MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 15-06-13, 07:09

Default Air soft guns

Replica ww 2 site Excellent copies of ww2 and other Guns. They will ship to Canada www.evike.com ( dont forget the Thompsons at Princess auto,
Regards
Jeff
Old 15-06-13, 14:53
carrier mech

There are some things to watch out for when importing the airsofts. Customs may/will consider them a replica and seize them if they do not meet certain criteria. I believe that the RCMP recently determined that 368 feet per second is the requirement to cause bodily harm (apparently they tested against a pig's eye....poor pig). So if you are above that level, you are ok. But if you are under, then it's a replica and prohibited from importation. As well, if you have a replica that does not meet that threshold, it has to be locked up when at home, and transported as if it is a restricted firearm.
Old 15-06-13, 22:43

Default Replica weapons

Evike .com sells Replica Stens and Thompsons BAR Rifles ect...
Cheaper than Buying dewats they will ship to Canada and also up the Feet per second to Make them a legal Pellet Rifle.
but I suggest getting you Thomson from Princess Auto.
Regards
Jeff
P.S
I posted this last Night but the post seems to have been Deleted
Old 16-06-13, 01:09
carrier mech

There are some things to watch out for when importing the airsofts. Customs may/will consider them a replica and seize them if they do not meet certain criteria. I believe that the RCMP recently determined that 368 feet per second is the requirement to cause bodily harm (apparently they tested against a pig's eye....poor pig). So if you are above that level, you are ok. But if you are under, then it's a replica and prohibited from importation.

As well, if you have a replica that does not meet that threshold, it has to be locked up when at home, and transported as if it is a restricted firearm. It also cannot be sold, given or bartered to anyone who does not have the license to acquire them (mostly movie prop houses.)
Old 16-06-13, 01:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
There are some things to watch out for when importing the airsofts. Customs may/will consider them a replica and seize them if they do not meet certain criteria. I believe that the RCMP recently determined that 368 feet per second is the requirement to cause bodily harm (apparently they tested against a pig's eye....poor pig). So if you are above that level, you are ok. But if you are under, then it's a replica and prohibited from importation.

As well, if you have a replica that does not meet that threshold, it has to be locked up when at home, and transported as if it is a restricted firearm. It also cannot be sold, given or bartered to anyone who does not have the license to acquire them (mostly movie prop houses.)
I'm a little bemused at your regs and not withstanding more than a liitle confused at Australian regs.
So if your imported 'weapon' can shoot a projectile at greater than 368 fps. You can have it, otherwise it's a replica which is not allowed.
I went past an adult store in a nearby Victorian (Aust) town which is selling replica guns, rifles & pistols, SMLE, Thompson, AK, Luger etc. The pistols have red grips and a red mussle cover. The rifles etc just Red mussle covers. They are non firing but apparently the red allows him to circumnavigate the Australian gun laws....
I don't want to enter or create a debate. I'm just a little bemused.
Cheers Tim
Old 16-06-13, 03:13
carrier mech

If the gun shoots over 500 feet per second, and has over 5.7 joules of force, then it is considered a firearm that requires the possessor to have a license. But if it is under 500 fps, but can cause bodily harm, then it is a firearm that does not need the possessor to be licensed. If it shoots under 366 (recently reduced from 400 fps) and closely copies the look of a real firearm, then it is a replica. Replicas are in a special prohibited class in Canada.

That was because too often, Canada's misguided youth would use them for fundraising efforts, during which the police would often shoot these misguided youth. The mother would then wail that the police should have checked the gun first or else shot it out of their had before shooting their poor son, who was just turning their life around.

As a result of these events, the chiefs of police in Canada requested that replicas be banned for sale, manufacture, and import.

Deactivated firearms, however, are in their own class. They do not require registration, safe storage, transport regulations, and can be bought or sold to anyone. They are usually expensive, however, which is probably why the poor misguided youth don't get into trouble with them.

Clear as mud?

Last edited by rob love; 16-06-13 at 20:43.
Old 16-06-13, 04:17
GM Fox I

And, in Canada, a soft metal replica 30 cal. Browning displayed on a restored WW2 vehicle at an air show is considered exactly the same as a plastic .357 Smith & Wesson held by a Toronto downtown 'yuth'.

Quote:
If the gun shoots over 500 feet per second, and has over 5.7 joules of force, then it is considered a firearm that requires a license to have. But if it is under 500 fps, but can cause bodily harm, then it is a weapon that does not need to be licensed. If it shoots under 368 (recently reduced from 400 fps) and closely copies the look of a real firearm, then it is a replica. Replicas are in a special prohibited class in Canada.

That was because too often, Canada's misguided youth would use them for fundraising efforts, during which the police would often shoot these misguided youth. The mother would then wail that the police should have checked the gun first or else shot it out of their had before shooting their poor son, who was just turning their life around.

As a result of these events, the chiefs of police in Canada requested that replicas be banned for sale, manufacture, and import.

Deactivated firearms, however, are in their own class. They do not require registration, safe storage, transport regulations, and can be bought or sold to anyone. They are usually expensive, however, which is probably why the poor misguided youth don't get into trouble with them.

Clear as mud?
Old 16-06-13, 04:56
RIP

Quote:
If the gun shoots over 500 feet per second, and has over 5.7 joules of force, then it is considered a firearm that requires a license to have. But if it is under 500 fps, but can cause bodily harm, then it is a weapon that does not need to be licensed. If it shoots under 368 (recently reduced from 400 fps) and closely copies the look of a real firearm, then it is a replica. Replicas are in a special prohibited class in Canada....
Actually, if it causes 'bodily harm' (by policy 368+ fps) then it is also a firearm. If it discharges at greater than 500fps then it is a firearm for the purpose of registration.

When I worked within this system I was always ticked off at the police who insisted on this law when there were already laws on the books that addressed using 'anything' (a stick, pipe, etc) as a weapon, was illegal - then refusing to enforce it when requested. I pushed for the repeal of this specific section but was (pardon the pun) shot down.

Clive
Old 16-06-13, 05:37
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post
Actually, if it causes 'bodily harm' (by policy 368+ fps) then it is also a firearm. If it discharges at greater than 500fps then it is a firearm for the purpose of registration.
Clive
Actually, I made a boo-boo on the fps. The airsoft/firearm threshold is 366 fps.

I did not use the terminology of "requires registration" since we have repealed the non-restricted (majority of longarms) registration of firearms in Canada. We do, however, still require a firearms license for the "over 500 fps and 5.7 joules" firearms. But I did use the word "weapon" instead of firearm, so I have amended my post to reflect that change, along with the FPS.

Last edited by rob love; 16-06-13 at 20:44.
Old 16-06-13, 13:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff davis View Post
Evike .com sells Replica Stens and Thompsons BAR Rifles ect...

just buy from a Canadian retailer. Avoid the shipping and customs issues. There are number of retailers with there products in stock.

here is a link to a local retailer that I have dealt with

http://www.ventureairsoft.ca/
http://www.ventureairsoft.ca/item.ph...a131c66cbe5846

The local re-enactors have purchased numerous items for use at events and I usually set up a firing range at the Halifax Citadel with various WWII guns. Big hit with both the kids and parents.

Primary Email: dayammiee@netscape.net
Secondary Email: markcooper@eastlink.ca
Old 16-06-13, 16:03
that halftrack guy

Yep, I talked to my neighbor a few farms up from me, Conservative house leader Peter Van Loan about getting this ridiculous law changed and he gave me the same crap, conservative government scrapped the long gun registry blaa blaa blaa. In short no more plans to change any gun laws. I had to go buy a dewat 50 bmg for the halftrack (which cost me huge). And that's why dewats are so expensive here in Canada, its the only thing your going to get to owing that gun that so many of us cant. Importing a dewat is also a huge hassle as Canada considers it a firing weapon which means only a person/business that has the licence to own can import till it is verified its deactivated to Canadian standards
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Parker View Post
And, in Canada, a soft metal replica 30 cal. Browning displayed on a restored WW2 vehicle at an air show is considered exactly the same as a plastic .357 Smith & Wesson held by a Toronto downtown 'yuth'.
Old 16-06-13, 16:23
carrier mech

The current customs rules, combined with the firearms center rules, made importation of a dewat virtually impossible. However, there has been a recent successful importation of a good number of dewats by this company: http://www.kopfjager-militaria.com/store.htm. It took them some 16 months from start to finish, and the guns are welded up pretty solid.

If you go to that link, click on the "deactivated weapons" page. Unfortunately for most of us, it is primarily communist bloc guns. I saw many of these at the Calgary gun show this year, and was impressed by the quality and variety of what they had, although I see a lot of it has since sold out. The SA6 has me almost ready to make a road trip to Edmonton. I did pick up one of their ZB37s at the show, and it really showed the Bren gun's lineage.

The link Marc has shown for the airsofts is also a good one. Very reasonably priced, although personally, I would rather spend the money on a dewat, which appreciated in value and has some history.
Attached Images

Old 16-06-13, 17:03

Default Airsoft

Good Discussion and some more links for us.
The Guns from this Company come with a Chronometer reading.and that is all Customs at the border care about Good to get non weapons of Historic look into the Country. I do not mind losing a Airsoft rather than a Dewat.
I would like an Airesoft Bren for the Carrier
Regards
Jeff
Old 16-06-13, 21:01
MLU Administrator

Quote:
I posted this last Night but the post seems to have been Deleted
Hello Jeff,

It wasn't deleted but moved to the Sergeants' Mess. Just like I have done with your new thread by merging it with the first one.

Regards,
Hanno
MLU Administrator
Old 17-06-13, 03:40

Default Thread move

Thanks Hanno I cannot see the forest for the Trees sometimes
Jeff
Old 17-06-13, 17:25

Quote:
If the gun shoots over 500 feet per second, and has over 5.7 joules of force, then it is considered a firearm that requires the possessor to have a license. But if it is under 500 fps, but can cause bodily harm, then it is a firearm that does not need the possessor to be licensed. If it shoots under 366 (recently reduced from 400 fps) and closely copies the look of a real firearm, then it is a replica. Replicas are in a special prohibited class in Canada.

Clear as mud?
Hmmm I fail to see the downside of the above scenario. What were the mothers complaining about?
Old 17-06-13, 19:04
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Thanks Hanno I cannot see the forest for the Trees sometimes
Jeff,

No problem, that's why us moderators are here - to guide you through the forest

Hanno
Old 17-06-13, 19:28
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Moon View Post
Hmmm I fail to see the downside of the above scenario. What were the mothers complaining about?
I believe that the mothers (at least in Manitoba anyway) actually have a script they use for these events. The script includes:

a) The police should have reasoned with him/tasered him/shot him/checked the gun to see if it was real/loaded or else shot it out of his hand

b) Sure he got into trouble.....what kid doesn't. But he was just about to turn his life around.

Often, the youth, who may be only 17 to 19, is leaving behind 2 to 3 children already, and was actually/eventually/maybe going to marry the mother of one of them, or else his now pregnant girl friend. He was or had been considering becoming a policeman or possibly a social worker himself.

Thankfully, today's progressive and well thought out gun laws are making the above speeches redundant. Well, not really, since the misguided youth don't really follow the laws in the first place, but it all looks good on paper.