MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 29-09-11, 04:37
Dave Good

Default Exhaust Muffler question

I am starting to work on my Exhaust system but in doing the search here there are some questions unanswered. What is the length of the Original muffler body as I know it has an 1 1/2" inlet and outlet and is 6" in diameter, My best guess is 17" ?? Also the pipe going from the Exhaust manifold down to the cast elbow looks to reduce down a size going into the elbow, Did it have some kind of asbestos seal that wrapped around the pipe going into the elbow ?? (see picture) as the parts book also seems to show the pipe #CTL 109,110 SA in illustration No 24 having a reduced section just going into the cast elbow.
Attached Thumbnails
220-2095_IMG.JPG   220-2097_IMG.JPG   220-2098_IMG.JPG  
Old 29-09-11, 06:28
Roberta

Default Mufflers

Dave
I went to lordco auto parts and bought 2 mufflers 14 inch long body 20 inches with inlet and outlet pipes part # 17901 made by profit. these are close to the orignal size. Then I had two pipes cut with a 90 degree bend to match up to the mufflers, I just have to cut them to the correct length to fit my MK I

Roberta
AKA
Universalgrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by super dave View Post
I am starting to work on my Exhaust system but in doing the search here there are some questions unanswered. What is the length of the Original muffler body as I know it has an 1 1/2" inlet and outlet and is 6" in diameter, My best guess is 17" ?? Also the pipe going from the Exhaust manifold down to the cast elbow looks to reduce down a size going into the elbow, Did it have some kind of asbestos seal that wrapped around the pipe going into the elbow ?? (see picture) as the parts book also seems to show the pipe #CTL 109,110 SA in illustration No 24 having a reduced section just going into the cast elbow.
Old 29-09-11, 07:57
Bluebell

Default Dave

The end of each pipe has a sort of ball shape to it. This will allow the pipe to be poked into the cast elbow, and then moved to offer it up to the manifold.
There is no special seal of any sort. Its just a close fit.
Another aspect is that the motor will rock on the engine mounts (slightly)and the cast elbows are angled and sited so as to allow the pipes to move up and down as well as expand and contract, with heat. All clear as mud?
There is more to this. The floor will move slightly (relative to the exhaust pipes) as the carrier traverses rough terrain. With this all in mind, it make sense that the power unit is installed correctly with good engine mounts.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....

Last edited by Lynn Eades; 29-09-11 at 07:59. Reason: more dribble
Old 29-09-11, 17:52
Dave Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by universalgrl View Post
Dave
I went to lordco auto parts and bought 2 mufflers 14 inch long body 20 inches with inlet and outlet pipes part # 17901 made by profit. these are close to the orignal size. Then I had two pipes cut with a 90 degree bend to match up to the mufflers, I just have to cut them to the correct length to fit my MK I

Roberta
AKA
Universalgrl

Thanks for the info but I would like to know what the original length of the body as there have been a few suggestions for replacement mufflers but they look a bit shorter than the original length (according to some of the pictures I have seen of them) and I have a good pair of tailpipes I am going to reuse. There have been others on here asking about the length but it doesn't seem like it has been answered.
Old 29-09-11, 18:06
Richard Harrison

Kevin Powles is busy making a load of down pipes perhaps give him a message he may have the answer ?

__5th Div___46th Div__
1942 Ford Universal Carrier No.3 MkI*
Lower Hull No. 10131
War Department CT54508 (SOLD)
1944 Ford Universal Carrier MkII* (under restoration).
1944 Morris C8 radio body (under restoration).
Old 29-09-11, 18:09
Dave Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eades View Post
The end of each pipe has a sort of ball shape to it. This will allow the pipe to be poked into the cast elbow, and then moved to offer it up to the manifold.
There is no special seal of any sort. Its just a close fit.
Another aspect is that the motor will rock on the engine mounts (slightly)and the cast elbows are angled and sited so as to allow the pipes to move up and down as well as expand and contract, with heat. All clear as mud?
There is more to this. The floor will move slightly (relative to the exhaust pipes) as the carrier traverses rough terrain. With this all in mind, it make sense that the power unit is installed correctly with good engine mounts.

Thanks for the info Lynn, Your the man. I was kind of thinking that but not it having a ball shaped end on it but more of a straight end like it looked in the picture . Would anyone out there have a picture of an original down pipe that a person could see what it really looks like ??
Old 29-09-11, 18:10
Dave Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT10829 View Post
Kevin Powles is busy making a load of down pipes perhaps give him a message he may have the answer ?
I will do that.
Old 30-09-11, 01:59
RIP

Default muffler

When I redid my carrier I bought mufflers for the Pontiac Firefly car from Canadian Tire -they fit well and do the job at modest cost -I made a jig from an original pipe that goes from manifold to floor elbow (its rather heavy)-using the jig I had a new pipe made up and tack welded the flange to it-I then installed it pulling the flange up to a proper fit to the manifold-then I took it out again and welded the flange solid -Greg
Old 02-10-11, 18:42
Dave Good

If anyone wanted to know I found out that the Original muffler body length is 17" and the offset looking from one end of the muffler like a clock is 12:00 and 9:00.
Old 02-10-11, 20:31

Default mufflers

Hi, You will find a uk supplied Bosal Citron Saxo exhaust muffler is exact for a carrier in every way. I am making at the moment 6 sets of those down pipes, I have an original down pipe richard lent me but was missing the rounded ball end which I have a jenny to make it, will post some pics up when there finished.

kevin
Attached Thumbnails
carrierexhaust 028.jpg   carrierexhaust 037.jpg  
1941 Standard Mk1 stowage Carrier, light stone.
10 cwt wartime mortar trailer.
1943 Mk2 Daimler Dingo.
1943 Willys MB.
1936 Vickers MG carrier No1 Mk1 CMM 985.
Old 03-10-11, 04:47
Dave Good

Thanks, The pictures would be great. Your exhaust system turned out very nice, are your inlet and outlet 90 or 180 degrease apart ??
Old 29-06-14, 18:35
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin powles View Post
Hi, You will find a uk supplied Bosal Citron Saxo exhaust muffler is exact for a carrier in every way.
Hello Kevin,

Could you please provide basic dimensions and a part no. so I can check if these are a good fit for my Ford truck as well?

Thanks in advance!

Hanno
Old 29-06-14, 19:48
Richard Harrison

Point to note the bosal one is the only one that fits from the saxo, the rest are oval cans.... They are te exact same size length as a carrier can, and the diameter is the same too.

I am busy making mine, images etc on my thread, I make the top loops and bottoms out of stainless steel.

__5th Div___46th Div__
Lower Hull No. 10131
Old 06-07-14, 17:22
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT10829 View Post
Point to note the bosal one is the only one that fits from the saxo, the rest are oval cans.... They are te exact same size length as a carrier can, and the diameter is the same too.

I am busy making mine, images etc on my thread, I make the top loops and bottoms out of stainless steel.
Richard,

Thanks, seen your work on your thread, looks good! Can you post a picture of sticker info / part number of the Bosal muffler?

Michael sent me a picture of an original Carrier muffler, they are 42-cm or 16.5-in long, whereas the truck one is a tad longer at 18-in. Of course the Carrier uses two mufflers whereas the truck only uses one.

Regards,
Hanno

Click image for larger version

Name:	0C9A60A0-DC0F-46FD-8F15-59A0045A6C85_zpse4ho9hgn.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	66287
Old 06-07-14, 18:26
Richard Harrison

Yeah sure, standby one.

__5th Div___46th Div__
Lower Hull No. 10131
Old 06-07-14, 18:31
Richard Harrison

Literally just stuck mine on.... So much quieter ! I have not mounted the brackets in this image.

All my piping including that which goes back to the elbow in the floor is all stainless steel.

__5th Div___46th Div__
Lower Hull No. 10131
Old 07-07-14, 02:41

good time for the convoy disk mounting bolt. . . as you are just 'faffing' about with d'all else to do . . . Nine days to go, or is it eight ...
Attached Thumbnails
dont forget the convoy disk bolt.jpg   convoy disc muffler band bolt location.jpg   convoy disc mounting on lower muffler retaining band.jpg  

Last edited by Michael R.; 07-07-14 at 04:28.