MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 03-02-13, 03:17
WO8 C15A 142736

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
this is different
You could leave your mark U turning that one with a lode on.
Old 03-02-13, 05:18
Bluebell

Mike, Nice pictures! I am having trouble with the logic of a tracked trailer towed by a wheeled truck. I bet this last one was not very cost effective. Look at all that old world (over) engineering.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 03-02-13, 10:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
this is different
Is it Aust? The tracks look like Churchill???
Old 04-02-13, 12:02
Rick Cove

Mike , I believe that there will be one of those 2 wheeled Carrier carrying trailers at Corowa this year. Hopefully with a carrier on board.

Regards Rick
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 04-02-13, 15:48

Default Trailers

Mmmmm,
Now I thought they were the 7 1/2 ton, especially the desert shots...with the standard pattern tyres for desert use.

I have drawings of the trailer (ex REME).

One question as yet unanswered, the rear bogie is linked...I thought the rear wheels would act independantly, but the link locks them in place. Any reason ????

I hope the following will create some interest......Thanks to Les Freathy for some of the info.

George.
Attached Thumbnails
5 ton detail.jpg   bren%20transport%20001.jpg   CCI04022013_0000.jpg   Cranes1.jpg   early pattern.jpg  

Old 04-02-13, 15:51

Default Some more on trailers

Here are the rest.

George.
Attached Thumbnails
gisc.jpg   Matador~19.jpg   Taskers light recovery 5 ton folding.jpg   trailer4.jpg  
Old 05-02-13, 00:58

I had/have? some of the wooden chocks with the steel handle and the lock bolts as pictured on the deck of the 7-1/2 ton trailer in picture 4 kicking about the place. I seem to remember they came in a bundle of four.

David
Old 05-02-13, 12:34

Default chocks

No not the ones that come in a fancy box......
There were four in a set, if you still have them.....could you photo the locking device.....I never made out how it actually worked.....two pins obviously located into a set of parrallel holes on the trackway....there were quite a few to enable the block to sit exactly.
There looks to be a handle to carry the thing, then two "spring loaded" pins...any more details would be welcome.

George.
Old 06-02-13, 09:50

Hi George,

The handles are like a bent piece of 1/4" diameter rod with a bit of 3/16" x 1/2" flat an inch and a quarter or so long welded on each end with a hole in each one for attachment to the block. One 'foot' points up and the other down.

The lock bolts have a body about 3/4" diameter and about 6" long with a blunt point on the lower end that has a lug sticking out one side which is obviously intended to pass through a key shaped hole in the trailer deck then the pin rotated by the handle on the top so as it is captive. The handle is in the form of a piece of 3/8" diameter rod welded to the top of the pin having a curl back on the free end for gripping between thumb and fingers. The pin is captive in a tube made by a 'U' shaped channel welded to a flat plate attached to the block by screws.

No springs are used . Keep in mind however that the Australian version may differ from the English.

Given time, which is in short supply at the moment, I will try and post some pictures.

Questions, do the trailers have key shaped holes in the deck and what is the distance between centres?

Dave
Old 06-02-13, 12:32

Default Thanks

Great response and many thanks......looking at the drawings and what photos there are, I was not aware the "holes" were key shapes, this now seems logical as an easy and positive way of locking them in place. When you get time, a photo would be great.....but your answer has solved my question.

Cheers.
George.
Old 06-02-13, 16:47

Default Recovery Trailer, 6 Wheeled, 8 Ton (Aust) Mk 1

G'day David and George,

In answer to your questions, yes the deck does have key shaped holes at the front and rear - not continuous for the full lentgh.

As to the centres, I do not have access to the trailer at the moment until I make some room at the "shed". Currently (kindly) stored at a mate's place.

When I get the chance I will measure the centres, but hopefully the pictures will help out.

Regards,

Darian.
Attached Thumbnails
06012011518 - Reduced.jpg   06012011510 - Reduced.jpg   06012011511 - Reduced.jpg  
Old 07-02-13, 09:42

Default tracked semitrailer

Hello all,

this 1/2 tracked tank transporter is very unusual, was this a prototype?
Any more information on the beast?
Can someone identify the attached australian low loader trailer (photo from AWM database), was this a full trailer or a semitrailer I wonder?

Greetings from snowy Austria,

Juergen Kurz
Attached Images

Old 07-02-13, 11:51

Default Tracked transporter

Ok, this may be way off beam.....but tracked transporters were looked at in the UK, some developments including the NLE (Naval Land Equipment) or Nellie, a concept trench digging machine was converted to carry the heavier tanks coming into service....a number of thoughts are raised.....one the development for tank recovery under hostile conditions, or ground that was not suitable for wheeled vehicles.....perhaps, and I was thinking out of the box, with the shortage of rubber after the Japanese had taken large parts of Asia, an alternative was to use tracked bogies.....to reduce the number of rubber tyres required.
Just a thought !!

George.
Old 07-02-13, 12:05

Default 6 wheeler trailers

Looking again at the stuff Darian posted and sent, am I correct in saying that there were two types of 6 wheeled trailer, one rated at 8 ton, the other 7 1/2 ton ???

What appears to me is the basic similar layout of treadways, but the bogie and construction of the main frame differed......the 6 ton does not seem to have the pivot arrangement between the front steerable axle and the main longitudinal beam (chassis). The front towing A frame is square on the 8 ton, but made of 1/2 round angle on the 7 1/2 ton.

Revisiting the photos, the keyhole shapes are very clear, as is the detail on the manual drawings when viewed in close up. Something I had missed.

For information, I enclose the Resin kit that I mastered of the 7 1/2 ton trailer.

George.
Attached Thumbnails
P1010029.jpg   P1010031.jpg  

Last edited by George Moore; 07-02-13 at 12:09. Reason: 6 ton altered to 8 ton
Old 07-02-13, 14:01

Default Trailers, 6 Wheeled - Two Versions

G'day George,

Yes, I believe you are correct in saying that there are two versions.

The first being (and forgive me if I dont get the country of origin right) the English / Canadian Pattern Cranes 7.5 Ton Trailer and the second being the Australian Pattern (unique to us) 8 Ton version.

I'm not 100% sure if we (Aust) had a 6 Ton version - which looked even closer in appearance to "your" Cranes 7.5 Ton version. The investigations still continue (as time permits).

Basically they are essentially the same trailer, well style anyway, but the major differences are the suspension types and the main chassis construction. Cranes having a "torsion bar" style suspension and the Aust Version having "walking beam / pivot" suspension - like that of the Taskers Trailer in your earlier post. I'm not sure if my suspension terminology is right.

Components like the decks, ramps, chocks, leveling / stabiliser legs / Rollers / fairleads, shackle mounting castings, etc. are virtually the same.

The side of the Cranes Trailer has a deeper profile, or combing rail, which covers or hides the cross members of the chassis. The Australian Version just has the edges of the deck (tray) with tapered outriggers underneath heading back to the main chassis rail.

I guess the two verions (well the Australian Version) was just built to different, or local, manufacturing techniques that the fellas on the production line were perhaps already familiar with, or perhaps it was just easier, quicker, simpler - who knows - but that's half the fun of working it all out.

It's has only been with the help from yourself, David (motto), Mike K., Mike C. and others, in providing the photographs, descriptions, etc. that we (a mate Pedr and I) are starting to slowly put the variants, or differences, in place.

Bearing in mind, I / we have only really looked at these types of trailers in more detail for the last week or so, and I am more than happy to be corrected by those who have more knowledge on them.

Hoping this makes some sense!

Regards,

Darian.
Attached Thumbnails
06012011511 - A.jpg   06012011512 - A.jpg   06012011520 - A.jpg   06012011525 - A.jpg   06012011508 - A.jpg  

Old 07-02-13, 15:10

Hi all
Seems i have been having a snooze on here, Did we not have a old thread on trailers but no matter its easier to find this new one rather than trawl back to find the old. Here are some shots of the Dyson/Crane 40 ton trailer Mk1, Goerge i have a set of tracked trailer photos i will dig them out and put a few up
cheers
Les
Attached Thumbnails
trailer-16.jpg   trailer-17.jpg  
Old 07-02-13, 17:44

Tracked transporter: 'with the shortage of rubber after the Japanese had taken large parts of Asia, an alternative was to use tracked bogies.....to reduce the number of rubber tyres required.'

Bingo! George gets the prize!

Prototype only.

Les: no Dyson tank transporter trailers in Aust until the arrival of the Mk.3, 50 ton in 1951 (just prior to the first Centurion's arrival). Didn't last long: tooo much weight/tyre with a 50 ton tank aboard, so Australia built the 60 ton No.1 Mk.1 to suit local (State) road limits. It entered service in 1960.

Mike C
Old 09-02-13, 01:30

Default Brain must have been in gear

Thanks, it kinda seemed a logical solution, there are references in the Canadian series of books about wooden tyres being tried out on some CMP's...Blueprint for Victory...page 45.

The UK tracked trailer was manufactured by Boulton Paul...so big they need large trailers to move them, which sort of defeated the object...I have only found one reference of them being used after D-Day to transport railway locomotives from Tank Landing craft.

I am thinking along the same lines re the 7 1/2 ton 8 ton trailers, an Australian pattern and a UK pattern. Do you agree with my (comment) that the 8 ton did not have the pivoting front axle.....the one I had access to, I was told that the bearing was rusted solid, despite all efforts to free it off, the pivot action did not work......these are Cornish farm boys....if they couldnt make it free up, then no bugger could.

George.
Old 16-02-13, 05:22

Distance between centres of locking pins on the chocks that I have is 10-3/4".

David
Old 25-02-13, 15:44

I found this on another site and I thought it would interest some of you guys.
There's a lot of information there.

Quote:
TRAILERS
Trailers are not often mentioned but they were used in increasing numbers and in a wide range of roles. Trailers had census numbers prefixed X.

Trailer 10cwt 2 wheeled Lightweight GS
The 10cwt Lightweight trailer was intended to be towed by a Jeep. The US supplied some lightweight trailers but this one was designed and built in he UK

Trailer 10cwt 2 wheeled GS No1
The 10cwt GS trailer was intended for towing by 15 cwt trucks. It had fixed sides, a drop tailboard and a canvas cover. There were supporting legs front and rear. Tires could be 5.00 – 16 on early models and 5.75 – 16 on later models.

Trailer 10cwt 2 wheeled GS No2
Generally similar to the No1 but with higher sides, 6.00 – 15 tires and fitted with a universal tow eye to enable it to be towed by any vehicles.

Trailer 10cwt 2 wheeled Mortar
The 10cwt Mortar trailer was towed by a Loyd Carrier and was used for the 4.2” mortar. There were fittings in the trailer for either
- a 4.2” mortar with base plate and 22 round of ammunition
- 44 round of ammunition.

Trailer 15cwt 2 wheeled Load Carrying
A heavier trailer with stronger springs and 9.00 – 20 tires. It had a wooden body with drop tailboard and a tarpaulin. There were adjustable supporting legs front and rear.

Trailer 15cwt 2 wheeled Pole Carrying
A long chassis with 9.00 – 20 tires was fitted with a 16 foot wooden body. This had fixed front and sides and a detachable tailboard. There was a locker for insulators etc over the rear end. Supporting legs, one at the front and two at the rear were jack screw type. Used for carrying telegraph poles (though not the large civilian types) to support telephone lines.

Trailer 15cwt 2 wheeled Water 180 gallons
This carried a 180 gallon water tank plus pumps, filters, hoses for collecting water from streams etc, filtering and then transporting it. Tires were 9.00 – 20 and supporting legs were fitted front and rear.

Trailer 2 wheeled Dental
This was a civilian type caravan with 6.50 – 17 tires. The body was 14 foot long and divided into reception, office and surgery compartments. The surgery was fitted with a dental chair and equipment. A carrier at the front carried a tent and poles to provide extra space. Four scissor type jacks were fitted, one at each corner.

Trailer 2 wheeled 22Kw Generating Set.
A widely used generator providing power for bakeries and laundries, as well as lighting for headquarters and power for radars. The chassis was unsprung and fitted with 10.50 – 20 tires and supporting jacks front and rear. The engine was a Lister 4 cylinder diesel and the generator was a Maudsley 22 Kw, 100 volt DC with a Lister switchboard. A tubular frame with canvas tilt and side curtains was fitted.

Trailer 1 ton 2 wheeled GS No5 MkIA steel body with fixed sides, drop tailgate and canvas cover. There are no supporting legs but the tailgate can be locked down in the vertical position to give support and a castor wheel is fitted to the drawbar. Tires are 9.00 – 13.

Trailer 1 ton 2 wheeled Water 180 gallons
A similar body, tank and equipment to the 15cwt water trailer is fitted to the later 1 ton trailer chassis. Tires are 7.50 – 20 and supporting legs are fitted.

Trailer 1 ton 2 wheeled Water Purification
Water purification equipment is fitted to the 1 ton trailer chassis with tyres as for the water tank.

Trailer 1 ton 2 wheeled Steriliser
Steriliser equipment is fitted to the 1ton trailer chassis.

Trailer 1 ton 2 wheeled Gas Welding
A standard 1 ton trailer is equipped with fittings for oxygen and acetylene cylinders, welding equipment and a welding table. Support legs are fitted.

Trailer 1 ton AA Command Post
A drop frame chassis with 9.00 – 13 tires is fitted with a flat platform body 10 foot long and 4 foot 4½ inches wide. A canopy can be erected to envelop the trailer all round to provide a working space for plotting aircraft movement.

Trailer 1 ton 2 wheeled Pigeon Loft
A 1 ton trailer chassis with 7.50 – 20 tires and support legs. A loft body for 60 birds plus stores and equipment is fitted.

Trailer 2 ton 4 wheeled GS dropside
A turntable trailer with detachable dropsides, a drop tailboard and tarpaulin. Tires were 9.00 – 13.

Trailer 2 ton 4 wheeled GS open (Canadian)
A turntable trailer with an all steel body with fixed sides, a drop tailboard and tarpaulin instead of a tilt. Tires were 9.00 – 16.

Trailer 2 ton 4 wheeled Beam Wireless
This trailer was for Wireless No 10. It had turntable steering 32 X 6 tyres and four supporting jacks.

Trailer 3 ton 2 wheeled Cable Drum
A simple design with a sprung axle and a long drawbar and a folding leg at the front. It could carry any of a variety of cable drums on trunions.

Trailer 4 ton 4 wheeled Bakery Machinery. See also Services/RASC/Non transport units.
The Mobile Bakery Machinery Trailer carried equipment based on that used in commercial bakeries at the time. It mixed the dough and divided it into two pound pieces.

Trailer 4 ton 4 wheeled Bakery Dough. See also Services/RASC/Non transport units.
The Bakery Dough Trailer carried four troughs in which the dough was left to rise.

Trailer 4 ton 4 wheeled Bakery Oven. See also Services/RASC/Non transport units.
The Bread Oven trailer had an oil fired furnace heating a two tiered oven which could hold 288 two pound loaves, in 48 pans each holding six loaves.

Trailer 4 ton 4 wheeled AOD with Bins
An ordnance store trailer with bins for storing smaller items.

Trailer 4 ton 4 wheeled AOD Open with Davit
An ordnance store trailer for carrying larger items and a davit for lifting them.

Trailer 5 ton 4 wheeled GS
A turntable trailer with 10.50 – 13 tires. The body was a flat platform with a fixed front board. Removable stanchions and chains were fitted down each side.

Trailer 5 ton 4 wheeled Cargo
A US built turntable trailer with 7.50 – 20 tires, twin all round. The body had removable wooden sides and a drop tailboard. A tarpaulin was supplied.

Trailer 5 ton 4 wheeled Smoke Generator (Haslar)
A conventional trailer for carrying Haslar smoke generators.

Trailer 5 ton 4 wheeled Smoke Generator (Esso)
A US trailer with four wheels close together in the centre. This carried Esso smoke generators.

Trailer 5 ton 4 wheeled Laundry Washer, Trailer type A. See also Services/Others/RAOC.
This was a washing trailer which carried rotary washing machine, a hydro extractor (spin dryer), and a soap boiler.

Trailer 5 ton 4 wheeled Laundry Boiler, Trailer Type D. See also Services/Others/RAOC.
This was a trailer to provide hot water and hot air.

Trailer 5 ton 4 wheeled Laundry Dryer, Trailer Type C. See also Services/Others/RAOC.
This was the drying trailer and carried a continuous drying machine.

Trailer 5 ton 4 wheeled Laundry CCS. See also Services/Others/RAOC.
This was an all in one trailer providing laundry for casualty clearing stations.

Trailer 5 ton 4 wheeled Pontoon 50/60 Class. See also Services/RASC/Bridging Company.
This was a specially designed trailer for transporting and launching 50/60 class pontoons. Tyres were 9.00 – 20, twins all round. The chassis was a single central frame member which could be retracted to reduce the wheelbase from 18 foot to 12 foot 6 inches when not loaded. A launching frame on rollers carried the pontoon.

Trailer 2 ton 4 wheeled 150mm Projector (Searchlight)
This carried a 150mm searchlight. Tyres were 9.00 – 16 and there were three supporting legs.

Trailer 3 ton 4 wheeled 150mm Projector (Searchlight) with radar.
This heavier trailer carried the 150mm searchlight, plus its radar, IFF and control panel. It had a full cross country performance. Tyres were 10.50 – 16 and 3 levelling jacks were provided.

Trailer 5ton 4 wheeled Radar AA No3 Mk1I
A turntable trailer with 36 X 8 tyres, twin at the rear. There were three supporting jacks, one at the centre rear and two on folding arms at the front. A steel cabin has a rotor unit with 360 degree rotation. Two parabaloid aerials are mounted on the rotor and these can be tilted. A platform at the front carries a generating set. Originally a 10cm set for HAA fire control these sets were also used for mortar location and tracking meteorological balloons.

Trailer 5ton 4 wheeled Radar AA No4 MkIII
Similar trailer and body to above but with a rotating radar aerial for surveillance and target acquisition.

Trailer 5ton 4 wheeled Radar AA No1 MkII
An Ackermann steering trailer with 9.00 – 20 tyres. There are four supporting jacks on folding arms.

Trailer 5ton 4 wheeled Radar AA No4 MkV.
This was a US built trailer containing the US SCR 584 radar. In British service it used a detachable dolly with turntable. Rear wheels were dual.

Trailer 6 ton Freuhof Carriage of Tracks
A low loading, flat platform trailer with a gooseneck over the turntable. Tyres were 9.00 – 20 twins all round.

Trailer 6 ton Jahn Carriage of Tracks
Similar in all respects to the Freuhof trailer.

Trailer 7 ½ ton 6 wheeled Light Recovery. See also Services/REME/Recovery.
The Light Recovery Trailer was built by Crane and could be towed by any of the wheeled recovery lorries or tractors. The chassis was a tube with beams supporting the deck. Two tracks with adjustable chocks carried the casualty. In the centre was a wooden floor to carry the ramps and other equipment. There were jacks at the rear to support the trailer body when loading and unloading. A hand winch was fitted at the front and there were guide rollers to allow the towing vehicles winch to be used for loading. Suspension was in the form of torsion bars on the rear wheels.

Trailer 18 ton 4 twin wheeled Low Loader for RB excavator.
A simple platform body has wooden runners along the side to take the excavator tracks. For loading the rear must be lowered and the rear axle removed. Tyres were 10.50 – 20 twins all round.

Trailer 18 ton 8 wheeled Low Loader, Carrimore
Identical to the 20 ton 8 wheeled Crane model below except it has 11.25 - 20 tyres and cannot be loaded from the side.

Trailer 20 ton 8 twin wheeled Low Loader, Crane
A flat platform trailer with a straight frame, turntable steering and 36 X 8 tyres. It shares many components with the 40 ton trailers.

Trailer 20 ton 8 wheeled Low Loader, Crane.
A gooseneck design with turntable steering and eight wheels with 13.50 – 20 tyres. Loading is by jacking up the rear, removing the rear axles and lowering the frame to the ground. Side loading is possible without removing the rear axles. Designed for the carriage of road making machinery.

Trailer 20 ton 16 wheeled Low Loader, Multiwheeler
This trailer had a very low gooseneck over twin turntables using Ackermann steering. Wheels were arranged in sets of four wheels with 29 X 8 tyres. A flat platform body with wooden planking had chock rails down the sides. Designed for the carriage of road making machinery.

Trailer 40 ton 24 wheeled, Rogers
Trailer 40 ton 24 wheeled MkI
Trailer 40 ton 24 wheeled MkII
Diamond T tractors towed three different types of trailer. A 40 ton trailer had been designed in the UK and these were built as Trailer 40 ton MkI. The British Purchasing Commission ordered a similar, but improved trailer from Rodgers. This was rated at 45 US tons, or 40 long tons. Some of the improvements made by Rodgers were incorporated in the British built Trailer 40ton MkII. The most significant improvement was the elimination of outer guide rails which allowed wider tanks to be carried. Initially the Rodgers trailers went to N Africa and the 40 ton MkI to the UK. In 21 Army Group could be found Model 980 and 981 with either Rodgers or 40 ton MkII trailers. The 40 ton MkI trailer was relegated to other roles and usually towed by other types of tractor. These included:

Trailer 20 ton 24 wheeled Cargo Carrier.
40 ton MkI trailers had a flat wooden floor and pierced steel track welded to the sides to allow cargo, in particular ammunition, to be carried.

Trailer 30 ton 24 wheeled Carriage of Rails
40 ton MkI trailers had timber baulks fitted across the body to carry lengths of rail.

Trailer 45 ton tracked recovery
Designed to tow Churchill tanks across country. Speed was only 5mph. There was no springing so life on hard surfaces was short and the trailer needed carrying on a wheeled trailer. The trailer was carried on four Orolo track units and was a flat platform with chocks and ramps. A winch and an armoured compartment for the operator were at the front.

Trailer 80ton 40 wheeled
This trailer had been developed to carry the heavy Tortoise tank, which did not enter service. The trailer was carried on two separate bogies and large tyres giving a high loading height. The bed of the trailer was designed to be tilted by using hydraulic rams at the front end. This enabled heavy vehicles to be loaded without long ramps. This heavy trailer and load needed two Diamond T 980 tractors fitted with towing frames so that they could be linked. It was only used to recover heavy German Tiger and King Tiger tanks and transport them to the UK.

Trailer 4 wheeled Motor Boat Carrying. See also Services/RASC/Bridging Company.
A straight frame trailer on 10.50 – 13 tyres. A platform with rollers carried the motor boat and the platform itself could be extended and tilted to launch the boat.

Trailer 4 wheeled FBE. See also Services/RASC/Bridging Company.
A turntable trailer on 9.00 – 20 tyres. A tubular steel framework carried three folding boats. This trailer was no longer used to carry folding boats for FBE bridging but was used to carry light rafts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	trailers.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	55240
Old 25-02-13, 22:08
Rick Cove

Thanks for that info Ian.

That is why we, KVE Inc. are having the theme this year "The Year of the Trailed Equipment and Armour". There are so many trailers out there that have been demobbed and should be behind an ex-military vehicle, not just rotting away on a farm somewhere..

This years Corowa Swim-In has trailer entries of about 1 trailer to every 4 vehicles. So currently about 55 trailers have been entered so for. The entries are still coming in. If you haven't got your entry in, DO IT NOW.

There are some very interesting trailers amongst them too.

Regards rick.
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 26-02-13, 11:05
Corowa Project 30

Preregistered participants have a chance to vote for: Trailed Equipment - People’s Choice: For your favorite piece of trailed equipment attending this year.

It is great the number of preregistered participants who are posting or emailing their forms at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if we get around 250 preregistered participants.
Research & Development
THE COROWA YEAR 30 PROJECT
Old 07-02-18, 18:38
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Freathy View Post
Hi all
Seems i have been having a snooze on here, Did we not have a old thread on trailers but no matter its easier to find this new one rather than trawl back to find the old. Here are some shots of the Dyson/Crane 40 ton trailer Mk1, Goerge i have a set of tracked trailer photos i will dig them out and put a few up
Hello Les,

Reviving an old thread after merging two on the same subject. Just got sent another picture of a Dyson/Crane trailer by Richard Bolk and I though you would like to see it.

Enjoy,
Hanno

Name:	image001(2).jpg
Views:	20
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	97724
Old 12-02-18, 20:09

Default Military trailers

I have a 8 ton Fruehauf Military trailer with a dolly The plate reads
Army corps of engineers .Low bed machinery trailer
Maximum speed 30 mph .Maximum payload capacity 8 ton .Net chassis weight axel front tires 5030 LBS . axel rear 5040 LBS. Tires back 900x20 ,10 ply 55 lbs pressure OCE,PO 55 893 Fruehauf Trailer Co Detroit US Registration No W-095494
Front dolly has 750x20 Tires .It has a goose neck with a 10 foot deck and beaver tails with ramps . likly hauled small cats and carriers
M2A1Halftrack ,CMP #11 F15A1 #13 F15A1
RAF Fordson Tractor, 42 WLC HD
No.2MK11 CT267514 center CB24713 bottom hull25701 ,No.2 MK2 parts
MK1 10128 ,(2) MK1 ,Parts Hull9305 .Hull 10407
Hull plate # 7250 all have walk plate on back steps
1917 Patent modle amphibious army tank
Old 12-02-18, 23:37

Default ilitary trailers

To add to this .When I bought it the previous owner had welded a ring on the front to be able to hook it to the back of his big deck truck. Then change the back axle and 40" springs to a 3 ton truck axle welded solid to the frame .This way they were able to haul D 7 cats weighting 25 tons on it after the war .I put the front dollyback under it .It has 8 tires all together .Does anyone have a picture of this trailer .I would like to know just for some detail .Thank's George
Old 12-02-18, 23:52
MLU Administrator

Hello George,

I think this would be the one:

Name:	tm5-5910c.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	97915

Here´s one in action on the Alcan Highway in Alaska:

Name:	4101637853_f3de449e22_b_jpg_f804cecc5b237e188017649207fc0b21.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	97917 Click image for larger version

Name:	4104263010_1edd0435d2_b_jpg_55efb224a167913c4dd7f53453fe7566.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	97916

HTH,
Hanno
Old 13-02-18, 11:09
Niels Vegger

There is a Dyson trailer for sale here https://www.generaaltjes.nl/Adverten...d-trailer-1942
1955 Austin Champ, 04BF45
Old 06-03-18, 18:05

Default Military trailers

My PC crashed after the last post ,Thanks for the picture The 16 ton looks like it too only bigger .I also have a fuel trailer that my Dad bought after the war ,My Fordson N bomb hauler pulls it in the parades. It hauled fuel to the air planes in the UK in ww2 ,Have not seen another one like it. Also I have a 10 CWT trailer .
Old 06-03-18, 22:18

I would sure like to know how the Studebaker on the trailer got so mangled. I can't imagine what would do that without apparent damage to the cargo body.

David
Old 07-03-18, 07:28

Dave

I think if it got airborne off a bridge or into a creek with a load of gravel or other loose contents the cab would act as a progressively collapsing unit while the load spilled forward over the top of the body sides (you can see the rear of the cab has been pushed). I doubt the result ended well for the occupants.

Lang