MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 05-05-03, 04:36
RIP

Default Sherbrooke Fusiliers Tank BOMB

I was down in the east end of Montreal on business on the pier Friday in the pouring rain with an associate from Toronto.Stopped by the gate guard Sherman at Longue Pointe Army base to see if the color of my model was somewhat the same color.Used dark sea green by Humbrol which parallels the color.Aside to Hanno,as soon as my company springs for a digital camera,I'll get photos plus serial on the gate guard.I'm also goimg to paint HANNO on my model C-15,but on the hood(fender is too small)Does anyone know if our Shermans had a star on each side?Gregg's photo of BOMB is after hostilities ended. when markings were painted out.I'm trying to be accurate here,but if I travel to Sherbrooke to see BOMB this summer ,she'll still not have her original markings as when she travelled throughtout her European tour.Any answers appreciated.
Old 14-05-03, 16:27
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: War Time Picture of BOMB

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball in Currie's tank - St. Lambert sur Dives]
Not wishing to stir the pot here....

Has anyone here ever seen any photos of BOMB actually in service? All I know of were taken after the war as per Gregg's book... it would be interesting to see the way it was kitted out (for action) before being stripped prior to shipping back to Canada....
Was looking for something else and came across this, a war time picture of BOMB, Holland late 44, early 45.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
\'bomb\'.jpg  
Old 14-06-03, 17:54
aut viam inveniam aut fac

Default BOMB photo

A photo of the restored BOMB is posted on the Convoy site "photo album" page.

http://www.geocities.com/convoymagazine

(also other pics in issue Convoy issue #10)

Colour is not WWII OD, but at least it's not NATO green.

Plaque on the side of the tank commemorates the 50th anniversary (1990) of the armoured corps and the 125th anniversary of the Sherbrooke Hussars.
Old 17-06-03, 17:58

Default Sherman Tank "Bomb"

The 1945-era markings should be applied soon. The Sherbrooke Hussars have been provided with full-size stencils of the Census Numbers, Bomb emblem and name for the sides, as well as stencils to make the unit serial sign and 2nd Armd Bde flash for the rear.

After cleaning and anti-rust coating, the tank was painted in NATO Forest Green, the same as that used on CF vehicles today. At some future date, the Sher H will repaint it in OD #33070.

Most Canadian Shermans had the side stars overpainted or not applied at all. Many carried the circled air recognition star on the top of the turret or engine deck. I have checked every photo that I could find of Bomb, but none show enough of the upper part to determine if it carried and air recognition star or not.

Gord Crossley
Old 18-06-03, 05:37
RIP

Default Thanks Gord!

Brian Gough just sent me a model of the Chev Fat.But the decal application doesn't show the RAF Roundel on the roof.I'm sure one of the guys on the thread pointed out that FAT's in Italy had a roundel & not a star on the cab roof.
Old 19-12-03, 21:25
RIP

Default Sherman Tank Bomb

Hi Guys,
Does anyone have a copy of "Green Fields Beyond" that you could copy onto a VHS tape and send to me.I'll pay you off line to my address for shipping snail mail plus the cost of the tape.Send me your E-Mail address for coordinating shipment/payment.

Merry Cristmas to all world wide CMP'ers
Old 24-12-03, 15:58
RIP

Default Archives

I had a copy on VHS but passed it on to Gord Crossley at the Fort Garry Horse. You can order this from the Archives. It is free of coyright. The following is a 'cut'n'paste' from their site;
Quote:
Fonds/collection: CANADA. DEPARTMENT OF NATIONAL DEFENCE / MINISTÈRE DE LA DÉFENSE NATIONALE
Item number (ISN): 193970
Title: Green Fields Beyond
Accession number: 1982-0246

Description:
Film about the Sherbrooke Fusiliers Regiment (27th Armoured Regiment) during the Second World War. In England, prior to D-Day, Troopers J.W. "Tiny" Hall of British Columbia; A.W. Alfred Rudolph of Clairsholm, Alberta; "Red" Fletcher of Timmins, Ontario; and Lance Corporal J.G. "Rudy" Moreau of Quebec, all of the Sherbrookes, receive their M4A4 Sherman tank (Serial No. T152656) and christen it "Bomb" at the Sun Inn pub. Sergeant Harold Frutter, the crew commander, takes their picture. "Bomb" is waterproofed. Other scenes show: their mascot (a dog named Fitz); loading equipment and embarking for sea assault; landing craft N1062 2441, 1415 and others; and personal effects (letters, pay books, memorabilia and valuables) collected for security reasons.
The Sherbrooke Fusiliers land at 10.30 on D-Day, 6 June 1944. Intensive activity at JUNO, the Canadian beach, includes film shot by Sergeant Bill Grant of the Canadian Film and Photographic Unit of the first wave landing at Bernieres-sur-Mer and Courseulles-sur-Mer. Footage includes naval activity. The swamped Sherman tanks possibly belong to the First Hussars. Units of the Third Canadian Infantry Division advance, fighting through to the streets of Carpiquet and Caen; Vickers machine gun; Fitz the dog digging a slit trench; a destroyed German 88-millimetre gun; Sherman tanks in action; and Lieutenant Paul Ayriss and Trooper Ken Jeroux joining the crew.
This is followed by footage of the Sherbrookes in the fighting at Falaise between 14 and 21 August 1944, and subsequent action. It shows: Sherman tank interiors; Bren light machine gunner; 5.5-inch gun/howitzer artillery; riflemen; street fighting and house clearing; German prisoners-of-war; and the promotion of Lieutenant J.W. Neill to troop commander. A map showing the Sherbrooke Fusiliers' line of advance through France, Belgium, and in the Netherlands, superimposed over actions and the commanding officer receiving a Distinguished Service Order from Field Marshal Bernard L. Montgomery.
During a lull in the fighting in the vicinity of Nijmegen, the troopers read and write letters, then continue and prepare for a night attack on Calcar, Germany (part of the fighting in the Hochwald 20 February to 4 March 1945). Footage includes: 25-pounder gun/howitzer night firing; tracer fire; prisoners of war; damaged town; and a Sherman bogged bogies and tracks. Lieutenant Neill receives the Military Cross. The new troop commander, Lieutenant Walter White of Nova Scotia, is wounded on 10 April 1945. A tank whips up swiftly to protect his body. Other footage shows: street fighting; infantry advance in file; Shermans; Bren-gun carriers; and a M5 Stuart tank. The liberated Dutch celebrate with Canadians at "Bomb" carries on to Emden where VE Day is announced in the Maple Leaf newspaper. "Bomb" is turned-in but arrives at the Port of Halifax with the disembarking troops.
Part: 1 of 1
English
Film
Production: 1945

Country of production:
cn
Creator: Production company:
Canadian Army Film and Photographic Unit
Production credit: music, Christian Darnton; conductor, Bill Frankel
Original number:
Consultation: open
Reproduction:
copyright expired : with credit to the Department of National Defence, Canadian Army Film and Photographic Unit

Notes:
1. Head missing.
2. CFPU Production Number 2090.
3. Sergeant Frutter was wounded on 8 July 1944.
4. Please credit Department of National Defence and Canadian Army Film and Photographic Unit.
5. Sherman M4A4 tank "Bomb" known as the only tank to have come through all the action from D-Day to VE Day, now stands as a monument on the Sherbrooke Parade Ground.
6. Source of description: viewing; Department of National Defence textual records at DND and National Archives of Canada and the regimental history, The Sherbrooke Regiment (12th Armoured Regiment) by H.M. Jackson.
7. Crown copyright over 50 years - copyright expired.

Consultation copy:
V1 8211-0030

Physical description

Source: DSINTRNL - 193970
Old 24-12-03, 19:04
RIP

Default Thanks Servicepub

Will follow up on the contact provided

Merry Christmas

Garry
Old 12-09-04, 02:13

Default Sherman "Bomb" (again...)

Hi guys,
I went to Sherbrooke ( 1 hour of driving from home) to take a series of pictures of Bomb and while i was walking around it , the sproket wheels draw my attention: they were not of the same type. Anybody have notice that before ? Was it something usual in the field? or maybe it has been set like that after it return in Canada for display??
Anyway here are some pics (if anybody is interested i took around 50 photos from all side so let me know...)

Old 12-09-04, 02:42

Hello Luc,

The drive sprocket on the right (middle photo) of “Bomb” is the earlier type, while the one on the left (top photo) is the later type. This may be the result of a repair job performed sometime during the service life of the tank. Also note that it has two types of road wheels; the earlier open spoke type and the later solid disc type.

John
Old 12-09-04, 16:35
RIP

Default After action Repair??

From memory on reading about "Bomb",I recall a photo of one of her commanders' grave,after he was killed in action in Normandy,on a previous thread??Any input??
Old 19-01-05, 22:15
MLU Administrator

Default Re: After action Repair??

Quote:
Originally posted by Garry Shipton
From memory on reading about "Bomb",I recall a photo of one of her commanders' grave,after he was killed in action in Normandy,on a previous thread??Any input??
Garry, see the article The Tank Commanders by Sandy MacDonald (reprinted From SUNDAY DAILY NEWS- Nov 11, 2001). One of the linked pages features a picture of the interim gravesite of Sgt Hubert F. Atkinson killed in action, Battle of Zutphen, Apr 6, 1945. Is this what you were looking for?

Cheers,
Hanno
Old 19-01-05, 22:56
RIP

Default Thanks Hanno

That's the site I was referring to.
Old 31-01-05, 23:08
MLU Administrator

Dana Nield has put photos up of Bomb on Quartermaster's Depot: http://www.quartermastersdepot.com
Look for "Gallery" under "Extras" on the main menu.
Old 01-02-05, 01:09
RIP

Default Re Bomb

Hanno,did what you said,but all that shows up is a heading "Sherman 111 01/05/2005-but no photo
Old 01-02-05, 19:40

Default Bomb Photos

Just click on the title text and it will take you to the photos.

The photos were taken by Dana in October of 2002 and were used to show the state of the tank at the time.

These photos and discussions on this forum prompted the current unit (The Sherbrooke Hussars) to undertake cleaning and painting of the tank.

In April of 2003 the unit was given full-size stencils for all markings and information on correct paint colours and suppliers of paint. Here is the text of the instructions sent at the time:

Enclosed are the full-size stencils for painting of the tank “Bomb” as promised at the Corps Conference in October. The size, style and positioning of the insignia are based on the photos enclosed and the views of the tank in the film “Green Fields Beyond”.

At least three different tanks were used to represent “Bomb” in the film, and the markings vary. I have based the stencils primarily on the photographs taken at the time the film was made.

The best procedure to apply the markings would be the traditional method using a stencil brush with a dabbing motion. There is less chance of paint runs and overspray if stenciled by hand.

The stencils are on waxed butcher paper and should stand up to 2-3 uses. You may wish to make “hard copies” of them on Bristol Board to preserve the style of the markings for future repaintings/restorations. New stencils can be made from the hard copies.

Some will note that these markings differ from those that were on the tank before the recent restoration. I have taken care to copy the markings as nearly as possible to those that appear in the 1945 photos and the film. The original numbers for the serial number were painted individually, and do not line up neatly. As well, the legend “BOMB” and the bomb symbol were altered in later repaints.

1. Base Colour:
a. Currently the tank is painted NATO Olive Green, the same as our in-service vehicles.
b. The correct colour for a Sherman tank in 1944-1945 is Lustreless Olive Drab #319. The paint is available in Canada from:

Willy Acres Inc.
R.R. #2 3224 Conc. 7
Oro Stn. ON
LOL 2E0
Tel: 705-835-5739
www.willysacres.com

The paint is listed for $65/gallon or $12/spray can. 3-4 gallons should cover the tank and the spray cans would be handy to have for touch-ups as needed.
c. The rubber on the 12 road wheels is painted flat or gloss black, or very dark gray.
d. The tracks can be painted dark gray or a rust-brown colour.

2. Left (drivers) Side:
a. Apply the full-size stencil without the bomb emblem to the appliqué armour plate and stencil the markings in matt white paint.
b. The legend “BOMB” can be traced out from the stencil in pencil, and then painted in by brush for a more authentic look. This is how it was done originally.
c. Optionally, you can also add the “SHERBROOKE FUSILIER REGT” stenciled letters at the top of the plate. This legend was added before the tank was shipped to Canada. I did not make a stencil for this, but you can cut out the letters on the paper sample enclosed and use it if you choose.

3. Right Side:
a. Apply the full-size stencil with the bomb emblem to the front appliqué armour plate and stencil the markings in white paint.
b. The legend “BOMB” and the bomb symbol can be pencil traced and painted on by brush for a more authentic look.
c. Optionally, you can also add the “SHERBROOKE FUSILIER REGT” stenciled letters at the top of the plate.

4. Right Rear of Hull:
a. Apply the 2nd Canadian Armoured Brigade flash in three layers. Spray paint is best here as the original was a cellulose decal.
b. First, the rectangle, to be semi or gloss black.
c. Second, the blue bar across the centre of the rectangle, to be royal blue
d. Third, the maple leaf, to be metallic gold.

5. Left Rear of Hull:
a. Apply the Unit Serial (53) flash in two layers.
b. First, the rectangle, in semi or gloss signal red
c. Second, the white bar and numbers in white. The original numbers were hand-painted.

6. Optional Markings:
a. On the top of the turret, the Allied Recognition Star could be added. There are no photos of the turret top of BOMB but most vehicles carried this insignia, and it adds colour to the vehicle. The stars and circles were hand-painted in white. The drawing below shows the position and design of the star.
b. D+365 marking. This was chalked on the right side between the appliqué armour plates on June 6th 1945. I t could bee applied with paint freehand if desired, based on the photo enclosed.
c. Unit serial, 2CAB flash and Bridge Classification circle. There is no evidence that “Bomb” ever carried these markings, though they were required by regulation. I have included an illustration to show where they were intended to be located.

I hope the above information will be of use to you in completing the restoration and ongoing maintenance of this important piece of Canadian history.

Thus far, the markings and final paint have not been applied. Perhaps this could be a volunteer task for MLU members in the area this spring/summer? It would be a nice touch for VE Day +60.

Cheers,

Gord
Old 20-01-07, 20:08
MLU Administrator

Personnel with the Sherman tank "Bomb" of the Sherbrooke Fusiliers Regiment, which landed in France on D-Day and continued in action through to VE-Day. Zutphen, Netherlands, 8 June 1945

The original members of the tank's crew who appear in the photo are Trooper A.W. Rudolph, Lance-Corporal R. Moreault and Trooper J.W. Hall.

Credit: Capt. Ken Bell / Canada. Dept. of National Defence / Library and Archives Canada / PA-188671
Attached Thumbnails
a188671-v6.jpg  
Old 20-01-07, 20:34
MLU Administrator

Sherbrooke Fusiliers crew with a Sherman tank, which landed in France on D-Day, Zutphen, Netherlands, 8 June 1945

Credit: Lieut. Ken Bell / Canada. Dept. of National Defence / Library and Archives Canada / PA-130490
Attached Thumbnails
a130490-v6.jpg  
Old 28-08-11, 16:53
MLU Administrator

Posted by Tony Viste in Sherbrooke Fusiliers "Bomb" over on the Missing-Lynx Allied DG:

Quote:
"BOMB" in Falaise August 26 2011, 8:01 PM

This is "BOMB" as it appeared in Falaise on 17 Aug 44. It shows many of its early features that were common to original issue SherFusR tanks

- Blue squadron sign infilled with a dark color on the rear turret storage box
- Large, light colored call sign
- Formation sign but no AoS sign
- 3 pieces of tubing welded on the hull sides
- Dark colored WD number and name on the side appliqué armor
- Allied star on the turret top

The blue squadron signs were probably also carried on the turret sides.

Note that the original number was 22. In July the Troops were reorganized, the Tp Cmdr gave up his Sherman Vc and took a Sherman III. During this reorganization "BOMB" got a new call sign of 21 and was a Tp Cmdr vehicle.

As for the appliqué armor, I don't believe the British/Canadian tanks received the same upgrades as the American tanks. Covering the ammunition bins was the extent of the upgrades.
Attached Thumbnails
115568_01.jpg  
Old 28-08-11, 19:54
Terry Warner

Default status update

Bomb is getting a fresh coat of paint over the rust and graffiti right now. She will be rededicated last weekend of September in a new location, safe from idiot separatists. Canadians will appreciate the significance of that epithet. I plan to attend the ceremonies in Sherbrooke - preaction calibration at the messes Friday night, hungover golf on Saturday, and church service at the regiment's home church on Sunday afternoon. Pictures and commentary to follow.

The SFR veterans would be pleased and amused at the amount of attention BOMB gets in certain circles. I hope there will be a few in attendance. With the forum's permission, I'll download, enlarge and mount a few of these photos to circulate amongst the attendees.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 28-08-11, 21:13
MLU Administrator

Terry,

That's great news! There are only few WW2 tanks with a known history left; good to hear BOMB is being taken care of so well.

Sure you can use the photos, they are in the public domain anyway.

Regards,
Hanno
Old 29-08-11, 23:24
aut viam inveniam aut fac

Bomb was "restored" so-to-speak just a few years ago ! What have the extremists done to it? ...(more proof they don't know their own history.or what is sometimes variously called- the truth..or facts)

There was a story and some photos in one of the Convoy magazines on the restoration...I dont have any with me.. but maybe someone with a copy can scan and post photos?

BTW if anyone wants back issues of Convoy.I still have some.$2ea plus postage
Old 23-09-11, 01:59
Terry Warner

Default Bomb has been delivered to 315 William St, Sherbrooke, Queb

Sherman tank Bomb has returned from the paint shop and Tender Loving Care. A 30-ton crane was hired to lift the tank about 10m up from street level to the new concrete plinth.

The paint job looks more authentic than the last several versions. The brass memorial plates are not yet installed. The rededication ceremonies will be Sun 25 Sep 11 1400hrs.

(I've probably got 30 shots that two different photographers posted on their Facebook pages.)
Attached Thumbnails
2011 new locn for Bomb 25.jpg   2011 new locn for Bomb 27.pg.jpg  

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1

Old 23-09-11, 15:20
MLU Administrator

Excellent!

Looking so shiny and new and somewhat dwarfed by the crane, it looks like a newly finished Matchbox kit before weathering

H.
Old 29-09-11, 04:02
Terry Warner

Default rededication

I wanted to report back that Bomb is now located at 315 William Street, Sherbrooke, Quebec. The plinth at Champs de Mars park is empty and the plaques reinstalled with the tank.

The CO of 202 Workshops was invited to speak about the job. He introduced two Master Warrant Officers and a Corporal who actually did the work. When I asked, "Who paid?" they all laughed. Apparently so many well-meaning but too highly placed people got in on the project that they made financing the equipment time and supplies late. Although the transmission turned freely and she rolled on the tracks when loaded on the flatbed the first time, the tracks are now locked. Making sure there were no undrained hydrocarbons was a big issue for any display project to proceed. (One MWO told me they are cycling the tanks at Longue Pointe Garrison through the shops, and a Centurion was found to be fully topped up. Good, but bad.)

In four years, the Sherbrooke Hussars will be 150 years old - or claim precedant back that far.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1

Old 15-11-12, 21:07
Terry Warner

Default Wikipedia updated

I just finished updating the Sherbrooke Hussars page on Wikipedia with details from this thread on names and identification.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1

Old 03-02-13, 04:58

Default BOMB Sherman type

I have done a lot of searching on BOMB and have come to the conclusion that it is a Sherman 111 or M4A2 not a M4A4 as is noted in many places. The census number T152656 was assigned to an M4A2. This info was found in two places. A clear pic of the rear of the tank would confirm this for sure. The M4A2 and the M4A4 are quite different.
If this has already been confirmed please let me know
Thanks
Mike Durand
Old 03-02-13, 08:36
MLU Administrator

Mike,

"Bomb" is a Sherman III (or M4A2). The main differentiator between the M4A4 and the rest of the Sherman tanks is the spacing between the bogies - see the attached picture.

HTH,
Hanno
Attached Thumbnails
m4a4side.jpg  
Old 03-02-13, 16:47

Default thanks for confirmation

I want to do a model of BOMB and the Wiki's I had read(and other places) identified her as an M4A4. I knew right away from the wheel spacing that it was't an A4 but what mark was it. They are all so similar from the front and there wasn't a clear pic of the rear. Somewhere I have a list,from Barry Beldam I believe, of what type Sherman was issued to each regiment. Looking for that listing I came across another list of WD numbers and what vehicle a block of numbers belonged to. So that was one source of my search. I then came across a list of Sherman survivors and found BOMB listed as a M4A2. That along with the wheel spacing finally convinced me.
I will be using the Dragon 1/72 scale kit to do my model.

Thanks again
Mike
Old 03-02-13, 21:51
Terry Warner

Default I will correct the Wikipedia page

Good detective work.
Attached Thumbnails
bomb9.jpg   bomb10.jpg   2011 new locn for Bomb 6.jpg  

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1