MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 23-07-10, 00:26
MVT Member 11001

Default CMP Chevrolet CGT 1944 13 Cab?

On Milweb for sale is this CMP and I'm interested to know why its called a CMP Chevrolet CGT 1944 13 Cab when it looks like a GS 15 cwt.

But then there is something different about the rear of the cab which has a seem running up the side and over the roof. I do not recognise the style of rear tub and the wheels look to big.

Can anyone work out what it actually is?
Attached Thumbnails
CMP 15cwt.jpg  
Old 23-07-10, 01:20

I would say it is a cut down CGT made into a GS look alike.

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Old 23-07-10, 01:24

Default More puzzling points

It is on 20" wheels which could be as simple as the owner likes the look or indicate heavier origins.
The fuel tank looks like it has the proportions similar to C60X that I believe shared the larger tank with the CGT, but it is hard to tell from 1 photo.
The spare tire carrier does not look familiar, but that could be my lack of knowledge. It does look easier to load than the production models I'm familiar with, particularly for one man use.
The body looks as if it either has minimal space for suspension wheel travel or it has wheel houses internal to the box with no sign showing outside which is not normal for a Canadian made box. Another possiblilty is that the curved mudguards (not usual on Canadian steel bodies) continue into the box to make a round wheel house, I am not familiar with a body like that, at least as Canadian steel production.
The front maker lights don't look original, but are probably more visible, safer and may be a legal requirement for registration in the owner's area.

Most parts of the description seem truthful taken one piece at a time. It does seem to be CMP, Chevrolet is possible, CGT could be the origin of chassis and cab back to rear of door, it is cab 13 style (as opposed to 11 or 12) however I'm not aware of the precise configuration shown being a production variant gun tractor. In the end, it's the owner 's truck and they can do what they want with it (at least in my opinion), particularly since they don't seem to be deliberately misleading. The truck looks in a state that says someone cares about it, it shouldn't be headed to the scrappies any time soon which might have been it's fate if left waiting for a perfectly accurate restoration. Who knows?
Old 23-07-10, 01:45
GM Fox I

Default I agree

I think a cut down 13 cab gun tractor (look at the rear of the cab) with a custom rear body replacing the original sloped body.
Old 23-07-10, 03:18

Default Damn Bruce...

...I didn't even get to say what you just said!

Are you sniffing around for another project.

Saw a HUP go into a scrap squasher two weeks ago. Sad sad sight.

Owner of the yard had sold the entire yard and land.

Peter S
Old 23-07-10, 03:29
Mr. HUP

Default Oh, the humanity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter simundson View Post
...Saw a HUP go into a scrap squasher two weeks ago. Sad sad sight...Peter S
Peter, I can only imagine the horror. This is the reason that the Hammond crew travels the wilds of Canada - to save CMPs from the worst of fates. Brings a tear to my eye...
Old 23-07-10, 16:27

Default Didn't one of the Scandinavian Country's do this as standard conversion.

I remember seeing something like this on a web site showing this type of conversion as standard, memory says Norway. Don't remember seeing a reason for the conversion but it might have been along the lines of making all special use vehicles look like standard cargo types to reduce their attractiveness as targets.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 23-07-10, 16:51

Default Another possible explanation...

If they had converted the artillery towing role to heavier trucks with more ammunition storage capacity (as many countries did) they might have seen the opportunity to recycle a group of trucks that had remaining useful life...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Waterman View Post
I remember seeing something like this on a web site showing this type of conversion as standard, memory says Norway. Don't remember seeing a reason for the conversion but it might have been along the lines of making all special use vehicles look like standard cargo types to reduce their attractiveness as targets.

Cheers Phil
Old 23-07-10, 16:56
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Waterman View Post
See Interesting CGT for some pictures of the Danish Army CGT conversion and the reason why they converted it. The CGT advertised here is featured in that thread, too.

Having a closer look at the picture above I can only conclude the person who restored it fabricated a cargo box, probably because that was easier to do than refabricating the FAT rear body which must have been missing like on many if not most FATs.

H.
Old 24-07-10, 00:33
MVT Member 11001

Default Dannish CMP

Hanno,

I think you are right - even the seem round the cab is shown on the Danish version and the rear tub too.
Old 24-07-10, 01:16

The photos of the Danish conversions seem to have bodies of two patterns, resembling cut down CCKW bodies or regular CMP 15 cwt bodies. I didn't see any with the rounded mudguards under the body tray seen here, except for the image that seems to be of the truck discussed here.
Old 25-07-10, 15:49
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hayward View Post
I think you are right - even the seem round the cab is shown on the Danish version and the rear tub too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Bowker View Post
The photos of the Danish conversions seem to have bodies of two patterns, resembling cut down CCKW bodies or regular CMP 15 cwt bodies. I didn't see any with the rounded mudguards under the body tray seen here, except for the image that seems to be of the truck discussed here.
Larry, Grant,

Indeed the Danish Army CGT conversion made use of a body patterned on the Amercian cargo body, possibly modified from surplus ones.

Like I said, the CGT advertised above is fitted with fabricated a cargo box, probably because that was easier to do than refabricating the FAT rear body which must have been missing like on many if not most surviving FATs.

Hanno
Old 25-07-10, 19:50
Michael Henriksen

I emailed the seller asking for information about the box but I guess he can't be bothered to answer. The Danish ones look like they sit up closer to the cab.
Old 25-07-10, 20:06
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastblock View Post
I emailed the seller asking for information about the box but I guess he can't be bothered to answer. The Danish ones look like they sit up closer to the cab.
Indeed, the Danish conversion does not have a spare wheel mount in between the cab and the cargo box.

So the answer to Larry's initial question is: this is a CMP Chevrolet CGT 1944 13 Cab fitted with fabricated a cargo box which makes it look like a GS 15 cwt on 20-in wheels. It might be the perfect truck for someone to run as such or fabricate a proper FAT rear body - this has been done before.

H.