MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 20-07-16, 02:05
Brian Asbury

Default Brand Names: Chev vs GM

We refer to GM CMP trucks as Chev's (Chevrolet) rather than GM's (General Motors of Canada Ltd.). A couple of reasons are that Chev "bowtie" emblem is often is on the front grill or as a logo on Driver's Handbooks (but not on any serial number data plates as far as I know). Vanderveen's Observer's Guide refers to most trucks and gun tractors as Chevrolets but uses GM when referring to the C15TA, Otter and Fox. Do you call your C15TA a GM or a Chev? Can anyone explain the structure of General Motors in Canada during WW2 to explain the brand name variations.
Old 20-07-16, 02:32

Brian I am going to take a stab at answering your question. General Motors Company and GMC is both an acronym and a brand. GMC and Chevrolet are different brands both under the General Motors banner. In my opinion the same basic truck or car for many years with different badges. The Ford Motor Company had Ford's and Mercury. The same truck but the Merc was not sold in the USA. The Dodge brothers had Plymouth, Chrysler, Dodge, Desoto and Fargo. I don't think it mattered much if you had a Dodge or a Fargo. My 1942 Fox was call a GMC Fox but I think the manual had the GM symbol on the cover.
Old 20-07-16, 02:51

I think the GMC's must have been a different organization, 270 motors different trans, master cylinders etc the C60X, a GMC, is surprisingly different from the other Chev CMP's Were they assembled in a different plant?
Old 20-07-16, 04:22

GMC vehicles had different specifications to ordinary Chevrolet and then you had heavy duty Maple Leaf vehicles which while still looking like a Chevrolet version often had heavier axles, brakes and steering then their lighter Chevrolet cousin.

As to Chrysler Corporation Fargo was the export version of the Dodge and Plymouth commercial vehicles. Plus a lot of exports to NZ were smaller Plymouth bodied vehicles rebadged as Chrysler, Dodge, Desoto etc.

As to the Chevrolet C60X 6X6 this was a British/Commonwealth truck designed to compete with the American GMC-CCKW 6X6. It had to have the bigger engine to try and put power to 6 drive wheels rather then 4.

Have no idea why the CMP based Chevrolet C15TA etc were called GM's rather than Chevrolets

Hope this helps

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Old 20-07-16, 04:31
carrier mech

A good page with the history of Chevrolet/GM Canada can be found on this page: http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/corporat...history/detail

There is a section that covers GM Canada and explains the union of automakers quite well.
Old 20-07-16, 05:21
Lionel G. Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
A good page with the history of Chevrolet/GM Canada can be found on this page: http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/corporat...history/detail

There is a section that covers GM Canada and explains the union of automakers quite well.
Hello All,

Here is a link about the GMC history Accessed July 20th 2016 from, https://history.gmheritagecenter.com..._Truck_History

Kind Regards
Lionel
Series III ex-Military Land Rovers x 2