MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MLU ADMIN > TAC HQ

Notices

Old 05-02-08, 13:56
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vets Dottir 2nd View Post
Hi GEOFF ... I don't see the ability to be able to allow/send other members email directly from the forum, like we could in the older forum. PM's yes. Emails NO. I looked in my user CP to find an option for that but found nothing. I don't know if that function just doesn't come with this new upgrade, or ??? Sorry if it's right in front of my eyes and I'm missing it somehow ... ?

Your head must be spinning with all the upgrade and forum work you've had to be doing on top of everything else you have on the go
Done. Click on their name to email them through the system.

And yes, my head is turned around backwards right now, but there's a lot more yet to be sorted!
Old 05-02-08, 14:28

Default Lots of hard work

Realize that a lot of the changes were necessary to keep up and ahead of outside forces.

It will take some exploring to find all the changes and how to use them.

Do notice the spell check feature, thank you from those of us who are spelling chanllenged.

One question, and it may be that I just have not found it yet, where is the new posts since you last logged on?

Keep up the good work and thanks

Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 05-02-08, 14:37
Vets Dottir 2nd

Excellent!!! Thanks for turning that on

And I believe you completely about lots more to be done. Seems like most, if not all, of the most important stuff is functional "enough" for you to breathe and rest a bit more than you have done the last couple or so days, but then again, I know it takes a lot of time configure a forum etc ... good thing this isn't from scratch where you have to build all the forums categories and areas from scratch, hey?
Old 05-02-08, 14:43
Vets Dottir 2nd

Oh and BTW ... if you can find a way to make the admins names highlighted from the rest somehow for members to easily spot 'em/us, that would be cool too. I didn't see any options for that either

(I've seen other forums, this version, admins aren't "bold or italics" but they are different colours for members to spot in the crowd)

Old 05-02-08, 14:47
Vets Dottir 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Waterman View Post
One question, and it may be that I just have not found it yet, where is the new posts since you last logged on?

Keep up the good work and thanks

Phil
Hi Phil,

Look above to the top of this page's menu bar where it says "New Posts" I believe THAT one shows you all posts since your last visit ... in the "Quick Links" you can view just "Todays Posts" I think.

Just play with the links to see what's in them too, many have dropdown menus of more options etc, which is what I'm doing too to learn my way around in here
Old 05-02-08, 15:10
Vets Dottir 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vets Dottir 2nd View Post
I don't "get" the plus (+) signs after some names in the who's online, seems most
have that but I don't. Don't know it's signifigance and just letting you know.

Karmen
Hey, I found out what those "+" signs after names are all about ... those with them are on my Buddy List
Old 05-02-08, 15:20
Dog Robber

Hi all:

Just a couple of random thoughts.

Geoff may remember that he helped me investigate starting my own vBulletin forum a couple of years ago. It was to be a site devoted strictly to soft skins of the period 1935-1945.

What I learned from Geoff was that in no way was I going to set up my own forum. I can only admire him for having set this one up in the first place and then having to make a major upgrade to a version with a lot of new templates and choices.

For those of you who have never investigated the possibility, the choices go on for page after page and the language is very computer geeky. As I recall, there were few warning signs that if you "did this" it would "affect that".

And, if it goes gunny sack, as MLU sort of did last week, you have two choices. You can open a "ticket" and they will try to fix what may be a problem on their end. You are then left to do all the repairs to your own forum after they fixed the problem or, in this case, did a major upgrade to a new version.

Or, and this was the path I would have had to take, you pay them to do everything from A to Z and that is very expensive.

Geoff deserves one hell of a lot of credit for doing most of it himself.

Second observation.

This is a "photo rich" forum and thank goodness for that. But, photos take bandwidth and slow down the response times.

Personal opinion only, but I think the thumbnail option is probably better for all of us. It is in it's own way, as state of the art as getting all of the photos to show up in their original size, just more efficient.

I also like the feature that allows you to choose to load from your own data base or an img from another location on the first go.

Just some thoughts for today.
Bill
Old 05-02-08, 18:20

Geoff you did good to upgrade to this new version, it looks good and handles easily

wim

Btw will the forummeister be requiring a test e-mail from this side of the world?
Old 05-02-08, 19:26
Richard Notton

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpearce View Post
A present for Jif
Good Heavens!

The aptly named Cherry is hardly dressed appropriately for the snow, she'll end up with them big enough to tie up the Torrey Canyon*.

R.

(* Younger Britons and those not directly under E2R may have to do some Googling)
Old 05-02-08, 19:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wim sikkelbein View Post
Geoff you did good to upgrade to this new version, it looks good and handles easily

wim

Btw will the forummeister be requiring a test e-mail from this side of the world?
So far so good Wim, but thanks for asking! Server glitches aside, so far this seems to be working well. Just remember that if we get into the do-do for whatever reason, I always have my corowa30 sympatico address running anyway, so I'm never out of comms.

Bill, I thank you for your comments, but I should point out that all I did with this one was to set it up, coach them along and try to keep things pointed in the right direction while everyone went nuts! I was configuring this up until last night at about 2230, and there's lots left to go yet! Putting one's own signature on things is sometimes more difficult than what they do, but that's only because I'm a picky bastard at heart...

Let's hope this works as well as it seems to on into the future. I know already that spam traffic is going to be far easier to control, and code-wise, it runs far more efficiently than the old package.
Old 05-02-08, 20:57

Default Welcome Back

It'll take some time to have a look around, so far looking good. Gotta have my daily lurk! Thanks!
Cheers, Bill
Old 06-02-08, 00:09
Vets Dottir 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball View Post
Let's hope this works as well as it seems to on into the future. I know already that spam traffic is going to be far easier to control, and code-wise, it runs far more efficiently than the old package.
Thats all great to hear!!!

EVERYONE: I can NOT access MLU through the .org address again since yesterday. Anyone else having that problem? I'm wondering if I need a new and fuller link rather than the simple mlu org/forums one I currently use ...

Thanks.
Old 06-02-08, 03:17
Vets Dottir 2nd

Ok ... I just finally got in again through the .org address and currently in on it I hope its stays good for me! I guess I'm the only one having a problem with this as no one else has complained ...
Old 06-02-08, 03:26
Vets Dottir 2nd

Hey. something I like that I noticed with email notifications is that the posted messages are included in the notification now so I can read it at my email address and then go to the forum if I want to reply, don't have to make an special trip in order to view the post/message. An efficient little time saver for busy people who don't get much time online I should think? Anyways ... just wanted to mention I LIKE IT
Old 06-02-08, 05:02
WO8 C15A 142736

Karmen I have to use the basement door at the moment. Robert.
Old 06-02-08, 05:27
Vets Dottir 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpearce View Post
Karmen I have to use the basement door at the moment. Robert.
Hi Robert ... by THAT do you mean the .org address does not work for you either?

I happen to be in through .org again so for whatever reasons, it's working for me at the moment. My own computer is a mess currently, until I can sort it out, so I wouldn't be surprized if this is more a problem with my own end but time will tell. If others still having this problem too then ... I dunno what to think :
Old 06-02-08, 09:34
WO8 C15A 142736

No .org has not worked for me all day. I have loged on three times and had to use tortuga each time.
Old 06-02-08, 09:40
Vets Dottir 2nd

Well that's a drag I'm getting in off and on all day via .org but often have to use other access links again today too.

Wonder who else might still be having access troubles. I wonder if we cleared out all our cookies and deleted the mlu bookmarks then re-bookmarked anew, if that starting from scratch might help? I dunno :
Old 06-02-08, 10:09

Have found the links to PM and email from within MLU by left clicking on the persons name. This will reveil a drop down menu with several options relating to that member including email, PM, viewing profile and some other options.
Old 06-02-08, 18:24
Mr. HUP

Geoff,

Nice to see the large range of calendar years. Are you reserving input rights for moderators only? Do you have a protocol in mind for adding events?
Old 06-02-08, 19:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHClarke View Post
Geoff,

Nice to see the large range of calendar years. Are you reserving input rights for moderators only? Do you have a protocol in mind for adding events?
Haven't gotten there yet, Rob... but I'll look into it tonight! I suppose you want Gracies on there...
Old 07-02-08, 02:45

Geoff, tonight when I tried to view Bob Carrier's photos nothing happened but a message did appear at the bottom of my screen:

Popups were blocked on this page. Press "Ctrl" key when clicking to allow pop ups.

I have never seen this before but could it be some glitch in my computer?
Barry

Every twenty minute job is one broken bolt away from a three day ordeal.
Old 07-02-08, 02:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Churcher View Post
Geoff, tonight when I tried to view Bob Carrier's photos nothing happened but a message did appear at the bottom of my screen:

Popups were blocked on this page. Press "Ctrl" key when clicking to allow pop ups.

I have never seen this before but could it be some glitch in my computer?
Barry
No, I don't think so, Barry... but I haven't had time to learn everything here yet. It's a completely new package compared to the old one...
Old 07-02-08, 03:44
M38A1 CDN3

OK...I've re-logged in. Am I really here? Will my avatar show up?

Why is life so bloody complicated?

Here goes..."Submit reply".
Old 07-02-08, 03:47
M38A1 CDN3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Skagfeld View Post
OK...I've re-logged in. Am I really here? Will my avatar show up?

Why is life so bloody complicated?

Here goes..."Submit reply".
Wow!!! I'm here!!! So, what's with the different coloured balls after one's name. I know what they activate, but why the colours?
Old 07-02-08, 05:24
Vets Dottir 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Skagfeld View Post
Wow!!! I'm here!!! So, what's with the different coloured balls after one's name. I know what they activate, but why the colours?

Your Avatar shows up fine Jon ... and hurrah, am glad you're in!

Do you find pages load better and faster for you with all the
pictures made into thumbnails and links now? Just wondering
as I know you're on slow dialup or something

Yappy
Old 07-02-08, 05:26
Vets Dottir 2nd

When the little balls are green, they aren't hurtin', just showing you're online right now Greyed out means not online
Old 07-02-08, 11:31

Good work Geoff!

It was really frustrating to find out that our beloved forum was offline for a while. Anyway, it's good we are online again and with several new features to discover.

So far so good, if you ask me. I do have to agree with Tony that inserting pictures in messages is a little odd. Linked pictures from other websites seem to show up in full size, while uploaded pictures into the forum are only shown as a link or as the small thumbnail. I hope there is a way to make pictures visible full (700px) size like before, but I haven't got a clue what that means in terms of programming.

Alex
Old 07-02-08, 12:17

I just had a go with the search function. You can now launch a search directly after another, in stead of having to wait 30 seconds

I did try searches like "C8", "C15" and "cwt", which doesn't result in any matches. The problem seems to be the length of the word, just like on our previous forum version. "Chev" and "C60X" does result in hits. So, it seems your word needs at least 4 figures......or is the "no Chevrolet matches" function "on"

Alex
Old 07-02-08, 13:23
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex van de Wetering View Post
I just had a go with the search function. You can now launch a search directly after another, in stead of having to wait 30 seconds

I did try searches like "C8", "C15" and "cwt", which doesn't result in any matches. The problem seems to be the length of the word, just like on our previous forum version. "Chev" and "C60X" does result in hits. So, it seems your word needs at least 4 figures......or is the "no Chevrolet matches" function "on"

Alex
Alex
Use your (*) as a wildcard..
Or C8**
Should work..
Alex