MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 28-07-03, 14:49

Default Wireless Van Body & Winch Rollers/Cable

I have two questions today and any help would be appreciated.

A) I stumbled across a wireless van body for 15cwt in a scrapyard on Saturday afternoon. It is all intact and in extremely good shape. It does needs some TLC inside but the body is excellent and original, including the paint, railings, canvas, markings etc. What would be a fair price for such a unit? It is the same unit as depicted in Geoff's 15cwt page with the spare tire located in the side of the van body. It's located in Ontario, Canada, near Oshawa. Also if I decide not to pursue this would anyone else be interested?

B) Winch cables, rollers, and guides - Was it protocol for the winch cable to always run to the rear rollers and then to the front (when winching from the front)? Also was the cable directed through the guides (curly cues) mounted to the frame? I have seen a picture in a manual of a set of rollers underneath the cab next to the passengers step. I more or less would like to know the proper cable routing and what accessories were used.

Thank you.

Old 28-07-03, 15:11
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Default Wireless Body

If you were not interested, I would be. Pricing on a unit such as that would depend on condition, what's ther or not there etc. I paid $300 for one that is basically intact but needs a floor and many of the missing parts. Find out what kind of $ the owners talking about. Thanks!
Old 28-07-03, 15:25

Default Pricing

Thanks for your response Chris. The unit is all intact. There are currently some storm windows stored inside so I couldn't get a good look at the floor but I would say this one rates a 9 out of 10. I think the owner would probably take any offer as it appears as if it has been in the same location since it was taken off the truck. I'm sure a $100 offer would be accepted. I purchased some other items from the gentleman and his pricing was more than fair. If I decide not to pursue this you can have first chance at it. I'll follow up with him next time I am in the area and will keep you posted.
Old 28-07-03, 15:41
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Pricing

Quote:
Originally posted by S. Dafoe
...rates a 9 out of 10 ... I'm sure a $100 offer would be accepted.
Chris,

Please save it - buy it now! If not for yourself, there must be someone else to take it off your hands later. If you wait too long you might find out that "it's just been scrapped last week".

Hanno
Old 28-07-03, 23:35
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Exclamation GIT IT!

Hanno's right... if it's anything close to how Mr. Dafoe described it, BUY IT! RIGHT AWAY!

Someone, somewhere, will take it, and it will have been saved.

Hell, Jon damned near grew up in one...
Old 29-07-03, 00:49
M38A1 CDN3

Default Re: GIT IT!

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Hanno's right... if it's anything close to how Mr. Dafoe described it, BUY IT! RIGHT AWAY!

Someone, somewhere, will take it, and it will have been saved.

Hell, Jon damned near grew up in one...
My baptismal font was the condenser on the C15 left wing.
Old 29-07-03, 02:15
Old Sigs Type

I was at the Communications and Electronics Museum in Kingston today. And, lo and behold, they have new display up - parked next to a 1954 deuce-and-half line truck. It was a beautifully restored 15CWT radio van with a complete WS No. 19 Mk III. It also had a Johnson Chorehorse in its allocated spot (in a compartment behind the right-rear wheel). Unfortunately, there's no photo of the vehicle on their website and I don't have a digital camera. Next time I'm there, I'll get some photos of it, scan them and post them here.
Old 29-07-03, 08:09
M38A1 CDN3

Default 2 1/2 T Line Truck

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank Misztal
I was at the Communications and Electronics Museum in Kingston today. And, lo and behold, they have new display up - parked next to a 1954 deuce-and-half line truck. It was a beautifully restored 15CWT radio van with a complete WS No. 19 Mk III. It also had a Johnson Chorehorse in its allocated spot (in a compartment behind the right-rear wheel). Unfortunately, there's no photo of the vehicle on their website and I don't have a digital camera. Next time I'm there, I'll get some photos of it, scan them and post them here.
Is that vehicle an auger truck, which would have been used at higher formations for augering holes into which telephone poles would be inserted?
Old 29-07-03, 13:58
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Default Wireless

Don't worry fellas, if S. dafoe isn't interested I'll definitely take it as I'm trying to put together a "gin palace" of my very own. Keep me posted!
Old 30-07-03, 00:23

Default Wireless Van

Thanks for the responses gentlemen. I did express an interest to the gentleman who owned it and I can assure you that it will not be scrapped anytime soon. The gentleman has quite a collection and when I say scrapyard I meant more of a personal collection of scrap over the years. I believe the truck that this was removed from was used for a wrecker for many years and was then used in a nearby wrecking yard. I believe it was unfortunately scrapped recently. I'll try to take some pictures of the van body next time I am there. Between now and then I will decide if I will have a use for it or if to send Chris for a viewing. Either way we will make sure that it is saved.

Stew

PS - Anyone have any responses to my questions on the winch cable routing?
Old 30-07-03, 01:17
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Re: Wireless Van

Quote:
Originally posted by S. Dafoe
PS - Anyone have any responses to my questions on the winch cable routing?
Yes, the winch cable always ran via the flat rollers at the rear to fairleads on the front or rear, or that is until someone modified the setup post war for a jib crane or other purpose.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 30-07-03, 05:19
Old Sigs Type

Default Re: 2 1/2 T Line Truck

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld
Is that vehicle an auger truck, which would have been used at higher formations for augering holes into which telephone poles would be inserted?
Yes, it is.