MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 25-02-05, 23:39
RIP

Default Eighth Army Patch-First Div-Italy

A few years ago there were comments on a thread I started as to where the patch(a black shield with a gold cross ) was worn and I appreciated the input.But,there were doubters as to where I cut out the patch from my dad's battledress blouse which I still proudly have in my possesion..This morning I was watching CBC Newsworld reporting the anniversary of Radio Canada International which was started during the war to reach out to our troops overseas.They were showing black & white film of troops overseas,a lot of carrier film,which I've never seen,when,lo & behold,they show the left side of a corporaal,sitting at a desk,and what do I see!!!???From his left shoulder at the top is his unit shoulder flash,a few inches down,THE EIGHTH ARMY PATCh exactly in the location where I cut it out(Thought I was losing my mind from some of the thread comments),and below,his corporal stripes.I rest my case-Game set and matched-au revoir la visit.Check it out on your local news broadcast tonight.
Old 25-02-05, 23:43
RIP

Default Oh yes and I forgot!!

Below his unit flash was his red 1st div patch,then the 8th army shield-LOL
Old 27-02-05, 23:33
48th Highlander

Default Eighth army shoulder patch

Hi Gary:
Here is a little history on the Crusader patch of the Eighth army.
I am sure my old memory won't be perfect but I know Mark could fill in my blank memory lapses. Canadian army personal who were attached to units in Africa during that campaign were entitled to wear the 8th Army Crusader patch. During my time in Italy and Sicily the first division was part of the eighth army as were Poles, Greeks, Indians, etc. The first division wore a straight red patch When I came home on a 30 day leave in April 1945 I had been home 15 days when I went back to the unit pay office for more money. They were signing up for the Pacific operations which I happily did as I guess I was homesick for the regiment. But some one told me I was entitled to wear the Eighth Army Crusader patch. I still do not know whether this was a military order or where the hell I got it from. By the way Gary in 1943 they reformed the Pioneer Platoon into two assault demolision and one tradesman section. One of my officers in "B" Company told me that they were getting there own dispatch rider with a brand new Nortons motorcycle. I of course jumped at it. To make a long story short after 3 accidents and the bike looking like it had been run over by a tank, they told me my riding days were over. I wound up digging mines in Italy. Boy did I miss that motorcycle. Sorry for the long old vets story but what fun it is having a captive audience on the MLU. In the attachment below you will see and actual picture of the patch I wore in the bottom right hand corner. Legal or ill-legal?
Attached Thumbnails
8th army patch.jpg  
Old 28-02-05, 03:27
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Hi Norm
For young fellas like myself, tales such as yours are a real treat indeed.
Sadly, as each day goes on, we lose more and more of the stories forever as veterans make their way from this world.
Here in Canada, I believe that Veteran's Affairs or War Amps has launched a campain to visit and record veterans stories for generations to come.
On another note, I ask myself how many 17 and 18 year old punks of today could do what you guys did. Probably very few.
Think I know a few kids 'round town that I'd send off to dig mines...

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 28-02-05, 03:30
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Gary, please excuse my ignorance, but I just have to know. I see guys postscript with "LOL".
Must be a total computer illiterate, but after seeing this week after week I need answers>>> :

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 28-02-05, 06:16
Art Johnson

Default Norm Cromie

You really want to get Norm to tell you some of the stories of the patrols in Italy.

Aye Dileas

PS: Thanks for the rain Norm we needed it.
Old 28-02-05, 20:48
48th Highlander

Default Eight army patch

Art:
It is great that you and Catherine have not turned into a solar cinder with all that Florida sunshine. I somehow think of you as that groundhog that comes out to take a peak at the Canada weather map before you make a move north again. Have Karman and Geoff sent you a bowl of vegemite yet? Do they roast it, fry it or boil it. or eat it on a stick like a popcicle? I sure hope those Chappies down under will excuse me not knowing the right culinary use of this weird food stuff. Do they fish for it,shoot it or harvest it? Anyways it is always good to hear from you guys.
Old 28-02-05, 22:20
RIP

Quote:
Originally posted by chris vickery
Gary, please excuse my ignorance, but I just have to know. I see guys postscript with "LOL".
Must be a total computer illiterate, but after seeing this week after week I need answers>>> :
LOL-laughs out loud
Old 28-02-05, 22:26
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Eighth army shoulder patch

Quote:
Originally posted by Norm Cromie
Sorry for the long old vets story but what fun it is having a captive audience on the MLU.
By all means, please keep telling us your long old vets stories - thank you!

Hanno
Old 28-02-05, 22:58
Vets Dottir

Default 2nd

I second Hanno's encouragement Norm Without you and your memories and stories ... well ... MLU wouldn't have been born, not even as a concept.

(I hope all is well with you and Betty ... )

Karmen
Old 01-03-05, 03:50
GM Fox I

Default 8th Army Patch

on the epaulet of an Royal Canadian Dragoons (1st Corps) battledress.
Attached Thumbnails
rcd bd.jpg  
Old 04-03-05, 00:12
48th Highlander

Default Eighth army patch

Bruce
Where did you take this photo and may I enquire who the uniform belonged to? I have never seen and insignia on an epaulet before (other than rank) Just curious .
Norm.
Old 04-03-05, 01:02
GM Fox I

Default Shoulder Patches

Norm, I've seen several battledress from Canadians in Itally that had the 8th Army patch on the epaulet. Here's a picture of a PPCLI on his way home with one. I've also seen 21st Army Group patches on the epaulets of 1st Can Parachute Bn. jackets.

I'm not sure who's jacket this was, but it's one of my collection now.
Attached Images

Old 04-03-05, 06:17
48th Highlander

Default Eighth army patches

Bruce
Thank you for your excellent photograph of the army uniform with the crusader patch. The patch on the Pats was a surprise to me. I am always interested in any information or photos of the operations in Italy and Sicily. As you know we had several uniform changes seasonally. Are you a collector Bruce? Art Johnson has informed me that the red diamond signified Corp troops who provided Corps headquarters protection. The red square patch as you know was 1st Canadian division. I would sure like to see any other photos you have, MLU gives a wonderful chance to renew my memory as I am 84 now.
Old 04-03-05, 06:25
Art Johnson

Default Crusader Patch

Bruce I have seen this picture before I believe it indicates a soldier who was on 8th Army Staff. You will notice that the other soldiers in the picture are not wearing that patch. Certainly those soldiers in an active battle unit would not want to wear a badge indicating that they were base wallas. The picture below shows men of the 48th in Sicily, they are not wearing the Crusader Patch:

Old 04-03-05, 06:39
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Magnificent picture, Art, thank you.
Old 04-03-05, 12:30

Default 8th Army patch on epaulette

Some time ago, before Maple Leaf migrated to this new board, there was a thread on the use of the 8th Army formation patch on the epaulette. The understanding was that many of the soldiers of the 1st Canadian Corps felt very strongly about their association with the famous 8th Army. After the move to NW Europe 1st Corps units were part of the 1st Canadian Army, and lost the association with the 8th. Many wished to maintain the connection. To do so, they added the 8th Army formation patch to the epaulette of their best battledress, and wore it with great pride as they were repatriated to Canada.
I have seen several tunics patched the same way as the one that Bruce illlustrated.
The other tunic patching that is discussed in this thread, with the 8th Army patch on the sleeve may have been used as Art suggests, for troops attached for staff duties.
Old 04-03-05, 18:44
48th Highlander

Default Eighth army patch

Thanks again to all you guys on MLU for clearing up the eighth army patch. A little side note. The photo that Art submitted brings me back to the early days of Sicily. The chap on the left by the name of Gray was killed some time later. The Padre in the center was named East. What an excellent soldier he was. During the morning of the attack on the Hitler line our guys and support tanks were really under heavy fire and taking a lot of casualties and I well remember six foot Padre East running around comforting and attending the wounded, with his height he was a real target. He was finally hit but only wounded. He sure was a fine soldier in my eyes. These photos sure refresh my memory.
Old 04-03-05, 23:13
RIP

Default I Agree on Staff Duties

Upon returning home the dodger was attached to Quebec command HQ as a staff driver,and that's where I found the 8th patch on his battledress blouse that he wore on duty.Later in the 50's when the were issued summer dress,both the patch & the 1st Div red patch disappeared.So I suspect different units wore it in different spotsupon returning home.Great input.