MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 17-02-12, 18:09

Default Iltis question: How do I get a look at the condition of the brake pads?

Hello,

How do I get a look at the condition of the brake pads on the brakes of my Iltis? Can I simply just crank off the center bolt and will the brake drum then come off?

Also, would anyone know where I could get a service manual online? (I've found operation manuals, but no service manuals...)

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

W.
Old 18-02-12, 05:24
carrier mech

With the wheel off the drum should theoretically come off at that point. However they did tend to rust on. First method was to stick some 8mm bolts into the little holes that were there for the purpose of removing the drums. Warming up the flat part around near the hub also helps....just propane warm, not oxy acetelene hot. A couple taps with the hammer between the wheel bolt holes will usually break them free. Sometimes you will have to back off the brakes to get the drums off.

The shoes on the Iltis were quite thin. The linings were originally rivetted, so it seemed like the vehicles were always grounded because the mechanic deemed them too thin. They eventually made them with bonded linings so you could get a lot more life out of them.

Sorry, I can't help you on the manual end.....I was not a big fan of the Iltis and believe they should have all been smelted. But some of the others here are suckers for punishment....they will be along soon with their knowledge of where to find manuals.
Old 20-02-12, 05:19

I didn't know they had twin leading brakes shoes in the front...rather British in design for a French Canadian Company...Non?
Old 21-02-12, 02:01

Default Thank you...

Thanks very much for all advice and help - much appreciated!!!
Old 24-02-12, 01:57
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Funny, very appreciative here on MLU, but, Mr Wilke, you have to be the rudest person I have ever met.
To my MLU breathren here, I will stand by my comments and make no apologies. It is very easy to chastise others via the internet, having never met someone face to face, but after todays encounter I feel warranted and would gladly say the same face to face...At the time I was so pissed off I just left, being the nice guy that I am.
I stopped in at Mr. Wilke's establishment as I was in N Ontario on business. I was greeted by a fellow behind the counter who was an employee obviously. He seemed OK enough to me. I introduced myself, expressed my interests, both MV and firearms related and made some queries.
When Mr Wilke came out of the back, said counterperson relayed my info to which I recieved a statutory Hmmmph... I relayed the fact that I had seen some posts on a couple of forums and was berated by Mr Wilke to the point that the forums, his business etc are separate entities, matter of factly.
I made the mistake of inquiring about the Iltis he purchased and his brake questions. It was implied to me more or less to mind my own business...I inquired about a couple deact firearms I was interested in and was ignored... BTW, Mr Wilke, I had a pocket full of $$$ and I WAS in a buying mood today...
This is outstanding as I see you are new to the Forum and MLU community. I am certainly happy that the rest of my MLU brothers conduct themselves on a more friendly basis.

Sorry Moderator (Hanno) and the rest of the boys here. If you wish to do business with this guy thats up to you.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers

Last edited by chris vickery; 24-02-12 at 14:46. Reason: spelling
Old 24-02-12, 04:52
carrier mech

Poor form Chris....perhaps Peter was having a bad day? I have dropped by his store a time or two and the greeting was always cordial and the dealing was fair.
Old 24-02-12, 14:29
3RD ECHELON WKSP

I don't think so Rob...
I have a great deal of people who know me personally within the MV community. I am probably one of the most easy going, friendly and helpful and approachable individuals around.
For me to get so pissed off that I would publicly denounce someone else's behaviour on a public forum means that I was pushed past the limit of tolerance.
I am always a fair and square dealer, am honest and forthright, and have dealt with many, many people worldwide.
A bad day perhaps, what happened to "the customer is always right"?
My rant is over, will not waste anymore energy on the matter, case closed.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers