Old 11-12-05, 08:33
M38CDN M37 M100 MJ TM

Default The SAR Halftrack

Engine photo
Attached Images

Old 04-06-06, 21:22

Default Swatty's Halftrack in scale

Gents,

Thanks to this thread, and especially thanks to Rob McCue, I was able to piece together a 1/35th replica of Swatty's halftrack for a commission piece by Northern Miniatures. I thought you guys might enjoy a picture of the end result.

cheers

Mark Stares
Attached Thumbnails
sar halftrack.jpg  
Old 02-02-07, 07:45
Sgt Ret'd

Hello All,

Does anyone have the actually photographs of the SAR ACV parked between the T-34 and the T-72 up at Garrison Edmonton that were on this website before?

I have the low res scans, but I am looking for a higher res copy if at all possible,

I think Al Nicholson may have posted them earlier, if you have them AL your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Rob
Old 02-02-07, 18:52
pkitson

My hats off to the people involved in the restoration of ACV. It is really encouraging to see reserve units doing their part to preserve the regiments history. Seeing the photos gives me some incentive to speed up my project. Again, congratulations on a well done restoration.

Perry
Old 28-11-16, 17:40

Default SAR Halftrack

Some photos of the SAR Halftrack over the past few years.
Attached Thumbnails
273.jpg   8618.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 01-12-16, 21:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert McCue View Post
Some photos of the SAR Halftrack over the past few years.
The two Veterans standing in front of the Halftrack on the bottom left photo are Sgt Ken Armstrong, The Regimental Intelligence Sgt, and to the right is Lt Hank Carrol, the Regimental Intelligence officer.

Both Gentleman worked in and around the Halftrack during the war.

Ken was the Co-driver and vehicle commander from Normandy all the way thru to the end of the war.

Hank Carrol was normally in the Regiments other CP halftrack, there 'Step Up" vehicle.

This photo was taken on the occasion of these Vets meeting for the first time in 64 years. We took them both for a ride in the halftrack that day.

Unfortunately both veterans have now passed on. Glad we could reunite them with their old CP before they were gone. The stories from that day were incredible.

The next photo to the right shows Sgt Ken Armstrong (right) and Tpr Eric Chaney (left).

Eric Chaney was an ambulance driver for C SQN SAR during the war.

Cheers,

Rob McCue
Old 03-12-16, 18:55

When I see stories like this and especially reuniting the vetrans with their vehicles and the poignant ties to actual world history, I realize why this pursuit can be both sobering and rewarding...few other "hobbies" can realize that same result...outstanding work to all involved with the SAR halftrack...and really to everyone who literally keeps history alive
Old 09-12-16, 22:15

Default More SAR Photos and Info

Good afternoon,

Thanks for the kind words John.

I have attached a photo and an excerpt from the SAR War Diary reference the markings used by the SAR, and a still from a Wartime video of the "elusive" rear of the Halftrack.

We were looking for this info during the restoration and have only recently found the answers we were looking for. It has been an amazing experience to dig and find out these little mysteries.

The Regimental Tactical Markings were to be marked in white according to the Standing Orders of the day for an Armoured Reconnaissance Regiment. The actual wartime photos of the halftrack showed the diamond of RHQ was painted in something other than white as it appeared a different shade then the Allied Star. We surmised that it may have been blue, as we had seen a training film of the SAR's with Ram Tanks with blue tactical markings. The war diary was able to provide the answer. The Regiment was directed to over wash the white with green paint to dull the conspicuous markings from observation and aiming.

I was also told by Sgt Ken Armstrong that the Halftrack was never painted Khaki and Black, he thinks it was painted in two tones with a Khaki and a Dark Green coloring.

4th Cdn Armoured Division standing orders in 1943/44 showed vehicles that were painted in disruptive camoflauge should be done in green and Black colors, so we followed the standing orders.

So it may require some additional painting to bring it back to its true form.

It looks like we finally have a view of how the chorehorses and signals wire was carried in purpose built racking. We will need to correct the back of the vehicle to match the wartime photos as well.

Even years after restoration we continue to learn more about the vehicle.

Cheers,

Rob McCue
Attached Thumbnails
SAR ACV Rear.jpg   SAR Veh Markings.jpg  
Attached Images

Last edited by Robert McCue; 09-12-16 at 22:29.