pop off..... or may need incremental quarter turns.....

Enjoy

will no doubt need more than one posting.....
Attached Thumbnails
puller001.jpg   puller002.jpgenl.jpg   puller003.jpgenl.jpg  
Canada

Last edited by Bob Carriere; 25-02-24 at 23:35.
Old 25-02-24, 23:25

Default Part two.......

Here comes the real photos.......
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_8593.JPGenl.jpg   DSC_8595.JPGenl.jpg   DSC_8597.JPGenl.jpg  
Canada
Old 26-02-24, 00:57

Hi Bob.

I used to have one of those as well, years ago. It was made by a company named 'Benmar' which I think was a division of Cetec Corporation. Probably both long gone my now. Found mine in a tyre shop in what is now the Exchange District of Winnipeg along with several boxes of NOS Chevrolet CMP Cylinder Head wrenches. Both items were packed in boxes of 6 units as I recall. Just picked up one puller but cleaned the guy out of the wrenches. Clearly I wasn't thinking ahead!

David