MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 27-11-06, 05:37

Default Pyrene brackets

Hi everyone

Im looking for 4 Pyrene fire extinguisher brackets. Please PM if you have any spare.

Here is the type Im after.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
pyrenebracket.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 27-11-06, 08:48

Jordan

Depending on what year your carrier is the standard Jeep pattern will do.

I asked a question some time ago on what brackets and extinguishers were used during the war without reply. From my own observations from mid war onwards the American pattern were being used. Perhaps other people can comment further.
Old 27-11-06, 19:20
M38A1 CDN3

Jordan:

Try giving Stewart Loy a call/e-mail.

With two carriers, he might just have a couple of these items surplus to his needs.

Failing that, if you wish (and have the machine shop ability), I'll unscrew my fixture from my CMP and send it to you for reproduction.
Old 28-11-06, 01:29

Thanks both of you for the help. I was hoping someone had some extra to their needs and would be willing to sell me some.

I will give Stewart as try. Stewart the email is on its way.

Jon, thanks for the offer but I will pass. I have one but it in really bad shape. My other problem is I have no machine shop abilities.

So anyone out there have some, even you overseas people im willing to have them shipped to me.

Jordan
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 30-11-06, 03:57
RIP

Default fire extinquishers

I got mine on Ebay -go to fire extinquishers
Old 04-12-06, 03:28

Thanks to all who helped me out. I managed to get three off of ebay over the last week. Luckily the brackets were all the same kind.

Counting in shipping and exchange I paid $60 CDN for each one with the bracket. i figured I did alright. Here is a picture of one of the ones I will be getting.
Attached Images

C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 08-12-06, 20:05

I jsut got my first one delivered today in the mail and the damn thing is full. I know this stuff is highly toxic so what do I do to dispose of it?
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 08-12-06, 20:24
carrier mech

First thing to do is determine if it is full of water or carbontetrachlorene. Many farmers refilled them with water.
The carbon tet can cause liver failure (just ask liberace, thats what got him). You can just go and dump it in a well ventilated place outdoors and it will disapate. It is akin to brake cleaner.
Old 08-12-06, 20:30

Default NOT/NOT the politically correct answer.

Find a dirty part that needs cleaning. Put it on a stand outdoors. Stand upwind and squirt away. In the new environmentally correct age, I'm sure that we are not supposed to do things this way, but people seriously used to get used carbon tetra-chloride (which is what I'm pretty sure is what they used in these extinguishers) from dry cleaners (they don't use carbon tet any more) to use for parts cleaning. No one seemd too worried about it at the time.
Old 08-12-06, 20:51
T-16, C15A

Default Food Posioning ?

Quote:
Originally posted by rob love

The carbon tet can cause liver failure (just ask liberace, thats what got him).
I was sure that Liberace died of fod poisioning - choked on a undercooked weiner was the way that I had heard he met his end.

Stewart
digging out in London
Old 08-12-06, 21:54

I just got back from cleaning it out. I poured out the contents and out came what looked like water with a green tinge to it. The stuff also really smelled. I then filled it up with water and empited it a few times to clean it out. I have now left it outside to air out. It wasn't full and only had maybe half a cup in it.

Thanks again for your tips

Jordan
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 09-12-06, 07:55
carrier mech

Default Re: Food Posioning ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Stewart Loy
I was sure that Liberace died of fod poisioning - choked on a undercooked weiner was the way that I had heard he met his end.

Stewart
digging out in London
Well, the carbon tet wasn't what killed him, it just killed his kidneys.

Quote:
November 1963, a year most of us will never forget. Liberace almost dies from renal failure.

He collapsed back stage during a performance after inhaling carbon tetrachloride, a cleaning chemical. He used it himself to clean one of his soiled costumes for that nights performance. Liberace decided to clean it himself in his hotel room. [/B]
His mother (all great musicians must, after all, have a domineering mother in their lives) went on to campaign to ban the stuff.
Old 09-12-06, 17:53
In Vino Veritas

Default liver kidneys

Don't forget that it can be absorbed directly through the skin and immediately proceeds to the liver and kidneys and starts its nefarious work there.
We won't even talk about trichloroethylene or MEK MethalEthalKetone , common industrial solvents and glues that will kill you pretty dead.
Sean
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 10-12-06, 04:11
Bluebell

Default Sean

I'll talk about it. The N.Z. Army had a "triche" bath in the recon shop in Trentham camp. It was magic. As I lowered the Landy (or 300 Bedford) engine block into it, the grease/gunge/paint just instantly disappeared , leaving a completely clean dry engine block. Never seen anything like it since.
The tank had a manifold of water running around the outside of it, and the hot "trichloroethylene"condenced at the level of the manifold.- A line above which nothing happened, but from that line down, everything was clean bare metal.
I didn't know it was "bad' stuff. Maybe thats why when I was discharged, my x-ray showed a problem with my lymph nodes.(nov. 1977)

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 10-12-06, 05:05
In Vino Veritas

Default Triche...

...I was working at a plastics company and they used a gallon of "triche" to dissolve a tube of silicon and then used it as a hand applied mould release for rotational moulding. Worked fantastic, but I cringed watching the guys use no mask and leather work gloves and a rag full of this stuff to apply it. The gloves became sodden and the fellows would just have that stuff soaking into their skin all day. I brought it and the WHMIS DATA sheet up to the boss and the 'severe' danger this stuff posed. I am not working there anymore.
If these chemicals are used correctly and safely , they are wonderous. But I have to wonder how many wage slaves die so the boss can have Cabriolet Porche instead of the plain old hardtop.
Hope your lymphs are okay now.
Incindentally, I mentioned it before, my uncle was a mechanic/welder/heavy duty mech all his life, gas is what you used to wash your hands and parts ( gas has the above 2 components in it by the way ). He died at a young 77 of 7 brain tumours. He had had bouts of cancer in his sixties also. Dying ain't no way to make a living, be careful ya'll, deliver pizza its safer.
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 10-12-06, 05:27
David Pope

I have a couple of these extinguishers that are full of Pyrene and I'll just leave them that way until the day I might have to use them. Why dump them? That stuff'll still put a fire out today as good as it would have 50 years ago.
Old 10-12-06, 10:13

Default MEK

I know you said you wouldn't talk about it but, what are the risks involved with MEK? I have just lined both fuel tanks with a liner that is diluted with MEK and the tanks are washed with it prior to lining. The product came in a 1 Litre tin with no directions or warnings on the label. Will I end up looking like Liberace?
Grant Fincher
Old 10-12-06, 18:05
In Vino Veritas

Default Re: MEK

Quote:
Originally posted by grant fincher
I know you said you wouldn't talk about it but, what are the risks involved with MEK? I have just lined both fuel tanks with a liner that is diluted with MEK and the tanks are washed with it prior to lining. The product came in a 1 Litre tin with no directions or warnings on the label. Will I end up looking like Liberace?
Grant Fincher
Here we have a system called WHMIS WORKPLACE HAZARDOUS MATERIALS INFORMATION SYSTEM. Within this system the manufacturer must supply a Label on the product and a Data sheet telling you the lethal dose 50 and associated know risks and proper handling procedures. If you take a small amount from a larger container you must even label the small container.
Again, legally , a supplier must readily supply such information if it is lost or destroyed , and they all do now. So you can contact the company for it or maybe search online for the info.
As a suggestion MOST of this stuff can be safely used with the proper resistant rubber gloves and a carbon filter mask and eye protection. Ideally a chemical resistant smock is used also, so you do not get it on your clothes and then have it sitting incontact with your skin. I think all would recommend a well ventilated area or outdoors also. And label all the little cans so someone doesn't come and think its water or turpentine etc.
Sean
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 10-12-06, 18:16
T-16, C15A

Default WHMIS

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowtractor
Here we have a system called WHMIS WORKPLACE HAZARDOUS MATERIALS INFORMATION SYSTEM. Within this system the manufacturer must supply a Label on the product and a Data sheet telling you the lethal dose 50 and associated know risks and proper handling procedures.
Sean,

The WHMIS is just that - for workplaces. If you get paid to use a product, then it needs to be labelled, the proper personal protective devices need to be employed when the product is used, and the product has to be disposed of properly when the job is done.

When a private citizen uses these products it is expected that the exposure is very low, so few of these regulations are mandatory to follow. Similarly, if a 'common' household product were to be brought into the workplace special labels and handling are required.

We have stopped using 'the best' stuff at work because it is 'too dangerous'. They farmed out all of the sandblasting due to the dangers of silicosis from airborne particles. I guess the non-union guys 2 blocks down the road are OK tho'. ( They are - I visit that factory often, and the owner is a responsible corporate citizen, and supporter of the local militia and MV community ).

Grant - if you want to look like Liberace you will probably need more than a solvent soaked rag, but it would be a good first step ... I have a box of gas tank from my friends at POR that has a solvent and pre-treatment wash that smells like it might pose heath risks - so I will use it outdoors with gloves on.

Stewart
Old 11-12-06, 03:48
carrier mech

At my girlfriends workplace (DND), they had to have a MSDS for the whiteout bottle. The WHMMIS monitor also wanted them to lock up the bottle at night.
Old 11-12-06, 05:43
In Vino Veritas

Default Material Safety Data Sheet

Quote:
At my girlfriends workplace (DND), they had to have a MSDS for the whiteout bottle. The WHMMIS monitor also wanted them to lock up the bottle at night.

LMAO

Sean
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 11-12-06, 12:35

Default MEK

I went on a detox regime straight away after reading your post.
3 beers and a further 3 beers today. If I start putting rhinestones on my clothing I'll tell you guys. So far the beer is working for me and I will stay clear of anything that doesn't smell like hops.
Grant Fincher
Old 12-12-06, 03:12
carrier mech

Default Re: Material Safety Data Sheet

Quote:
LMAO

Sean
LMAO you may, but I am dead serious.
Old 12-12-06, 17:04

Default DND Zealots

Quote:
I too work for DND, and like many large organizations they have a few people who are underemployed on real jobs and set themselves up as the "Czar of something not very important" that could otherwise be handled as someone else's secondary (or tertiary) duty. These people can be painful but because their activities have been blessed as motherhood issues by the chain of command it is hard to tell them where to shove it and make it stick.
Old 12-12-06, 21:06
carrier mech

Default Re: DND Zealots

Quote:
Originally posted by Grant Bowker
I too work for DND, and like many large organizations they have a few people who are underemployed on real jobs and set themselves up as the "Czar of something not very important" that could otherwise be handled as someone else's secondary (or tertiary) duty. These people can be painful but because their activities have been blessed as motherhood issues by the chain of command it is hard to tell them where to shove it and make it stick.
Well put. I can think of more than a few afternoons spent during my career watching movies like the "Xs and Os, everyone get along".
Basic training is meant to break down a man and build him back up into a soldier.....then they wait 10 years and give you sensitivity training.
Old 14-12-06, 07:07
In Vino Veritas

Default Re: Re: Material Safety Data Sheet

Quote:
LMAO you may, but I am dead serious.
Geez, I would hate to find out what would happen if a girlie picture accidentally got posted in the lunch room! Thank god our white out only has a note on it saying " please don't drink"
SEAN
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 14-12-06, 07:47
carrier mech

Default Re: Re: Re: Material Safety Data Sheet

Quote:
Geez, I would hate to find out what would happen if a girlie picture accidentally got posted in the lunch room! Thank god our white out only has a note on it saying " please don't drink"
SEAN
I have seen guys get a warning or a harrassment complaint for having a calender of fully dressed (but not ugly) women hanging in their office. We had one guy in Bosnia who had to take down photos in his own room of his wife, cause she was wearing nighties and stuff.
Thank God the Conservatives are in....hopefully the DND can now fund military endeavors instead of social engineering ones.
Old 15-12-06, 00:17

I work for a municipality as a mechanic and the small cylinders for the propane torch were the issue in our shop. It was OK for each mechanic to have one at his work bench but we could not stock extras unless they were stored in a vented explosion proof cabinet. It is funny how the Canadian Tire Store can have a hundred on the shelf for sale but we could not have three in the stock room!

Paul