MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 05-08-18, 19:08

Default Mk1* Carrier T No

Hello all,

I have just found all of the serial numbers on my Mk1* Carrier, but there is no T No.

The details on the upper edge of the front hull plate read:

‘- 3 1942 Ford 5868 (the a 2 under a broad arrow)’

The lower hull number on the rear angle iron is 4935

The hull number behind the commander is CB 4374

Does anyone know how I can work out the T serial No, or know how I can get any details on contract etc?

Many thanks,

P.S I will post some pictures as soon as I can work out how to do it?
Old 05-08-18, 20:10

Paraphrased
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Millward View Post
Hello all,

I have just found all of the serial numbers on my Mk1* Carrier, but there is no T No.

The details on the upper edge of the front hull plate read:

‘- 3 1942 Ford 5868 (the a 2 under a broad arrow)’

The lower hull number on the rear angle iron is 4935

The hull number behind the commander is CB 4374

Does anyone know how I can work out the T serial No, or know how I can get any details on contract etc?
I do not see your engine number listed. Look on the left rear corner of the engine block, on the machined surface of the intake manifold. That number reads left to right. Once you have that number you could have an accurate data plate made.

Look to see your WD series T number, which may be partially concealed under the lid of the instrument panel. I believe you will find your carrier was produced as one of 3,400 made for War Supplies Limited, Contract WSL72.2. That research material was published by Nigel Watson in his 2006 publication Universal Carriers, Volume 1, Page 293. ISBN 978 0 9556009 0 6. I am suspicious the Contract number may read ‘WSL 72.250’ or ‘WSL 72.251’

Document research within the Directorate of Movements may show the shipping details from Ford of Canada for that carrier, however: the files are not indexed. At more than 150 reels with an average of 5,000 images per reel it is a labourious task.

Last edited by Michael R.; 06-08-18 at 15:26.
Old 05-08-18, 20:29

Thanks Michael,

I haven’t noted the engine number yet, that is the next thing on the list. Once I have, do you know where I can get a data plate made? Mine is missing.

I took the driver’s panel cover off but couldn’t see the T number. It looks like there has been a repair/weld at some point, so that section of the Armour could have been lost.

Can you tell me what ‘War Supplies Ltd’ is as I have not heard that term before?

Many thanks,

Tom
Old 05-08-18, 21:01

Paraphrased
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Millward View Post
Thanks, . . . can you tell me what ‘War Supplies Ltd’ is as I have not heard that term before?
Ford of Canada did ship universal carriers to the British Ministry of Supply under WSL 72.250. Each carrier was boxed, the box given a number, the carrier WD number was listed on the weights and measures document. For example, on 15th October, 1942, case #2 contained T174801. (A boxed MK-I* carrier weighed 9,400 lbs.).

The standing order book at Ford Canada was reported by Watson with notes showing War Department (WD) numbers allocated to South Africa, Australia, New Zealand and East Africa.

You may know CDLV, (Crown Department of Land Vehicles) or simply the contraction ‘CD’ were Canadian contracts. SM were British, A for Australia and NZ for New Zealand. That information is published by Watson in Volume 1 at page 294.

The Canadian government supported other countries through assorted Mutual Aid programs; their contracts appear to have AID/GB, AID/USSR, AID/CHI, followed by the appropriate numerical order, i.e.: AID/USSR 59.

Roger Lucy, the late Clive Law, Hanno S. and others have discussed in some detail the WSL and Mutaul Aid minutiae back about 2010/2011.

Last edited by Michael R.; 22-01-20 at 05:22.
Old 06-08-18, 20:54
Bluebell

Tom, suggest you pick a different number. T53664 is a number used by two carriers in N.Z. I have a photo somewhere showing this number, very faded, but looking very original, on one of them.

THIS POST IS FLAWED. SEE NEXT POST.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....

Last edited by Lynn Eades; 07-08-18 at 07:02.
Old 07-08-18, 07:00
Bluebell

Tom, having had a discussion with a friend, I have been brought up to speed.
I now know where your carrier came from, and can verify that the number is T53664 . Somewhere I have a photo that would date back to the 70s.
As a matter of interest, I believe that it carried the N.Z. Governor General and his wife in a street parade in one of N.Zs provincial towns, many years ago.
When I find the photos, I will be able to confirm.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....