MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 20-12-05, 21:38
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

Sapper740 said: Of course, nothing has changed and the term GUNMAN continues to be the catchphrase of a very anti-gun media in Canada.

This is a back and forth thing, the sort of thing copy editors fret over endlessly, we prefer -man or -woman if the sex of the person is clear. I detest 'fisher', usually change it to angler is the story is about sport fishing - we usually use 'fisherman' if its about commercial fishery - 'fisher' is just so dumb and contrived sounding. Sometimes the length of the word makes a difference for a headline, as long as its accurate. I wrote gunman in a head the other day, later saw it was changed to 'shooter' which was OK by me, as the guy in the story had actually fired (this was the Gignac murder) - but believe me, if the shooter had been a woman, and I had had the space, it would have said 'gunwoman' (of course, the PC know-alls downstream of me would probably have changed that, too).

As for the Winnipeg gun seizure story - the nature and timing of it are still suspect - I wonder if the cops aren't carrying water for the Liberals on the gun issue. They made it seem as if all the guns were full function, thus making safe storage the issue - but if they are DEWAT, then a fraud has been perpetrated on the public. I'm going to point this out to Ms. King.

Anti-gun media? Generally speaking yes, more out of sheer ignorance than anything. We had one of our writers, a woman and avid hunter, write a nice little defence of sport shooting the week past.
Old 20-12-05, 21:40
carrier mech

Heres a new line for the liberal rebuttal to the gun control debate: "take your NRA , GUN LOVING ASS BACK TO THE U.S. WHERE YOU BELONG"

Email sent to the liberal campaign contact of Bonnie Brown, Liberal incumbent for the riding of Oakville, Ontario.
I want to thank your party for making it clear who I should be supporting in the upcoming election; in addition to the millions (if not billions) of dollars that your party has stolen from Canadians since 1993, Paul Martin's speech today makes it clear that your party's word isn't worth the breath it's spoken with. After work today, I signed up as a member of the Conservative Party of Canada, along with a $100 donation.
Stacey Cherwonak
Forensic Firearms Technologist-RCMP,
Sport Shooter, and
sick to death of you lying bastards"

And the response from one Elie Betitio, campaign chair of the Liberal campaign in the Oakville riding?

quote--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
take your NRA , GUN LOVING ASS BACK TO THE U.S. WHERE YOU BELONG, E. BETITO

Elie Betitio has since resigned as campaign chair for Ms Brown, but heres where it gets more interesting: The email address Mr. Betitio uses is ebetito@apotex.com, where he acts as a public spokesman.
Apotex is a huge company which produces things like generic drugs here in Canada.
I think this blurb off "small animals" blog kind of ties it together nicely:
"Given the corporate (drug friendly) policy coming from the standing committee on health, maybe we should be more concerned that the chair of the standing committee on health (Brown) has staff members from baby pharma (Apotex). I'm sure it is just coincidence that former minister of health (Rock)was an Apotex lawyer...hey just a sec! Isn't he now at the UN trying to get Canada to send generic AIDS drugs to Africa (with Steven Lewis). Gee, I wonder who will making them? I know as taxpayers we'll be paying for them via CIDA. No...the Libs could never be that cynical!"

Is it any wonder we don't trust liberals anymore?
Old 20-12-05, 21:47

Default Ahhhhhhh

Hmmmmmm should I take offence at that comment??
Patrick
Old 21-12-05, 04:06
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally posted by cmperry4

They made it seem as if all the guns were full function, thus making safe storage the issue - but if they are DEWAT, then a fraud has been perpetrated on the public. I'm going to point this out to Ms. King.

Perry
If he had a Sten and a Bren, they would fall under the prohibited guns categories 12.1 or 12.2 The FN (described incorrectly as a machine gun) rifle could be a 12.1, a 12.2 or a 12.5 prohibited gun. If the guy was issued a weapons ban back in 2002 then he could not be liscenced for these type firearms. He would be charged for having illegal possesion of unregistered prohibited firearms, not for unsafe storage. This alone should ring alarm bells that the guns they were touting as functional in fact were not.
I would strongly suggest a fraud has been perpetrated on the public, and at an individuals expense. I would love to see this become the story, as I believe this is a bigger story than the few historic non-functional relics that this guy had in his private collection.
Old 28-12-05, 00:04
Mr. HUP

Default If You Think Martin et cie are off-track...

then visit http://www.dumblaw.ca/#anchor and send a note to your MP. This is an interesting website with only one possible negative - your visit may be tracked by the Liberals and your NRA lovin' ass may be sent to the USA...

Ban the criminals (including Mr Martin etal) not the guns...
Old 28-12-05, 01:59
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally posted by rob love
"take your NRA , GUN LOVING ASS BACK TO THE U.S. WHERE YOU BELONG"

Hey, for once I'm ahead of the curve!
Old 28-12-05, 03:17
Mr. HUP

Default Typical...

The Americans (i.e. Sapper et al) are leading again...
Old 30-12-05, 15:14

This is in today’s news.

Pettigrew attacked in botched Montreal robbery

CTV.ca News Staff

Foreign Affairs Minister Pierre Pettigrew suffered injuries to his nose and mouth after being attacked outside a Montreal subway Wednesday night, according to reports.

In what is believed to have been a botched robbery attempt, Pettigrew was attacked while using his cellphone as he entered a west-end Montreal station, according to the French-language all-news channel LCN.

He didn't have his bodyguard with him at the time.

Pettigrew was aided by a 19-year-old man, and his phone was returned to him, LCN reported.

Pettigrew's office said the minister was not targeted. They also said it was not unusual for him to take the subway without bodyguards.

Frederick Estelle, 24, is scheduled to appear in court on Friday. He has been charged with aggravated assault, and underwent a psychiatric evaluation on Thursday.

Source:

http://sympaticomsn.ctv.ca/servlet/A...robbery_051230

Maybe the liberals will band the use of cell phones next or maybe they will band the use of the subway.
Old 30-12-05, 21:14
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

Default Pierre "Scabbers" Pettigrew mugged

This never would have happened in Paris, non?

And just where was that chauffeur/bodyguard anyway? - I thought those guys were inseparable.
Old 31-12-05, 03:10

Default new word

Well here's some new words from our NRA. Since
Scotland has been gun free ( 50 years now)
some Scotish cities have become some of the most
dangerious cities in the world..
Geoff it might nasty up there but would you prefer
100 degrees 290 days per year or polution that
that will give you nose bleeds. Or a single three bed-
room house for about 400,000 plus(US)
Patrick
Old 31-12-05, 07:21
Derek Heuring

Default Re: new word

Quote:
Originally posted by Ponysoldier
Well here's some new words from our NRA. Since
Scotland has been gun free ( 50 years now)
some Scotish cities have become some of the most
dangerious cities in the world..
Geoff it might nasty up there but would you prefer
100 degrees 290 days per year or polution that
that will give you nose bleeds. Or a single three bed-
room house for about 400,000 plus(US)
Patrick

Whoa Patrick! Sounds like you're describing California, which is about as close to average U.S. temp./air quality/house price as Quebec's voting record/police courtesy/attitude is to Canada! I live 1/2 north of Dallas in a very nice neighbourhood where I had a 4 bedroom brick home built 2 years ago for $175,000. The temp. was a very pleasant 20c. today and my new shoulder holster fits my .45 quite nicely.
Old 31-12-05, 09:24

Default Were?????? LOL

Derek
My mistake I should have said 290 days of 100+
degrees days. LA no, closer to you really Im in Phx.
Yes the housing prices are that high here, thats
for a tract home,no frills.
Mine is an IDPA speed holster for the hip,normally
mine is parked in the small of my back....he he he
Patrick
Old 31-12-05, 18:05
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Were?????? LOL

Quote:
Originally posted by Ponysoldier
Derek
My mistake I should have said 290 days of 100+
degrees days. LA no, closer to you really Im in Phx.
Yes the housing prices are that high here, thats
for a tract home,no frills.
Mine is an IDPA speed holster for the hip,normally
mine is parked in the small of my back....he he he
Patrick

....But it's a dry heat, right! LOL!

Ouch! I hadn't realized the Valley of the Sun had gotten that expensive! I have very dear friends that live in Scottsdale and I always knew prices were high there. I was considering a move a move to Chandler just prior to moving to Texas 4 years ago. I seem to remember prices were reasonable then.
Question: you have a couple of M.V. shows in Az., the Papago at the National Guard armoury and the S.W. Military Transport show in Mesa. They worth dragging my butt and maybe my CMP to Arizona? I need an excuse to see my buds again!

CHIMO!
Old 31-12-05, 19:30

Default Hey

Derek
Yeah its a dry heat but 122 degres is still 122 degrees.
The housing market here is out of control,in the 4 years
since you have been here the new home price has climbed
thru the roof even an existing home prices have more than
doubled.
Ah yes The armory on 52 street,shades of memories
spent many a year there,yes there is a museum there
I can check on both those for you.Drag yourself and that CMP
out here.
Did you know that very museum was also pow prison
for german sub crews during WWll.
I'll check those show out you pronto and get back to
you.
The latter show might be at an airshow with the Thunder-
birds or Blue Angels,with is two shows in one.
Patrick
Old 31-12-05, 19:44
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Patrick

I don't think I could take those temperatures.. warm and dry yes, but an Easy-Bake Oven? Dunno how you do it.

Re house prices, Toronto is insane as well. The price for a small, older semi-detached in certain areas here would buy you three larger, fully-detached houses in London, or a hundred acres (as long as the land was too far from Toronto to be within commuting distance. It's nuts... I dunno how most people here can afford it, except maybe by taking in boarders. A single person on a limited income cannot live comfortably here anymore.

Strictly speaking, that's not the gummint's fault, but it's been exacerbated by the demand created by over-population - which is the gummint's fault, allowing imgrunts to settle where they pleased. The people involved in the housing market, of course, love it. The rest of us are just pissed off.
Old 31-12-05, 20:45

Default housing etc etc

Geoff
Yes it gets hot here and dusty you have seen pictures
from Iraq and the dust storms there,well we have the
same thing here.
The heat can be a pain in a## true but days like
Christmas and today even make it worth while
Christmas the high was 77F and the low was 50F.
One of the real problems we have is travel,from
Chandler were Derek spoke of to the very northern
Part of our valley takes over an hour of highway time
at 75 mph I should say more like a hour and a half
The wage here is very low even for those who are
well trained.For the same job I did here (repairing
air conditioning units) I made 12.00 an hour, in
Michigan my cousin who does the same job makes
22.00 an hour.
Is this the goverments fault yes in a very big way,
they have made it so hard for industry to build here
that our economy is service based.. We also have
the very same con-artists to lead us as you guys
north of the border have
Patrick
Old 31-12-05, 21:30
M38A1 CDN3

Default Re: Re: Patrick

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
I don't think I could take those temperatures.. warm and dry yes, but an Easy-Bake Oven? Dunno how you do it.

Re house prices, Toronto is insane as well. The price for a small, older semi-detached in certain areas here would buy you three larger, fully-detached houses in London, or a hundred acres (as long as the land was too far from Toronto to be within commuting distance. It's nuts... I dunno how most people here can afford it, except maybe by taking in boarders. A single person on a limited income cannot live comfortably here anymore.

Strictly speaking, that's not the gummint's fault, but it's been exacerbated by the demand created by over-population - which is the gummint's fault, allowing imgrunts to settle where they pleased. The people involved in the housing market, of course, love it. The rest of us are just pissed off.
Sunray: Just why do you think that I live where I now do, if not for the reasons you stated?
Old 31-12-05, 21:45

Default Re: Re: Re: Patrick

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld
Sunray: Just why do you think that I live where I now do, if not for the reasons you stated?
Pronto: did I not also tell you at the time I was jealous of your ability to do so?

Old 11-01-06, 23:11
Mr. HUP

Default Soldiers? In our cities?

Another blast of Liberal organic matter has splattered the airwaves. The attack ad that maligns our soldiers warns Canadians about Mr. Harper's intent to send soldiers to our cities in times of crisis. This apprently is a terrible thing. "Soldiers, with guns? In our cities". The english ad was pulled, but sources tell me that they are still running the ad in the Quebec Republic.

Goes to show these Liberal knobs know nothing about our past or present when it comes to the military. Imagine their surprise when they find out about our militia - in our cities!

Voice your opinion on the Liberal Party's smear on the fine men and women who serve in our army. Email the Liberals by visiting their website:
http://www.liberal.ca/contact_e.aspx

Or use the more effective punishment of voting for anyone but the rotten, lying, corrupt, politically stupid Liberals.

23 January - get out there and do your democratic duty, and remember, if you really do love Canada, don't vote Liberal!
Old 12-01-06, 00:56

Default Re: Soldiers? In our cities?

I've been following this. It's the most incredible insult to Canadian troops past, present and future. My letter to the editor will be on its way tonight.

I AM DISGUSTED WITH THESE ASSHOLES.

I will copy my letter in this thread.

Kudos to Mike Duffy, though... he tore a strip a mile wide off a Librano lackey last night.

Quote:
Originally posted by RHClarke
Another blast of Liberal organic matter has splattered the airwaves. The attack ad that maligns our soldiers warns Canadians about Mr. Harper's intent to send soldiers to our cities in times of crisis. This apprently is a terrible thing. "Soldiers, with guns? In our cities". The english ad was pulled, but sources tell me that they are still running the ad in the Quebec Republic.

Goes to show these Liberal knobs know nothing about our past or present when it comes to the military. Imagine their surprise when they find out about our militia - in our cities!

Voice your opinion on the Liberal Party's smear on the fine men and women who serve in our army. Email the Liberals by visiting their website:
http://www.liberal.ca/contact_e.aspx

Or use the more effective punishment of voting for anyone but the rotten, lying, corrupt, politically stupid Liberals.

23 January - get out there and do your democratic duty, and remember, if you really do love Canada, don't vote Liberal!
Old 12-01-06, 03:05

Re: Liberals hit vicious new low

Dear Sir/Madame,

As a past reserve military officer, I feel I am obliged to take umbrage with the Liberal Party regarding their ad regarding their supposition that Stephen Harper would call armed Canadian soldiers into the streets of our cities to oppress the People.

Nothing could be more ludicrous or more insulting to our honourable military, much less an insult to Harper and the Conservative Party.

Every generation of my family has seen military service in defence of this country since the War of 1812; that the liberals would stoop to suggesting we the military would rise against the People of Canada is a grotesque insult to every Canadian who has ever worn the uniform. I work with veterans now, and I am ashamed on their behalf. Who do these people think they are? Their arrogance astounds me.

It is clear that the Liberal Party as it exists now has lost any respect it might have had towards the people of this country, if it ever had any to begin with. This is further exacerbated by their stated intention to delete the notwithstanding clause in the constitution - this would effectively turn Canada into a parliamentary dictatorship, under control of an appointed Supreme Court directed by the Prime Minister at his whim.

Between their disrespect for the Armed Forces, their disrespect for all who have shed their blood on our behalf (more than a fifth of our young men and women went overseas in WW2 alone) and their disrespect for the age-old traditions which made this great country what it is - these despicable people cannot be permitted to retain office. They have worn out their welcome.

Have they forgotten Vimy Ridge, Ortona, Juno Beach, Falaise, the Scheldt, the Rhineland, Korea and all our bloodsoaked "peacekeeping" operations since? Did our young men bleed for this?

I am furious.

Capt. Geoffrey Winnington-Ball
Toronto
Old 12-01-06, 03:17
Mr. HUP

Default Well Said.

Pro patria, pro liberis, pro aris atque focis suis certare.
Old 12-01-06, 05:32

Here, here, Geoff!!!
And thanks also for the link to contact the liberals..they have also heard from me.
Old 12-01-06, 05:56
M38A1 CDN3

Default Re: Well Said.

Quote:
Pro patria, pro liberis, pro aris atque focis suis certare.
Pro patria-understood

Pro liberis-understood

The rest, if I can loosely translate without reference-something like...I will defend my hearth and home.

Yes/No?
Old 12-01-06, 06:21
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Soldiers? In our cities?

Quote:
[B]Another blast of Liberal organic matter has splattered the airwaves. The attack ad that maligns our soldiers warns Canadians about Mr. Harper's intent to send soldiers to our cities in times of crisis.

rotten, lying, corrupt, politically stupid Liberals.
And just who the Hell was it that invoked the War Measures Act, suspended civil liberties, and sent Canadian troops into the streets during the October Crisis!??! F*****g Trudeau and his lickspittle sycophant, Chretien, then a junior cabinet minister of Indian Affairs and Northern Developement!
Old 12-01-06, 16:09
Vets Dottir

Default In the news:

Quote:

January 12, 2006
Soldiers are mad as hell
Want Liberals to apologize for ad gaffe
By DOUG BEAZLEY, EDMONTON SUN

Second World War veteran Peter Germaniuk poses for a photograph with an early photo of himself from when he was in the navy, at his Calmar home yesterday. (Walter Tychnowicz, SUN)

Serving soldiers and battle-hardened vets dropped a bomb on the Liberal election campaign yesterday, blasting an unaired attack ad suggesting Conservatives want to impose martial law on Canadian city streets.

"First thing I felt like doing when I saw (the ad) on the news was throwing up," said Peter Germaniuk, 81, a Second World War vet from Calmar.

"Then I felt like kicking the s--t out of someone. Whoever put that ad together is full of crap. The Liberals should apologize to the people of Canada for being so bloody stupid."

The ad, commissioned by the Liberal campaign but never aired, appeared on the party's website. The ad opens with a soundtrack of martial drumbeats and a blurry image of Conservative Leader Stephen Harper's face.

"Stephen Harper actually announced he wants to increase military presence in our cities," says the narrator.

"Canadian cities. Soldiers with guns. In our cities. In Canada. We did not make this up. Choose your Canada."

The Conservative platform actually calls for 100 regular troops and 400 reservists to be based in major Canadian cities as a hedge against emergencies such as natural disasters.

Locally, many military people interpreted the ads as an attack on the military itself.

"I am LIVID with RAGE," reads an e-mail from a soldier at the Edmonton Garrison, who asked not to be named.

"I am a soldier, living in a large population centre ... and I cannot believe the audacity of the Liberals who are suggesting that I am somehow going to be a 'THREAT' to that very city I live in with my own family!"

"It's ridiculous," said Miles Daigneault, 80, another Second World War vet.

He said the tone of the ad reminded him of Ottawa's imposition of martial law in Quebec during the 1970 FLQ crisis.

"Are they really saying the Conservatives would impose the War Measures Act?"

Edmonton Police Const. Shane Brennan, who served with the Canadian Forces in Afghanistan and was wounded in the 2002 friendly-fire incident, called the ad the "craziest thing" he'd seen in the campaign.

"I'm trying to keep a straight face here," he said.

"It's a complete fantasy. Looks to me like (the Liberals) are getting desperate."

The controversy derailed a planned Liberal platform launch at the campaign office of Deputy Prime Minister Anne McLellan.

Instead of questions about the platform, McLellan found herself hammered by the press over the ad.

"That ad was not intended to run. It was not approved by the prime minister," she said. "It was not intended as a comment on our outstanding armed forces."

But McLellan did point out that the Conservatives were the first to go negative in the campaign.

She cited a mailout authorized by her Conservative challenger Laurie Hawn, which accused the Liberals of distributing envelopes full of cash to their friends.
Old 12-01-06, 19:20

This picture says it all....

Old 12-01-06, 19:42
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
This picture says it all....

RIGHT ON SOLDIERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-01-06, 21:31
Mr. HUP

Default Re: Re: Well Said.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld
Pro patria-understood. Pro liberis-understood.
The rest, if I can loosely translate without reference-something like...I will defend my hearth and home. Yes/No?
Jon, you are very close "... For the country, for freedom, for house and hearth is our fight..."

If the Liberals steal this election (or Ontario falls for its guff), we may have to fight for house and hearth, given PM PM's distain for the right of personal property...
Old 12-01-06, 21:36
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Liberal voters

There seems to be a slight disapproval of the liberal party in the forum... I was wondering whether someone could profile a 'typical' liberal voter for us non-Canucks - demographic - appearance - preferences (a dislike of wusty old twucks, perhaps) - you know the sort of thing - it appears the standard anti-liberal profile is to drive a CMP!

In fact the impression I have of a typical Canadian Liberal voter is someone rather effemenite who when they're not out hugging trees is protesting against the war-like nature of our CMPs!

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern