MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 02-04-15, 04:20

Default Strathcona's gift Leo tank to Spruce Meadows, Calgary Alberta

The LDSH (RC) has gifted a Leopard one tank to serve as a monument at Spruce Meadows in Calgary Alberta. The Strathcona's have had a long relationship with Spruce Meadows and the founders Ron and Marge Southern. For many years the Strat's mounted troop has put on exhibitions at Spruce Meadows and have trained with Riding Master Albert Kley. The monument tank is a tribute to the close relationship the regiment has had over the years. They have also named an active duty Leo 2 "Southern", in tribute to the Southern family. Very unique and honorable tribute to a Canadian institution.
Old 13-09-18, 04:09

UPDATE: Over three years later and they still have not received the monument tank at Spruce Meadows... with the death of Spruce Meadows founder and patriarch Ron Southern and the passing of esteemed riding master Albert Kley...it seems the regiment has had little enthusiasm for keeping their promises.
Original Calgary Herald Article:

"Praising the Southerns for running Spruce Meadows with both “military precision” and a focus on friendliness, Cameron Ross, major-general (retired) of the Lord Strathcona’s Horse regiment gifted the family with a decommissioned tank, for use as a monument to commemorate the special relationship Spruce Meadows has had with his regiment.

He also surprised them with the announcement that an active-duty Leopard 2 tank will be named Southern; as well, the new Mr. Ron Southern Award, he said, will annually honour the top rider of the Lord Strathcona’s Horse Mounted Troop."

FURTHER UPDATE: Sounds like the Regiment has done their best to fulfill their promises but has been stymied by red tape over end use and the final say of the German government, I stand corrected and apologize for jumping to other conclusions.

Last edited by jdmcm; 13-09-18 at 19:19. Reason: Correction
Old 13-09-18, 17:41
carrier mech

The leadership within units normally changes every 2 years. So what might have been the intent of a previous CO may not be a priority for a later one. There are also a dozen other reasons why the gift may have fallen through. ITAR, CTAT (yes, I realize the Leo is German and not US, but there may be components that could fall under US authority), CG registration, ownership, to name just a few.
Old 13-09-18, 19:15

That's a good point Rob, probably more at work here than meets the eye. Another friend of mine has mentioned that the regiment did do their best to follow through but so far have been bogged down in red tape regarding de-mill and final approval of foreign governments. More a case of offering something they had no idea if they could provide versus lack of desire to follow through. I stand corrected.
Old 14-09-18, 04:08
Anthony Sewards

UPDATE: From what I was told from the HVT troops is that a Centurion will be shipped down, instead of the Leopard 1.
The troop gained a spare Centurion Mk 5 from 1 CER, and this one might be th one being shipped down.

Anthony
Old 14-09-18, 05:59

Thanks Anthony, very much appreciate the update, I apologize for going off half cocked, should have asked the questions before I made my sweeping statements of disgust that I now regret. Apologies to the Regiment.

Sincerely
John