MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-09-18, 00:22
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
While I think of it, has anyone had experience disassembling the large Bakelite Connector Sockets on this equipment? It is hanging down with the supply plug attached to it in the last photo, but a better view is in Post #28 of this thread.

One of the contacts had been broken off on this Remote Receiver, and there is a large relay mounted on the back of it that would have to be unscrewed. I am curious if replacing the broken contact would be a purely mechanical process or if a soldering iron is required. A large, heavy duty terminal strip runs along the inside lower end of the socket that likely feeds to the individual contacts. My guess is these contacts are probably mounted via screws to their respective terminals.

David
It's easier than you think (probably). All the connectors are identical bakelite mouldings and the contacts are fitted 'as required'. the connector body is attached to the chassis by two screws from the rear (between the rows of contacts) which go into threaded brass inserts in the bakelite moulding, and the contacts are fitted from the front with a lock washer, tag, and nut on the rear, then the nut is sealed with varnish to prevent it working loose. (Do NOT try unscrewing the contact from the front, you will just deform the contact and possibly shear the screw head off.) The 'terminals' are actually tags; short straight ones for the contacts on the bottom row, and longer 'L' shaped ones for the top row. They fit into grooves in the bakelite moulding so that they cannot move sideways. You'll need a thin, broad-bladed screwdriver for the contact side, and a box spanner or nut driver for the terminal side. The screw slot is in line with the slot in the contact and the screwdriver is used to hold it in place while you attack the nut on the back. I'd advise softening the varnish with something (Acetone?) before attempting to undo the nut. (Of course, if the contact is missing because the screw is broken, you may just be able to withdraw the broken screw with nut attached and fit a new contact fairly easily.)

I have your valve holders / tube sockets and will include a scrap WS52 connector that you can use for parts. Hopefully this week if I can get to the Post Office.

Chris.