MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 18-08-12, 00:45
VMVC

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your kind comments. It was actually a lot of fun to dust of the old T square, drawing board, and triangles to make the drawings- no CAD for this old boy!
I think I will start a new thread in the Restoration Forum with the drawings as that is the more appropriate place for them. I kind of just kept adding to my original thread in Sergeant's Mess.
I believe if I post the drawings as pdf attachments they will view full size. Will try that if it does not violate forum rules.
Nice to see another American who appreciates the CMP vehicles too.

Cheers

Jacques Reed
Old 18-08-12, 16:50

Default Part specific new thread great idea

Hi Jacques

Just saw your part specific thread heading Ford CMP Truck- Battery Holder plans this is a great idea as it will make the drawing much easier to find.

Yes, we are showing are age to admit that we started doing drawings with a pencil and T square. I only made the transition to CAD when all the projects I was working on in my work were done in CAD.

I got a kick out of your My background closing to your notes made me curious about how you chose Melbourne, figure with all the world you had seen you picked one of your favorite places.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com

Last edited by Phil Waterman; 19-08-12 at 00:55. Reason: spelling
Old 19-08-12, 00:30
VMVC

Default Coming to Australia

Hi Phil,
It is a long story how I wound up in Melbourne Australia from the farmlands of PA.
It began with my mother being an Australian who met my dad in Brisbane while he served in the US Army Signal corps in Australia and New Guinea during WW2. She came to the US in 1946 and married my dad. When dad retired in 1972 he brought mom back to Australia to have a few years with her elderly parents as she had only seen them once in 26 years. (it was the days before cheap international travel)
I graduated from Kings Point in 1974 and after only getting one relief job on an American merchant ship sat for 6 months unemployed. Mom and Dad in letters at that time said shipping companies were looking for deck officers in the Australian Merchant Navy (Marine) and sent me job ads from the papers. I packed my sextant and seagoing gear and headed down under in 1975 to see them as I had not seen them for two years also and thought I might have a working holiday for 6 months then go back to the US. A month after arriving I landed a job as Third Officer on a cruise ship sailing out of Hong Kong between the Far East and Australia. I met my future wife, an Australian from Melbourne onboard who was the Ship's Hairdresser on a working holiday also. As they say- the rest is history, and 37 years later I am still here.

Cheers

Jacques Reed
Old 19-08-12, 01:00
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Great story Jacques

And just think... if not for this you may never have even known what a CMP was...

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 19-08-12, 01:21

Default Great Reasons to have moved

Hi Jacques

Interesting and great reasons to have located in Australia.

Keith I'm not sure that not moving to Australia would have made Jacques immune to the CMP syndrome. CMP syndrome or addiction seems to strike where ever people come in contact with these little Beast's.

Cheers
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 19-08-12, 01:26
VMVC

Default CMP addiction

You are right Keith and Phil, never knew what a CMP truck was until I visited central New South Wales. Once spotted I was hooked!

Cheers

Jacques Reed