MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 30-12-08, 01:51
02 BK 09 ; 02 BK 32

Default Humber 1-Ton Truck in Xmas Cracker!

Hi - first off, congratulations Richard on your fantastic truck, looks really tidy. Sorry to hear you injured yourself, though.

But here's a funny thing. Sitting down to Christmas dinner, pulled a cracker, a small plastic truck fell out. "At least it's got wheels", I thought, better than a yo-yo or whatever. "Actually, looks a bit like a Humber....BLIMEY! it IS a Humber!"- There is no mistake, with the two hatches, the spare wheel hatch on the left, the ridged bonnet, split screens...no two ways about it, this is a Humber GS truck...

You will see it is tiny, photographed with a penny (for you guys in Oz, a penny is pretty small, 20mm accross and 1.8mm thick -Thanks to photographer Simon Marriot - not an easy thing to capture!)

So how is a truck produced in such low numbers 56 years ago getting into a cheap Xmas cracker made in China? My guess is that this is a scaled-down copy of the Dinky Toys Humber - Once I found a low-grade miniature copy of the Dinky austin K9 water carrier so this appears was common practice in Chinese toy factories.

The truck is in packs of Sainsburys foil crackers - now reduced to 62p per pack, picture of gifts on back of the box so you can be sure...I bought a few packs so if anyone is desperate for one of these for their collection I will send a couple out for free to folks if you want one. It will never be a valuable collectors piece but is an interesting curiosity and part of the story - how the Dinky toy of a prototype vehicle with one-piece hatches (LYN 69?) spawned more toy trucks than real ones....as I speak there are more of these toys in circulation than real trucks ever produced, but most will be in the bin by the weekend!
Check out photos.
Happy New Year!
Tom
Portsmouth
UK
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01226.jpg   DSC01228.jpg   DSC01227.jpg   DSC01225.jpg  

Last edited by Humber-One-Ton Tom; 30-12-08 at 01:55. Reason: error
Old 30-12-08, 02:54
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Coincidence

How amazing!

I'm still waiting for a little plastic CMP to pop out of one.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 30-12-08, 03:54
RIP

Default Even More Of A Coincidence

Hi all - the model has exactly the same colour scheme as Rich's since I repainted it. Hope you like it Rich.

Bob
Website owner - salesmanbob.com
Old 30-12-08, 08:04

Hi Tom,
If it was really a Humber, it would leave little oil stains wherever you park it.....
Would have been a hoot though.

Bob,
Nothing wrong with RAAF Blue, not sure about the HiVis. canvas though
Rich.
Old 13-01-09, 11:56
RIP

Default Toxic Waste Removal

Hi all - Ada and I have just completed an EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) toxic waste removal contract by transporting a Humber truck to the Hazardous Waste Storage Facility in Barnwartha, Victoria, where Richard C-S is the caretaker. Three day trip with the Hino, a breeze. Passed Corowa so it was also a good idea run for March. I'll let the caretaker post the delivery images.

Bob
Attached Images

Old 13-01-09, 12:00
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Moseley View Post
Hi all - Ada and I have just completed an EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) toxic waste removal contract by transporting a Humber truck to ..........

Bob
So the Trailer never made it?
Old 13-01-09, 12:04
RIP

Default Trailer

Hi Tim Tam - yes the trailer made it as well. It was also filled up with Humber toxic waste.

Bob
Old 17-01-09, 11:19

Default Reverse Raid?

One feels, perhaps, a touch surprised that a gentleman of Bobs undoubted experience is unable to grasp the subtle intricacies of that time honoured art, "Border Raiding".
Will be watching with keen interest to see what is delivered in his next sortie...
Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Humber Del1.jpg   Humber del2.jpg   Humber Del3.jpg  
Old 23-05-09, 10:47

Default Help!

Hi all Humber experts out there,
Can anyone tell me how to get oil into the outside tracta unit for each wheel? Inside unit has its own fill plug, outside unit appears sealed. Possible that it feeds oil through from the diff when mobile, but certainly does not when stationary, and not game to try. (Have one hub open to see if oil comes in from diff or inside tracta joint). One pic in the drivers manual shows a plug at the side of the hub, but this does not exist, and no mention is made?

While I'm here, does anyone know what the bracket in the first pic is for, only seen it on Aussie ones so far, the only thing I can find to fit are the flat sections that are part of the canvas framework(As Shown). Inside the tub are a set of straps which have me puzzled as well(2nd pic).
Any help greatly appreciated as always
Rich
Attached Thumbnails
CC09 001.jpg   CC09 006.jpg  
Old 30-05-09, 23:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Coutts-Smith View Post
Can anyone tell me how to get oil into the outside tracta unit for each wheel? Inside unit has its own fill plug, outside unit appears sealed.
Rich the outer one should be a lubrication nipple on the tracta housing but on the other side to the inner one. The technique is to remove the inner plug & inject the oil through the outer nipple. If you top up each end there could be an air lock. So keep pumping oil in it may take a while but oil should flow out through the inner hole.

It's all rather awkward lying under there pumping & making sure the oil pump feed is still on the nipple, then suddenly oil whooshes out onto your stomach. If this is preceded with a belch from the housing you know you have displaced air.

So often these joints get neglected & often you can see that grease has been injected instead of oil, as it has been assumed to have been a 'grease' nipple.
UK
Old 31-05-09, 14:30

Thanks so much Clive,
Even with the hub in bits I could not work that out. The grease nipples have certainly been used to grease it, will clean them out and start pumping. The drivers manual does mention something like this, but it reads as though it involves the inner one only. Will try reading it again with this in mind.
Owe you one
Rich
Old 03-08-09, 10:27

Default Snorkel

Only ever seen one small Black&White photo of a Humber with a snorkel, so for posterity here is one in colour. Obviously the Australian delivered Humbers (or Commers according to the plates) were supplied with these kits, as there seem to be more snorkels around than trucks.
Old 03-08-09, 10:39

Default Snorkel

Only ever seen one small Black&White photo of a Humber with a snorkel, so for posterity here is one in colour. Obviously the Australian delivered Humbers (or Commers according to the plates) were supplied with these kits, as there seem to be more snorkels around than trucks.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-09, 01:43
02 BK 09 ; 02 BK 32

Default Snorkel for Underwater Driving

Hi Richard - great photo with snorkel - yeah, I've only seen old B&W pics before and never a real one. How easy are these to get over there in Oz?

I want one for my "Back from the Dead" Humber - I want to see what she can do underwater and in nasty places I would never dare take a lovely truck like yours.

Latest photos attached - taken last March, I've had no time to do anything since then but she's wrapped up dry. Still a long way to go but now it's believable she'll drive one day..."As Found" shot included to show how far she's come so far.
Tom
Portsmouth
UK
Attached Thumbnails
0061 2009 March 10 front 3-4, could believe this will drive.jpg   0055 2009 March 10 doors & screen chopped off.jpg   0055 2009 March 10 Interior looking pretty tidy now.jpg   0057 2009 March 10 doors & screen chopped NSF.jpg   0001 2007 Apr 3rd Wrecked truck OSF.jpg  

Old 05-09-09, 01:55
02 BK 09 ; 02 BK 32

Default What it's for...

And just a quick reminder of what that snorkel is for. (photo thanks to Les Freathy) Yeah, we've all seen it, but I just love this photo.

Mind you, if this looks extreme, there's a photo somewhere of these same crazy guys driving a Champ through the same puddle...really it's just 2 heads sticking out of the water. What a way to earn a living!

Tom
Portsmouth
UK
Attached Thumbnails
mlu11[1].jpg  
Attached Images

Old 05-09-09, 14:18

Hi Tom
Looks like you would have removed a lot of rust with the roof, also removed the top bracket for the snorkel. It was the "U" section with 2 vertical holes bolted on the "A" pillar, about where the end of the wiper blade is.
Had always assumed that the air intake was reversed and reused, but it is actually replaced with a cast aluminium face up intake, bolting in to the same holes. The steel snorkel "Stack" has 2 pins that locate it (by sliding in the holes in the bracket as described above) These 2 parts are then joined by a section of convoluted rubber tubing and I assume a couple of Jubilee clips.
Quite easy to fit, apart from the rubber tube being very stiff. The only problem is that the side mirror fouls when the door is opened.
As you are copying the proto-type soft top I'm sure that no one could say you were wrong however you fitted one.
There were 3 stacks available, but only one full kit (It always pays to ask, the seller did not realise what the other parts were for) I snaffled the kit, and both the other "Stacks" have since gone as well. Can honestly say I did not ever expect to see these on E-Bay, let alone have the seller drop them off for me on his way past. Some days you can just do no wrong.
I note in one of your pics that the spare tyre holding bracket appears to be in the middle of the support bar behind the passengers seat. Are these supposed to move? Mine is welded to the outside end of the slot. Can't work out how it is supposed to hold a spare in place, not that 10.50- 20.00's fit in the compartment, but I will eventually have a tyre that will fit. Can you explain how it actually works?
As well as, any idea what sort/set up of straps was used to hold down the tilt frame bars when they are in the stowed position behind the cab? I have 2 hinge brackets with an inch of webbing left in them. Nothing shown in the spares book.
Have just this week got my Humber on the road, even with brakes that work, which is always nice.
Temprature gauge will not work, and oil pressure switch needs to have the contacts cleaned up, just need to find someone with arms six foot long to reach in that far. (this would be that unique guy that can use the manual prime on the fuel pump as well).

"Wading Test" .Look for this thread in Post-war Military vehcles, not far down the list. There is a pic of the Champ wading test being re-enacted earlier this year, as well as an original pic of a Landy at sea.
Hoorooo
Rich
Old 07-09-09, 21:46

Default Smiley Burnett

I have just about completed the restoration of my FV1600 it has only 34000 miles on the clock, but i need a few parts, Plugs, points , wheel cylinders, fuel pump kit , break booster kit,carbureta kit has anyone out there got any info on where i may get these parts
I have two other veicles, as spares ,plus i have about two tons of mostly bran new parts , Axils ,transfer cases , gearboxes , complete wishbone suspensions plus,plus,maybe someone needs some of these parts i would like to get a workshop manual but i guess i would have a better chance of becoming president of the US
Regards Smiley
Old 08-09-09, 00:41

Hi Smiley
Welcome to MLU and fantastic to hear that another Humber will be going back on the road.
Where abouts in Aust. are you ?
Tim Vibert at Wangaratta should have most of the B60 bits as he supplies Ferret parts.
Russell Altmann in Stawel may have some parts mixed in with all his Champ stuff.
If you want the contact details for these guys, let me know and I will PM them to you.
Wheel cylinders sound like they are same as the Ferret, maybe easier to get them sleeved in Stainless Steel, the 1/8 cups are as common as... Master cylinder kit also common.
As for the booster, no idea.
Champ Parts do have Humber parts in the UK, but at a premium cost.
Workshop manuals on CD do come up on E-bay (from Vintage Manuals ? in the UK) but he wants about $115 Aust. for them. User manuals are cheaper, and Tim V. does have copies of the Parts book.
How about some pics of your project??
By my reckoning, 2 tons of Humber spare parts is a couple of wheel barrow loads, man they made these things heavy.
Corowa 2011 is Year of the British, if you are looking for a reason to get it finished.....
Rich.
Old 21-03-10, 02:56

Default Treed Humber

Saw a photo taken 20 years ago with a little sapling growing under a Humber. Eventually the photographer eneded up with the truck, and the somewhat larger tree. tree was left in place for posterity, the other pics show the price you pay for leaving a Humber outdoors. I have been assured that this truck is still running, and has even been taken to a show like this.
Rich.
Attached Thumbnails
Hum1.jpg   Hum2.jpg   Hum3.jpg  
Old 23-04-10, 01:12

Default Humber Heaven or Hell

Pictures say it all.
Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Humb. Relics 065.jpg   Humb. Relics 065 (1).jpg   Humb. Relics 065 (2).jpg  
Old 23-04-10, 01:19
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Humbers

Or should we call them "Slumbers"?

Incredibly picturesque and a sight to grace any property.

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 24-04-10, 00:53
Bruce McCann

Default Humber

My Familly's Humber at Kurrajong about 1980

Bruce McCann
Old 24-04-10, 00:57
Bruce McCann

Default humber

If link fails:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v602/amvcs_nsw/AMVCS Trips and pics/
Old 28-05-10, 01:43
Blitzed

Default grab a bargin

I reckon this is a bloody good deal!
Even comes with a trailer!

http://www.whatsinyourpaddock.com.au/ads/204

You better get in quick richard!
Old 28-05-10, 06:29
Rick Cove

Hi Ryan,
Iv'e been dealing on this one for more than 18 months. It actually goes up for auction this weekend. The reserve now is $15,000. Not the $3,000 as in your link. It started at $3,000, was then pulled off the market and involved the Sherrifs Office and the courts as there is some dispute over the Estate. It is from a museum which is being cleared. $15,000 is far too much for me so it will be interesting to see what it goes for.
regards Rick.
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 28-05-10, 06:43
Rick Cove

Here are the Auction details. Look at Lot 9.
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
SCAN0001.jpg  
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 28-05-10, 07:36
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Good grief!

To quote the immortal film: "Tell 'em they're dreamin'!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynx42 View Post
Here are the Auction details. Look at Lot 9.
Rick

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 28-05-10, 11:56
Blitzed

Default Humber price

$15,000 ohh.
Thanks for clearing that up rick.

Good website though, I'll keep my eye on that one.
Old 29-05-10, 01:18

OK, sounds like everyone knows about this one now. Interesting to read the valuers judgement on the old girl, sounds like the basis for the $3000 was that the vehicle was not actually running while it was inspected. As for the reserve price, I don't think he is dreaming at all, these are quite rare now, maybe 10 that are roadable, or close to. It took me 12 years to get one, and to see one in this condition......Talking Australia of course, by the way I am assuming that this is a true British "Humber" imported by Archie Marshall, and not the Commer badged Aussy Army order. This would explain the British round pattern gaurds on the trailer.
Hope it goes to a good home
Rich
Old 29-05-10, 01:26
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Dreamin'

That was more relating to the prices of the 60s and 70s Rootes Group cars.

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb