MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 15-04-12, 10:10
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Quality time

Aaaahhh, to work on a CMP again.

Although this is in the restoration sub-forum, it's not quite that yet, more a get it going again so it can be mobile and brought up to a standard where it can get club registration.

Last time I went to move it several weeks ago in pouring rain I found it wouldn't start. What had happened was rain had found it's way into the air cleaner filling the carby with oil (fortunately not water). Then I made the mistake of leaving the ignition on for some hours and when I retired there was a horrible smell and the coil had expanded, split and poured out hot black waxy crap everywhere.
So today the coil was replaced and I also decided to replace the leaky left water pump.

I found the previous owner had done a special job on the fan with a gold spray pack too...
You can see the quick method for pump removal where blocks of wood and a crowbar to gently lift the engine do the job in no time.

Close up:

So now she goes "Vrooom" again and doesn't leak water (I hope). Actually I found when I replaced the grille it must have pushed the radiator back slightly and now the fan rubs on the inner shroud so I'll have to rectify that.

Next little job will be to find out why the brake pedal refuses to return and seems to be very stiff. I suspect something in the linkage or even problems with the booster. Once all that is good again I'll have a think about some basic wiring and probably at that stage take her back to 6 volt. I've never liked the sound of a sidevalve starter going hell for leather.

Incidentally I had a look at the drivers door and found the usual stress fractures.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 15-04-12, 12:25
Blitzed

Default ford blitz

Now that's a real dual cab ute!
Old 15-04-12, 13:29

Was running beautifully when it left the care of its Yass gaurdians! What did you do to it???