MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 21-05-20, 15:09

Default Preservation

I look forward to the day when, like the Lancaster bombers which were once perched on plinths across Canada, that these historic vehicles get pulled from the parks and are given the proper indoor storage and display they so rightfully deserve. Putting money into refurbish these vehicles only to park them outside is a waste of resources and time, 120K would certainly go a long way to providing a proper shelter for this historic vehicle.
Old 26-06-20, 21:55
MLU Administrator

Default RIP Phil Cockburn

Phil Cockburn, London's last armoured soldier to survive D-Day passes away:

https://london.ctvnews.ca/mobile/lon...away-1.4900488

One could say “Holy Roller” is now the last D-Day survivor in London... When old soldiers fade away, it is important to preserve their equipment as a reminder of their deeds.

Quote:
London's last armoured soldier to survive D-Day passes away
Sean Irvine CTV News London Reporter / Anchor
Published Friday, April 17, 2020 9:46AM

LONDON, ONT -- The Forest CIty's last living connection to the armoured regiments of D-Day has passed away.

C5F12DE7-5AB8-4780-A8BA-5CA0E9EA0492.jpeg

Phil Cockburn was just a few months short of his 98th birthday.
Born July 26, 1922, he was on the beach at Juno as Canadians fought on D-Day, June 6, 1944.
He was a gunner for the London based First Hussars.
CTV News reporter Sean Irvine interviewed him extensively for two separate special features in 2004 and 2019.
In 2004, Phil revealed how fearful he was that his D-Day floating tank would not even make it to shore. Several other tanks sank in the rough seas around him.
Yet, the worst was still to come. Landing at the “Mike Red” section of Juno he was quickly in heavy action, and stunned by the scene around him.
“You wondered, is it real?”
Still his tank crew fired one of the first decisive shots of armour that morning, taking out a German position in a church tower.
“It was pretty rough, pretty scary,” he told Irvine in 2019.
Phil witnessed first hand the loss of life on D-Day, and expressed the mental and physical pain he still feels in both interviews.
When speaking of the friends he lost, he stated the bond he shares with them will never be forgotten, “They are like brothers. June 6 [is] a date I will never, ever forget.”
Phil died peacefully Thursday, his son Ray Cockburn tells CTV News.
However, he added his father “fought right until the end.”
First Hussars retired lieutenant colonel Joe Murray calls Cockburn the last of the greatest generation, adding he had signed up at just 17.
In later life, Ray says his father's “reason for living” was the young cadets he would frequently speak to.
“He would talk for hours, and the look on their faces, you could tell they were soaking in every word.”
In 2004, asked what we, as Canadians, could do to best remember those lost on the Juno Beach, he responded through tears and visual physical pain at the recollection.
“If [Canadians] are going to be in Europe, if they could just take a little time to see some these burial places. I think that would probably honour those men.”
Old 26-06-20, 22:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
Phil Cockburn, London's last armoured soldier to survive D-Day passes away:

https://london.ctvnews.ca/mobile/lon...away-1.4900488

One could say “Holy Roller” is now the last D-Day survivor in London... When old soldiers fade away, it is important to preserve their equipment as a reminder of their deeds.

Attachment 114780
I came to the same conclusion about 25 years ago that as the ranks of old boys who answered duties call and served in whatever role to defend, protect and liberate the oppressed diminish the equipment will be the only direct link back to that period. It is, at least for myself, something much more then a "return on investment" or "property" in that the equipment, small arms and vehicles are history with a value that DOES NOT have a dollar sign attached. Each and every artifact of that period will grow in importance and continue the telling of the story that these men and women as they pass on and cannot tell to future generations.
Old 06-03-21, 19:24
MLU Administrator

“Holy Roller craft beer launched to raise money for tank's restoration“

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/...ks-restoration
Old 07-03-21, 09:07
Paul Napier

I don't know how I've missed this thread all these years. I've visited this tank many times over the years when visiting London for an international AFV conference. I'm glad the decay is being halted and it can become a true memorial to all those mounted soldiers. It would be great for people to see be able to seen inside in the future.

Paul
Old 07-03-21, 13:57

The tank Holy Roller a veteran of the Second World War should be brought indoors, restored (and kept indoors) and given the respect it deserves. Anything less then a full on, top to bottom, restoration is just kicking the can down the road as it rots away from the inside out.
Old 07-03-21, 19:50

Default Holy Roller

I couldn't agree more.
Old 17-07-21, 23:12
MLU Administrator

Holy Roller leaves Victoria Park (June 2021):

https://youtu.be/qS2OX0n-VK8
Old 18-07-21, 02:06
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
Holy Roller leaves Victoria Park (June 2021):

https://youtu.be/qS2OX0n-VK8
$70,000 to move and $250,000 to sandblast and paint?? And that's with volunteer help???? ?? Maybe I'm missing something but for that kind of money you could probably give Holly Roller a full restoration and maybe even get it running. I'm a little put off it's going back outside on its concrete pad, but that's just me.
Old 26-06-20, 22:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Storey View Post
I look forward to the day when, like the Lancaster bombers which were once perched on plinths across Canada, that these historic vehicles get pulled from the parks and are given the proper indoor storage and display they so rightfully deserve. Putting money into refurbish these vehicles only to park them outside is a waste of resources and time, 120K would certainly go a long way to providing a proper shelter for this historic vehicle.
Amen brother, amen.