MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-03-07, 23:49
Keith Webb's Avatar
Keith Webb Keith Webb is offline
Film maker, CMP addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: HIGHTON VIC
Posts: 8,217
Default Dear John

I can remember this one from the 1970s. The actors are Australians, with Bruce Spence as the main character. Great ad, even if the conflict era is somewhat confused.

Dear John

It's on YouTube of course!
__________________
Film maker

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-03-07, 20:22
Vets Dottir
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I can't imagine how awful that would be to be off to war serving my Country, and others, and receiving a Dear John / Dear Jane letter for real.

I remember that old song Keith.

Karmen.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-03-07, 14:51
John McGillivray's Avatar
John McGillivray John McGillivray is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Quebec
Posts: 1,089
Default

For a second there you had me worried.

John
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-03-07, 15:10
sapper740's Avatar
sapper740 sapper740 is offline
Derek Heuring
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Corinth, Texas
Posts: 2,018
Default Re: Dear John

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb
I can remember this one from the 1970s. The actors are Australians, with Bruce Spence as the main character. Great ad, even if the conflict era is somewhat confused.

Dear John

It's on YouTube of course!
Check out ebay item #250088384625
__________________
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-03-07, 05:41
Ken Hughes's Avatar
Ken Hughes Ken Hughes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Dunedin New Zealand
Posts: 374
Default dear john

my uncle got a dear john letter while a prisoner of war in ww2,it greatly afected him
__________________
kenney
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-03-07, 14:03
Rod Diery Rod Diery is offline
The Original CMP Site!
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kulin, Western Australia
Posts: 318
Default Re: Re: Dear John

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
Check out ebay item #250088384625
That lady should be ashamed of herself for not minding her own business.
It reminds me of a nasty woman in Melbourne a couple of years ago when I visited my sister there. She told my sister that she should not have strange men staying with her as it was a good neighbourhood. I would love to have seen her face when my sister told her I was her brother.
I don't know whether to be offended about the woman's narrow mindedness or that she thought I was kind of unsavoury looking.
Cheers
Rod
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-03-07, 19:49
Keith Webb's Avatar
Keith Webb Keith Webb is offline
Film maker, CMP addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: HIGHTON VIC
Posts: 8,217
Default Unsavoury

Quote:
Originally posted by Rod Diery
That lady should be ashamed of herself for not minding her own business.
It reminds me of a nasty woman in Melbourne a couple of years ago when I visited my sister there. She told my sister that she should not have strange men staying with her as it was a good neighbourhood. I would love to have seen her face when my sister told her I was her brother.
I don't know whether to be offended about the woman's narrow mindedness or that she thought I was kind of unsavoury looking.
Cheers
Rod
LOL... it must've been the blitz driving rogues you kept company with when you were here!
__________________
Film maker

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-03-07, 21:24
Pylon1357 Pylon1357 is offline
FIOR GO BAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: East of Ottawa Ontario
Posts: 45
Default Re: Re: Dear John

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
Check out ebay item #250088384625
I recall looking at that eBay auction and thinking to myself...wow that lady is a real busy-body and she should mind her own bussiness.

Then I thought of my uncle Richard (Dick) who was stationed in Canada with RCOC and how he relayed his thoughts to getting a similar letter from a busy-body. In the end, Dick hated his wife so much for what she did to him (well others I suppose) while he was gone, that he refused to give her a divorce so she could remarry. I guess in the end HE won.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-03-07, 09:20
Rod Diery Rod Diery is offline
The Original CMP Site!
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kulin, Western Australia
Posts: 318
Default Re: Unsavoury

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb
LOL... it must've been the blitz driving rogues you kept company with when you were here!
If she had seen them, I'm sure she would have called the cops.
Cheers
Rod
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © Maple Leaf Up, 2003-2016