MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 05-02-18, 04:56

Default Cab 12 Oil Filter Canister.....

Now that Alex has been looked after.....I am looking for some info/photos/filter numbers and the housing canister for an oil filter for a Cab 12 configuration. The engine is a 235 cu in, not a 216. Although I have canister configurations on my other vehicles, they are all Cab 13's. Any help would be appreciated.
Many thanks in advance....Robert
Old 05-02-18, 19:12

Default Filthy pictures....

..... taken years ago at one of the Caldswell gathering in Owen Sound.

Original 216 with large canister set up. You will need to fabricate special head bolts with threads at both end to attach to the head/engine block.

Caution: that little brass block that links the oil lines from the filter to the engine are "weathrhead" fittings....basically a reverse flare.....difficult to find today. Best bet is to have a machine shop make you a brass block that will take current flare fittings. Remember this is a by-pass filter.....pressure line toward the top the return line off the bottom just drips in the pan.

I beleive that the filter was a off the shelf item at the time and such "senior" large cannister and filters ares till available.

I have no info on part number...... I am sure someone else will supply that info.

Knowing that you are also involved with HUP keep in mind that the HUP filter is mounted sideways inside the frame under the passenger side and is a bitch to change.

Good luck

Bob C.
Attached Thumbnails
IM002184.jpg   IM002185.jpg  
Canada
Old 06-02-18, 01:55

Default Thanks muchley....

Okay Bob ....got it figured out now. I'll try to attach a couple of photos, My 44 HUP has the large cannister as in your photograph in exactly the same spot. My 43 HUP has the smaller cannister placed on the frame as you have mentioned. I have not tried to change the filter as of yet....but your reference to "bitch" excites me to no end . So that leaves the Cab 12 which we will do do changes to. I'm pretty sure Grant Hopkins over on the island has a couple of spares that I can utilise.
Well ...there you go again, can't download the photos Anyway you got my drift Bob.
Thanks again....Robert
Old 06-02-18, 04:09

Default You are welcome....

On a cab 12 I am sure there is no way of changing the engine oil filter without removing the engine cover from inside the cab..... the height of the filter can and the height of the filter element means it is to come out through the instrument panel.

Not sure if Phil W. has the oil filter on his C60 cab 12......

Don't get any on you.....

Cheers
Canada
Old 06-02-18, 04:40

Default Same thoughts....

You're right Bob, which is why I posed this question. When I look at the Cab 12 configuration (God I use that word a lot!), I can't see the larger cannister inside the confines of the engine cavity. The smaller cannister....possibly. That is why I have this question. You're right about having Phil pop in with his 2 cents. Would be helpful.
We'll get this sorted out one way or the other.......Robert
Old 06-02-18, 13:54

Default My Pattern 12 C60L had the frame mounted filter

Hi Bob and Robert

My C60L Pattern 12 had the Frame mounted oil filter which is so much fun to change the filter because it is on it's side above exhaust pipe. I kept that filter location when I first restored the truck with 216 engine. That engine was not originally in the truck, which had a block cracked from ice.

Did have a interesting leak through the side of the original filter body after being cleaned it had what looked like wormholes about 1/16th inch diameter through the body, not what you would think of as rust holes. They were easy to weld up and grind smooth.

When I replaced the engine with a 235 cu.in. the filter assembly had to be changed because the 235 converted to full flow need much more flow capacity than the original by pass design of the original. Truck now has a large spin on filter.

Will post some photos if they would be of help.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com