MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-06-19, 09:41
Lionel G. Evans

Default A veteran Singer Sewing Machine

Hello All,

I walked into the local saddler to get an extra hole added to a new belt because it was too loose. Just inside the doorway was an old Singer sewing machine. It looked out of place where it was positioned so it raised my interest. I asked the owner what the story was with the old Singer?

They promptly told me that they had just bought and installed a brand new high capacity sewing machine. The old Singer was now surplus to requirements and was up for sale. I asked "how much"? Then I braced myself because I have been researching the value of these machines. When the said how much they wanted I thought I did not hear the value correctly and so I asked them to repeat it. After they confirmed the amount I pulled out my wallet and said "Sold".

I bought the machine last week and picked it up today. In the past couple of days the machine has been cleaned, tested and adjusted, so it is fully functional. It was one of those right places and the right time occasions.

I just checked online and the machine is a 31K47 Model and its serial number puts the machine as being made in 1942.

Another military restoration site mentions the following about the 31K47 Accessed 8th June 2019 from, http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/f46/ww...658/#post63658

WWII Singer Industrial machine Class 31K47 This maybe of interest to some, here's my WWII Class 31K47 Singer industrial sewing machine, this is a walking foot model, and was the work horse of WWII, this machine was used to make uniforms webbing items and light leather goods. Singers even made a special model 31SV52 (SV + special variety) which was dropped by parachute on D-day, to be used by Rigger units to repair equipment in the combat zone.

I bought the machine so I can sew my own upholstery - seat covers - for some of my restoration projects. The thought that I could be buying a machine 2 years younger than my 1940 Chevrolet Holden Cabin MCP General Service Truck did not even cross my mind! It's funny how somethings turn out!

Here is the link to the Singer Sewing Machine Serial Numbers. Serial Number ED-202.378 to ED-232.773. Made in 1942 https://cf.ltkcdn.net/antiques/files...ial-Number.pdf

Now I just have to learn how to sew!

Kind regards
Lionel
Series III ex-Military Land Rovers x 2

Last edited by Lionelgee; 08-06-19 at 09:48.