MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 31-05-11, 21:57

Default Carrier Steering column parts-help

Folks,
I am trying to restore my Mk1* carrier steering column and Gbx. I went to our local Bearing supplier today, and was told that the lower bearing found in the FUC-03 parts manual- p.188 illustration No.36A- large letter A - ( CO1 UC 100305) -Bearing ball-1x21/2x3/4 SKF RM8 - found on the lower part of the carrier steering column, is no longer made. It was discontinued in the early 60`s. Does anyone know of a substitue bearing (name/number) that will work, or where I might find a NOS bearing?
Any help with this would greatly be appreciated.
Doug
Old 01-06-11, 01:51

Default bearing

Hi Doug. I just finished putting bearings in my steering cam plate, and steering cam rollers last winter.In the manual FUC-03 on page 188 those cam bearings are part CO1UC 100302. The bearings I used were FAG 6305.2RSR.C3 bearings.I didnt take my steering apart, but would it be one size up from this bearing?
Old 01-06-11, 03:08
carrier mech

I went to a larger bearing place in Winnipeg in search of that bearing. They brought me one in from Toronto. It wasn't cheap: in the neighborhood of $80 if I recall. It is a self aligning bearing.I have heard that some guys have just put regular bearings in that location.

If you google skf rm8 bearing, you will find them stocked in several places globally. Quite a number of vendors in the UK seem to have them.

Last edited by rob love; 01-06-11 at 04:24.
Old 02-06-11, 21:55

Rob, Derrick,
Have been on the phone, and computer tracking down the RM8 bearing. I think I have one good lead, and hope to find a bearing by tommorrow.
Rob, the real big help was the info. on the bearing being a self aligning bearing. I may have gone witha RMS8 which is a single row ball bearing. It appears the bearing will mostlikely come out of the UK. I did find one in India though.
Derrick,
Am not sure if the bearing numbers would be close as this is not a common single ball bearing as I have indicated above.
I will provide more info. as I recieve it. This way others can benifit.
Doug
Old 04-06-11, 00:44

I was able to order the bearing in. It should be here in 2 weeks. Will get more details when it arrives.
Old 04-06-11, 17:17
carrier mech

I suppose that the reason for the self aligning bit is because the floor and the upper armour may not be aligned within tolerances for a regular bearing. So is your bearing coming from overseas, or did you find them in North America.

I remember back a few decades ago where if the part wasn't in the local guy's lists, you were pretty much done. Thank god for computers and google.
Old 05-06-11, 03:15

Rob,
Yes, Thanks to computers etc. the world is just that much smaller. I believe that the bearing is coming out of England.
I did find a RM8 bearing on E bay - England for 40#`s.
The only thing now is to sort out the steering gear box seals. Thanks to you it is now down to one to get the numbers for. Like I have stated, I will put the info. out there for others.
Take care, and Thanks for the help. Just one more piece of the puzzle figured out.
Old 05-06-11, 04:16
carrier mech

Here is a link to a pair of them for 20 pounds. At 10 a piece, even with shipping it would still be a bargain.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-RM8-SELF-ALI...item2eb5795b83
Old 06-06-11, 18:51

Rob,
I believe that they are now gone. Someone has been following the thread. Good.
Old 06-06-11, 19:08

No, they are still there!
Old 07-06-11, 15:42
patrick4264

Default SKF 1206 ETN9 for steering column.

Hllo,all,I've got the same problem to replace this self aligning bearing at the bottom if my U.C.N°3 MKIII but finally find one (I work as an electrician in auto parts factory in Belgium,and find one in our maintenance spare parts shop). here it is SKF 1206 ETN9 but if external diameter ok overall height ok
but internal diameter is too large,you must make or find a bushing to fit it perfectly.
here are the measurement of it : ID:25.3MM (.99 inche) E.D:30MM (1.175inches) overall height:14.85MM (.58inche)
This bearing is currently available for a very low cost at every bearing shop.
Hope this could help....
I wish You a nice day.
Good luck and good work for all of your projects.
Will be back soon.
Patrick from Liège,Belgium.