MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 09-06-07, 17:04

Default Borden Museum Re-Opens today

For those interested. The CFB Borden Museum in Angus, Ontario which houses Canada's premier small arms collection, armour displays, and very unique and rare collections re-opens Today at 11:00am with ceremony and full guard. New buildings and displays. Over $1 million dollars was spent on the new buildings and the care of the displays.
I can't get there until later today but I thought the world should know. It's about time too as the vehicles that are fully operational and restored have been hidden away for several years, as well as the uniforms, small arms etc.

Sean
Old 09-06-07, 19:57

Hi Sean

That's good news. Hopefully you can post some pics.

Also, I hope they've re-painted the Armour back to more proper colour scemes.

regards
Darrell
Old 11-06-07, 06:30
M38A1 CDN3

Quote:
Originally posted by Darrell Zinck
Hi Sean

That's good news. Hopefully you can post some pics.

Also, I hope they've re-painted the Armour back to more proper colour scemes.

regards
Darrell
Darrell:

Angus Gosse claims that he, as Base CWO, was responsible for all that transpired with the re-opening of the BBMM.
Old 12-06-07, 07:57
M38A1 CDN3

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld
Darrell:

Angus Gosse claims that he, as Base CWO, was responsible for all that transpired with the re-opening of the BBMM.
...late breaking news...

Reports have it that the "new" BBMM rates as one of the best military museums in Canada!
Old 12-06-07, 15:00
RIP

Maybe we should consider an MLU meeting at Base Borden? Private tours, BBQ, etc... :idea:
Old 30-06-07, 02:22

Default Excellent Museum

Well I finally got to the museum on Base Borden today and I have to say WOW. They have put alot of time and money into the bldg and displays. Not everything is set up yet or even have all their explanation cards but you can sence that this will be a great place to take your family for a visit. It is also very open for modellers and historians alike.
The vehicles are easily accessable to photograph and ogle, and all the enclosed displays are well lit and easy to view.
A new feature will be the archives. The museum is planning on allowing access to it's manuals, books, training pamphlets, news papers, photographs etc. Right now they have a libraries worth of material out on the shelves but nothing is in order. Appearently this is only about 1/10th of what they have. I spent two hours going over CMP, Grizzly, trailer, Autocar, Universal Carriers, Wasp, weapons, artillery, manuals etc. They even had a few original German manuals out on the shelves. I saw a 250 Halftrack and a armoured car manual but couldn't tell you much else..I was overwhelmed at the time. There is also unit histories, unit diaries, field reports, after action reports, etc. As I said everything is mixed up so i had to do some digging. Hell I even found a German WW2 Identity paper.
Down the road there are plans to have a copier availble to the public.

The Museum is open everyday at 10:30 and closes at 3:00 except on Mondays when it's closed.

Sean

Old 30-06-07, 16:16
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Borden Museum Re-Opens today

Quote:
Originally posted by Sean Dunnage
For those interested. The CFB Borden Museum in Angus, Ontario which houses Canada's premier small arms collection, armour displays, and very unique and rare collections re-opens.

Sean
I can vouch for Sean's comments. I toured the museum in 1996 and was very impressed at it's collection then. Back then there were grumblings about whether or not it was to be closed. I'm glad to see that it is going to stay open and I heartily recommend it to anyone. it's well worth the trip.
Old 01-07-07, 13:27
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Re: Borden Museum Re-Opens today

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
I can vouch for Sean's comments. I toured the museum in 1996 and was very impressed at it's collection then. Back then there were grumblings about whether or not it was to be closed. I'm glad to see that it is going to stay open and I heartily recommend it to anyone. it's well worth the trip.
Hi Sapper..
Sean has brought up a great source of revenue for the museum...
A photo copier....!!!!
While most modlers can't read,they like the pictures...and knowing what manuals cost ,can't afford the whole manual but are more than willing to pay a buck or two for a picture of the detail they need...
A great source of revenue for the museum and I'm sure that any patriotic Canadian ,or American modler would be more than willing to support the museum with a few bucks for a photocopy of the shot he needs..
I know that coin op photocopiers are available from Xerox and would be a great benifit to the upkeep of the museum..