MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 23-05-07, 22:42

Default models

As we do not have a dedicated thread for models and one or two members have shown there wares in Sergents mess i thought i would show a few of my efforts that i can prhaps add to as time permits

The first is in 1/35 scale and is of a 17pdr gun tractor converted from a 15cwt, i built this for a friend a number of years ago who had rebuilt the original that the model was based on
Attached Thumbnails
mlu21.jpg  
Old 23-05-07, 22:48

all the rest are in 1/76 or 4mm scale which is my preferred medium and has been for the past 40 years, i have lost count of how many kits,conversions and scratch built models i have made i have about 300 plus around at the moment and thats just military and not counting the civilian, fairground and heavy haulage etc
this is scratch built Ford F60H 6x4 gantry breakdown, fellow member Richard Allibone built the cab which i then had cast in resin
Attached Images

Old 23-05-07, 22:49

Standard Airfix and Matchbox kits with a number of modifications
Attached Thumbnails
mlu23.jpg  
Old 23-05-07, 22:51

Finally two scratch built Crossley fire tenders, now these really were a challenge to get all that kit in to such a small space
Attached Thumbnails
mlu24.jpg  
Old 23-05-07, 23:24

Les,

It is good to see some of your model-work from over the years. The F60H has always been one of my favorits and it is great seeing the 11 cab in 1/76. My father used to build 1/76 models back in the days and he made some great 13cabs.

I like the Crossleys the best. All those details make them very interesting!

Alex
Old 24-05-07, 11:03

Thanks for the comments Alex if you have any photos of your dads models please post them on this thread they would be welcome. For many years i have been promising myself to build a Diamond T hauling a landing craft but never seemed to get started as other projects got in the way so last year with some time on my hands i set about it with a vengance after i purchased a kit of the craft by Armegedon, I decided about half way through to incorporate it with another of my favourite model past times, building small scale dioramas and this one just grew and grew. Nomally i keep the bases fairly simple and not to large but as this one took shape i thought what the heck. The photos show the DT in progress and a couple of close ups of the finished project i have some better photos but put them aside for a mag article and now cant locate them, they are here somwhere and once discovered will post a few here
cheers
Les
Attached Thumbnails
mlu25.jpg  
Old 24-05-07, 11:04

A couple more
Attached Thumbnails
mlu26.jpg  
Old 24-05-07, 11:05

last two
Attached Thumbnails
mlu28.jpg  
Old 24-05-07, 11:09

Whoops those two were supposed to be tail end charlies they are a MMS white metal Ford WOT 15cwt and a Milicast Resin Dodge VK62, i hope this is the last of the diorama
Attached Thumbnails
mlu27.jpg  
Old 25-05-07, 08:52

Default My models

Hello Les,

Like you I started out in 1/76 scale building lots of trucks and tanks in my late teens and early twenties, using plans from the Minature Armoured Fighting Vehicles Association [MAFVA], and anywhere I could scrounge them from.

My inspiration was modellers like Matt Dennigan and Jon Sandars. Sadly I had to dispose of vitually all of them when I left home.

Some years ago I began to build models again. I have always enjoyed scratchbuilding, and with two small kids and a mortgage to support, 1/35 scale kits could not really be justified.

I came to enjoy scratchbuilding so much, that even on such occasions that I won or was given kits, I virtually never actually finished them.

I found 1/76 too small, and 1/35 to big, so unhindered by the need to build kits, I started to build in 1/43 scale and 1/48th scale.

First a Morris 15 cwt.

A Morris 8 CWT PU

A 2 Pounder and Chevrolet Portee.

The same gun on the Portee.

Here's a Morris Quad I am working on at present.

Sadly my modelling time is very restricted at present by other commitments, but the Rampant Rivetters photos of his CMP restoration is sorely tempting me to start out on a CMP 13 Cabbed model.

I have built them in the past, but only in 1/76 and 1/35 scale.

Regards

Nick Balmer

Last edited by Nick Balmer; 25-05-07 at 09:00.
Old 25-05-07, 10:30

Quote:
Thanks for the comments Alex if you have any photos of your dads models please post them on this thread they would be welcome.
Les, when my father is back from holiday I will try to take some pictures of his 1/76 models.

I really like the diorama with the Diamond T. I also used to build 1/76 and 1/72 scale models, but 1/35 seems to suit me better.

Nick,
Great work! You have probably made a good choice of starting in 1/48. The 48 scale is really on a come-back at the moment with several nice kits and conversions available. I just love the Morris Quad......I am still hoping to start one in the near future in 1/35, but I have to finish some other porjects first.

Alex
Old 25-05-07, 23:55

Hi Nick

MAFVA eh, i became a member in 1969 lasted 20 years much of the time as Kent area secretary but lost interest when John Wilkes gave up being editor then after a long break i rejoined 2 years ago but am still not that impressed with the contents of the mag so will let it run out and not bother. Anyway thats enough of the griping, yes 1/48 scale a super medium to work in its taken the commercial companies a long time to realise eh! i have seen some of Accurate armours stuff its first class. A number of years back i did a lot of research for Hart models for there 1/48 scale white metal range and in return recieved a number of the kits. Most are still in the boxes but i have built a few as posted, also at tracks and trucks this year i bought a Diamond T 970 machinery truck in resin from Wespe it is very good and the range is quite extensive. One or two items are suspect and do not look right such as the Morris CDSW and the 8cwt PU but most are OK
Les
Attached Thumbnails
mlu3.jpg  
Old 25-05-07, 23:56

CMP and Dodge D15
Attached Thumbnails
mlu4.jpg