MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 24-06-18, 13:17
MLU Administrator

Default RCAF vehicles at BCATP station, Picton, ON, CDN

Read "For the record" at the Vintage Wings Canada website for a fascinating read about one of the young airmen serving at BCATP station for No. 31 Bombing and Gunnery School, Aircraftman Second Class (AC2) Arthur Norris. Arthur Norris was assigned to Picton as a driver with the RAF in 1941- 42.

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNe...he-Record.aspx
Old 24-06-18, 13:26
MLU Administrator

I have copied some of the photos here for reference, all are from the Arthur Norris Collection.

Quote:
Arthur Norris poses in October of 1941 with a yellow 1940 Ford 3-Ton fuel bowser (No. 198 P.C.). RCAF Ford 3-Ton trucks usually had dual rear axles, but this fuel truck had only a single axle. The long arms at top rotated outward and held the fuel hoses up and away from the wings when refueling. Drivers like Norris towed, fueled and recovered aircraft from crash sites. They also drove buses and ambulances.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picton14.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	100484
Quote:
Arthur Norris poses with a 1940 Ford 1-Ton Ambulance (No. 35 P.C.) outside the motor pool sheds. In addition to driving the various vehicles, Norris and his mates were required to keep them clean and do a little light maintenance. The pride in his work as a driver is clearly evident in this suite of photos.

Name:	Picton12.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	100485
Quote:
Down at the motorpool quadrangle on a hit summer's day, Arthur Norris (right) and other airmen chat with the driver of an RCAF Ford stake truck making a delivery. Photo: Arthur Norris Collection

Name:	Picton109.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	100486
Old 24-06-18, 13:35
MLU Administrator

The Ford Woodie pictured here is most likely a Car, Station Wagon, Ford C11AS - or rather, the left-hand drive variant for domestic use.

Quote:
At first, I wasn't sure what this vehicle is that Arthur Norris is driving. The vertical post behind the seat is puzzling and it does not look like any of the vehicles in the photos that follow. Of note is the wood lathe headliner, the horizontal wood aft the post, driver's side vent window and the sharp corner of the driver window—possibly a 1941 Ford Super Deluxe “Woodie” Station Wagon. If it is a Woodie, I doubt that it is an official RAF vehicle and perhaps one that was borrowed, rented or purchased by one or all of the lads for touring. Photo: Arthur Norris Collection

Name:	Picton05.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	405.6 KB
ID:	100487

Another photo in Norris' album backs up my guess at the vehicle in the previous photograph. This is definitely a 1941 Ford Super Deluxe Woodie Wagon. Here we see one of Norris's friends pumping gas at a base motor pool pump, so possibly this was actually an RAF vehicle. Perhaps he was allowed to purchase gas from the base. If anyone has heard of a Woodie being used by the RAF or RCAF, let me know. Photo: Arthur Norris Collection

Name:	Picton97.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	100488
Old 24-06-18, 15:41

Default RCAF Woodies

Hanno.

Back in the 1980’s, in the St. Andrews area just North of Winnipeg, the Sigfusson family used to live. Their claim to fame was the construction of Winter Roads each year in Northern Manitoba.

In their workshop beside the family home, they had a wartime, military Dodge (a 3/4-ton I think) with the steel military front but an all wood ‘Carryall’ style body. The front doors had “R.C.A.F.” stenciled on them still visible but the Station “Y-Number” under it was too faded to read clearly.

The family was winding up business at the time and I asked if the truck was for sale. It was not, but they did confirm it was purchased from Crown Assets sometime postwar and was still all original. About 10 years later it showed up for sale just northEast of Winnipeg near Lockport and then disappeared. Around 2005 one of our club members mentioned a friend of his had purchased an old Dodge that looked to have RCAF history. The description matched this vehicle but we heard nothing further about it.

Not sure if it qualifies as a true Woodie, which I think were Civilian models only, but thought I would mention it.

David
Old 24-06-18, 18:12

Default Interesting Read

Hi Hanno

Thanks for sharing the link http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNe...he-Record.aspx

This is quite and interesting read with many good photos. Glad the recollections of service during the Second World War are be set down and documented with photos.

That the base has apparently survived with many of its buildings still in visual good shape is something. Wonder if it has ever been used as a movie/TV site?

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 27-06-18, 18:42

Default Interesting Read

Certainly was a great read and collection of period and now photos. Just goes to show some places change very little, even with the passing of time.
Old 27-06-18, 18:52

Default '41 Ford Woodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
The Ford Woodie pictured here is most likely a Car, Station Wagon, Ford C11AS - or rather, the left-hand drive variant for domestic use.
Certainly is a '41 Ford Station Wagon. although difficult to determine colour although from the second 'refilling' shot it appears to be in gloss. Being a left hand drive would not have the designation C11AS as this was specific for the limited number made under military contract and RH drive. Have seen several photos of the LH model in service, usually in the middle east, which I have assumed were of US production. Was my understanding Windsor mainly produced models for the commonwealth export market but willing to stand corrected.
Old 25-11-21, 14:51
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian McCallum View Post
Certainly is a '41 Ford Station Wagon. although difficult to determine colour although from the second 'refilling' shot it appears to be in gloss. Being a left hand drive would not have the designation C11AS as this was specific for the limited number made under military contract and RH drive. Have seen several photos of the LH model in service, usually in the middle east, which I have assumed were of US production. Was my understanding Windsor mainly produced models for the commonwealth export market but willing to stand corrected.
Thanks for the ID. I reckon it is gloss paint, as it was a vehicle built for domestic use (i.e. in Canada).

For domestic use LHD was specified as at home Canada drove on the right. Ford and GM Canada built both LHD for domestic and RHD for export. The latter was the largest part of production, especially during WW2.
Old 27-11-21, 16:20
GM Fox I

I've spent many hours at the BCATP station at Picton. It is a snapshot in time and, other than weather, is almost as it was in 1945. Not anymore, but when I was there in the 1980's it still had DC-3's and DC-4's on the tarmac.
Old 28-11-21, 13:30
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Parker View Post
It is a snapshot in time and, other than weather, is almost as it was in 1945.
Climate Change, eh? It's getting worse!