Default 1941 Dodge

1941 DODGE SEDAN RESTORATION By Neil Wain VMVC

Quote:
Click image for larger version

Name:	wain.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	121099

After restoring a 42 Jeep to military appearance and deriving much pleasure from the parades and rough bush trips with the VMVC for many years, it occurred to me that with the onset of middle-age and the lack of creature comforts in the green machine, perhaps it was time a more comfortable hobby vehicle was acquired, so I scouted around for a sedan car, preferably American from the pre-WW 11 era.
A member approached me with an offer to look at a 1941 Dodge (D20), ex-RAAF staff car he had for sale, and after a few enquiries about other vehicles that may have suited, decided to purchase the Dodge in 1987.
The car's history is incomplete, but the information I have from the previous owners indicates that the car was retired from RAAF service (RAAF No 202513) in 1952. Its history from that time till 1979 is unknown, probably purchased from disposals and run by a private owner until it was no longer roadworthy. It was advertised in the Melbourne "Age" on Saturday 19 May 1979 at Ballarat and purchased by a VMVC member after it was discovered to have had a military connection and has since passed through two other VMVC owners before me, each accumulating bits and pieces for the forthcoming restoration before deciding not to proceed.

I believe most Dodges and Plymouths of this vintage were acquired by the armed services for Air Force staff cars (most Chevs and Fords went to the Army) and several years after the war were sold at the disposal sales in a well-used condition.It was complete, but in poor condition. It had been painted dark green over the military olive drab. Some crude rust repair work had been attempted and a large dent in the roof panel had been roughly repaired by "tradesmen" for a previous VMVC owner. The interior was dilapidated with splits in the leather seats, damaged head lining and worn carpets. The motor ran roughly and had weak compression in most cylinders.

The Australian '41 Dodge was assembled at the TJ Richards Chrysler plant in Adelaide, SA, from parts and panels sourced from TJR local manufacturers and imported from the Canadian Chrysler plant in Windsor, Ontario. Physically, apart from chrome trim and dash styling, the vehicle's major differences to the 1940 model were the single piece 'alligator' bonnet, hinged at the cowl, installation of the battery in the engine bay instead of under the front seat, and the introduction of the longer 218 cu in motor, otherwise it was basically a Plymouth chassis and body with Dodge chrome trim and name plates conforming closely to the Canadian D20 Kingsway and D21 Kingsway Special models of that era.
The Australian '41 body differed from the Canadian version in that it had a two piece rear window instead of a single pane, different front and rear quarter vent window pivot design, retained the external door hinges from 1940 and had different door lock and window winder mechanisms. The RHD dashboard panel arrangement does not allow the standard Mopar push button valve radio of the time (Phiico 801 or Motorola 37D-1) to be installed in the opening provided as it fouls the cowl vent lever and dashboard brace behind the panel.

Mechanically, apart from being right hand drive, the Australian car had electric instead of vacuum screen wipers and a push button solenoid operated starter motor instead of the foot pedal lever mechanism used on the North American LHD cards. The RHD Australian column shift used a bowden cable and lever mechanism to actuate the gearbox selectors. The engine had a 4-1/16" stroke and a 3-3/8" bore (218 cu in), the same as the Canadian version of the car.

After taking delivery in November 1987, the Dodge was then progressively stripped down to a skeleton so that I could assess what needed repairing. In 1991 an advertisement appeared in the "Melbourne Trading Post" for a "41 Dodge at Kinglake West. The owner was prepared to sell for a reasonable price and so it was added to my stable.
There appear to be very few '41 Dodge cars left in Australia, apart from the two I purchased. I know of only three others - one four door sedan located in NSW registered and running; there is a two door convertible in SA under restoration (thought to have been one of two imported to Australia during WW11 and used by General MacArthur), and there is another four door ex-military car in Perth WA.

In response to an advert in the "Melbourne Trading Post", September 1991, for "41 Dodge panels, I purchased the front clip off a hearse, including the die-cast two piece grille, head lamps, bonnet mascot and dash, complete with instruments.
Having dismantled both cars, and with the newly acquired parts from the hearse, I was able to select the best parts, mechanicals and panels for the reconstruction. The chassis and running gear of the first, car, the body, shell, doors, seats and motor of the second car and the front sheet metal and dash of the hearse were chosen as the best basis for a ground-up restoration. The body was sent away to a Chrysler Club member to be sandblasted and have rust replacement work done whilst I worked on the chassis, brakes, steering and suspension. The other body shell and chassis were stripped of all useful parts and sent to Simms Metal for recycling.

The motor of the first car appeared badly worn so it was rejected and the second car's engine, which seemed to have had some recent work done on it, was tried but found to have a siezed oil pump which had stripped the camshaft worm drive for the oil pump and distributor. Also, the motor had been modified with a W crank and 3-7 /16" rebore (250 cu in) with the two centre pots sleeved and the underside of the cylinder block ground away to clear the bigger crankshaft. It also had a rust hole between the valve seats on
number three cylinder.

This engine was also discarded and neither motor was considered suitable for refurbishment, so I purchased a third engine from a '49 D32 Dodge which has the same specifications as the '41 D21 motor. A check showed the cylinders and pistons to be 0.020" o/s and in good condition. The crank was standard but needed a 0.010" grind. The head and block were surfaced and the valves and seats were refaced at a local engine shop. The motor was reassembled with new rings, bearings, seals and gaskets.
The standard clutch mechanism from the first car was installed with a new clutch plate. Both transmissions were dis-assembled, cleaned and checked for wear; both were in good condition except for some minor chips off the first gear. The gearbox from the first car was re-assembled using the best parts and new synchro rings.

All the die cast trim, such as the grilles, headlamp housings, tail lights and dashboard fittings, together with bumper bars and numerous other smaller items, were sent away for chrome plating after an extensive preparation procedure to remove as much of the inevitable pitting and rust as possible without destroying the parts concerned. In the process, the platers managed to snap the diecast windscreen centre bar, but I was lucky to be given a replacement by a generous Chrsysler member.
The body was re-fitted to the chassis and sent off to be painted. Rather than restoring the vehicle in olive-drab to represent a staff-car of the WW11 era, I've chosen a Nissan cream colour, Simpson Beige (DSD19) which closely represents a Mopar colour of the 1941 civilian period.
In 1997, ten years after I purchased the first car, I was ready to test the fruits of my labour. With no interior, front sheet metal or radiator, I primed the oil gallery and cranked the engine over without ignition. With the oil pressure registering about 40 Ibs pressure all seemed well. With the ignition on, the engine fired on the first try and ran very well considering that it had not been tuned at this stage. A short run out of the garage and back in first gear indicates that all the mechanical systems seemed to be working at that point in time.

I then had confidence to fit the radiator shell, radiator, front guards and bonnet and the vehicle was starting to take shape. The wiring to the headlamps, tail lights and interior lamps was finished off and the body was then ready for glazing and upholstery. It was discovered that the quarter vent design of the North American and Australian cars were different, so it was necessary to make quarter vent seals from universal rubber sections obtained from Australian sources. The interior garnish mouldings and dash panel were given a dark wood grain finish, following instructions found in an article in "Classic Cars" magazine.
I relocated the dash panel support brace and cowl vent lever to the centre of the firewall and installed the dash panel, instruments and interior lighting. A Mopar 802 push button, valve radio was fitted in the dash panel opening next to the glove box. A local motor trimmer fitted out the interior with a selection of mid-brown carpet, beige head lining and tan leather for the seats and matching tan vinyl door panels.
The car was checked out by the Chiysler Club inspectors on 23 November 1998, and is now complete with Club Permit plates CH 4345 for the 1999 Club season.

(Thank you very much Neil for this great restoration saga. Hope you have many enjoyable trips in your "fantastic Dodge ". Editor)
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 06-04-21, 04:06
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Chrome

Shiny chrome

https://territorystories.nt.gov.au/10070/746065
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 06-04-21, 11:13
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Raaf

Plymouth/Dodge 1941 model RAAF

https://territorystories.nt.gov.au/10070/786842
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 06-04-21, 11:49
MLU Administrator

Default Staff cars

Great pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
"Date: 01-01-1942 
Description: The chauffeur and the Commandant's 1941 Chevrolet staff car"

Name:	ph0417-0038_resized.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	445.6 KB
ID:	121345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
"Description: No. 79 Wing. Group Captain Charles Eaton and another man with Staff car 
Notes: Date:1944-04"

Name:	ph0612-0075_resized.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	482.5 KB
ID:	121346
Old 07-04-21, 14:14
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default more

https://townsville.spydus.com/cgi-bi...MT=IMG&SETLVL=

https://viewer.slv.vic.gov.au/?entit...15&mode=browse
1942-45 Jeep salad

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 07-04-21 at 14:20.
Old 15-04-21, 02:32

I have now definitely decided on the black Chevrolet for Alice Springs so the green US Air Force one has gone to a collector in Brisbane. He is planning at this stage to restore the Chevrolet with the two colour Australian paint scheme. His attention to detail is far beyond my efforts and I am sure the Chevrolet will be better than new like all his other vehicles and equipment.

Here it is with non standard markings but ready to carry the Governor of Queensland to the ANZAC Day parade.

Lang
Attached Thumbnails
Chev Black Front2.jpg  

Last edited by Lang; 15-04-21 at 05:31.
Old 24-11-21, 12:21
MLU Administrator

Default Back to the Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lang View Post
I have now definitely decided on the black Chevrolet for Alice Springs so the green US Air Force one has gone to a collector in Brisbane. He is planning at this stage to restore the Chevrolet with the two colour Australian paint scheme. His attention to detail is far beyond my efforts and I am sure the Chevrolet will be better than new like all his other vehicles and equipment.

Here it is with non standard markings but ready to carry the Governor of Queensland to the ANZAC Day parade.
Lang I hope you had a great trip and the Chev did well.
Old 24-11-21, 12:24
MLU Administrator

Default Chevrolet Master Sedan in Australian service?

Chevrolet Master Sedan in Australian service?

War In The Western Desert
Date taken: August 1942
Photographer: Bob Landry

Name:	9ef078af29f513a6_large.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	126132

Source: https://images.google.com/hosted/lif...f29f513a6.html
Old 15-10-22, 09:17

G’day Lang,

Late to the party, but how did your trip go? I’ve been enjoying the Pontiac, as someone once said, it’s like sitting on the lounge, driving the living room!

I’m thinking that if I can’t find an example of an impressed ‘40 Pontiac sedan in the AWM books, then I’d best make like it belonged to the US, a well-connected RAAF Squadron Leader, or someone dealing in forged ration cards!

Cheers,
Matt
Old 20-10-22, 18:22

Default Pontiac Sedans

Matt,

Very unusual in Aust military service as a sedan or 'Car, DS'. Most Aust military service Pontiacs were utilities.

That said, try Army reg number 127968, a 1939 model taken on charge in New Guinea, so an impressed vehicle (along with many other odd makes/models on that page of AWM126). See also post 39 (above) by Mike Kelly.

I've also got a record of a Pontiac sedan serving with the RAN in Melbourne in July 1945: registration RAN 52062. No details as to model, year, etc. RAN records are pretty crappy, so there may well have been others.

The Australian Government also supplied an unknown number of Pontiac sedans to the USASOS under the Reverse or Reciprocal Lend Lease scheme. These are mostly listed as 1941 and 1942 models. Registrations were typically configured 'USA-U-12036', which was a 1941 Pontiac sedan which had 23,858 miles on the odometer when returned to the Commonwealth for disposal in late 1944. (The USASOS also received a number of Pontiac utility vehicles.)

Mike

Last edited by Mike Cecil; 20-10-22 at 18:54.
Old 21-10-22, 06:21
Rick Cove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
Chevrolet Master Sedan in Australian service?

War In The Western Desert
Date taken: August 1942
Photographer: Bob Landry

Attachment 126132

Source: https://images.google.com/hosted/lif...f29f513a6.html
That photo is of a 1942 Chev which was quite different to both the 1940 and 1941 Chevs. The front doors on the 1942 are much larger and extend into the front mudguards. The side step has been done away with, the petrol filler has been moved back a bit and the tail lights are horizontal not vertical as on the 1940.

You can compare it with my 1940 Chev. Both cars still used the same engine.

Name:	IMG_8232.jpg
Size:	367.5 KB
ID:	130381
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 23-10-22, 19:41

Default More Pontiac Sedans ...

Matt,

I have a reference to the USASOS placing an order for 149 Pontiac Sedans (and 378 Pontiac Utilities), all of which were delivered before the end of March 1943. One of the Pontiac Sedans was subsequently released for the use of the Chinese Consulate. Looks like you have several possibilities for choosing authentic markings.

Mike
Old 24-10-22, 00:47

Matt

Trip went well excepting a gearbox problem coming home.

A highly recommended way of travel!

Lang
Old 31-10-22, 04:39
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Gloss staff cars

Seems the authorities suggested to use a GLOSS finish for staff cars, within Australia anyway, dated Feb. 45
Source: https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/Sear....aspx?B=453113
Attached Thumbnails
gloss-paint.jpg  
1942-45 Jeep salad

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 13-02-23 at 04:12.
Old 04-02-23, 11:24
MLU Administrator

Canadian and Australian passenger car model designations. From a 1941-1942 Chevrolet passenger car and truck shop manual for sale by Keith Webb

Name:	16B3B133-B0BD-4655-841B-8E27225EA6E5.jpg
Size:	962.1 KB
ID:	132704 Click image for larger version

Name:	E8822A21-57E2-42D1-90C4-AF5A25C94E2A.jpeg
Views:	0
Size:	751.7 KB
ID:	132705

Name:	6BAFD9E2-0BF4-4CA0-9294-4DB5B85BF920.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	310.7 KB
ID:	132706
Old 12-02-23, 05:56

Thank you Mike and Lang, good to know. I'll follow the lead and see what I can manage. At this stage, I'm hoping to do the drive from Junee to Corowa next month.

Cheers,
Matt
Old 12-02-23, 08:43
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
Canadian and Australian passenger car model designations. From a 1941-1942 Chevrolet passenger car and truck shop manual for sale by Keith Webb

Attachment 132704 Attachment 132705

Attachment 132706
I spotted that exact same green covered manual at a swap meet today , the seller was asking $20. The GM-H published edition of that manual has a greyish cover , I have a copy but the spine is damaged and the pages are very loose. Didn't see any military hardware at the swap except for a monocular gun (?) ranging sight, it had selectable filters , red, clear and another position. I had a look through it and the cross hairs were clear - it would have been a nice item but where do you stop collecting stuff !
1942-45 Jeep salad

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 13-02-23 at 04:07.
Old 20-12-23, 12:06
MLU Administrator

Default "Disguise Treatment Of A Staff Car"

These photos were shared by Craig Moore, source is the "British Middle East Camouflage Section Historical Record".

I suspect the origin of this conversion is Australian - who else would disguise a staff car into a Ute, eh?

Name:	409158293_2106049803076944_6234061013585647573_n.jpg
Size:	379.9 KB
ID:	136650 Click image for larger version

Name:	406857162_2106049863076938_2275226788256701788_n.jpg
Size:	382.8 KB
ID:	136651

Name:	392875241_2106049883076936_5086660089957395732_n.jpg