MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 10-12-06, 23:51
"Sid and Errol's Dad"

Post Count us in...

Well Karmen,
My family will be at Corowa, and if you would like to check out the flat wheat belt country, you are certainly welcome to come back with us here at Ganmain. Maybe a stop point between Corowa & Yass (We are about half way).
Looking foward to meeting you one way or the other.
Cheers
Howard, Jo & Kids
also
Tony (and "Cleveland")
F15 #12
F15A #13 (stretched)
F60S #13
C15A #13 Wireless (incomplete)
Old 11-12-06, 00:46
Vets Dottir

Default Re: The Trip

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Moseley
Hi Kartmann and Co-conspirators

Firstly Kartmann - relax, enjoy the ride, post your preparations and count the sleeps.

Aussies - as a matter of logistics may I suggest that Kartmann arrives in Adelaide and stays with Ada and I first. We can then transport her east to Corowa and to hook up with rest of you.

Bob
Yes, SIR. Right now, SIR.

I'll passively-acceptingly let all of you MLU-ers all sort out everything and will simply FALL IN with active-acceptance, in other words, I'll go with the flow and won't try to stop or control it, will just ride the MLU EXPRESS moving Kartmann along on the ride of her life! and I would DEARLY love to meet You and Ada if that can be done ... will you have your friends visiting so that I can meet them as well (the blackbirds alive and out of the pie) ? I'd be more than delighted, hope, to visit you and Ada!!!

Of course you all know I've been thinking about what fun that whole thread is about Zemsis experience over there. I loved following along on the journey via my computer ... it was great fun, and a fun type that I never thought I would be doing, not in my lifetime.

Yes, Uncle Eddie is tickled pink and happy at how his little neice is being treated here

On to next reply ....
Old 11-12-06, 00:48
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: The Trip

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb
Sounds good, Bob. You have a fantastic place for her to recuperate too. Just make sure you don't wear her out before she gets to Corowa. I suppose you could always transport her in your CMP ambulance.
Stretcher for one Ma Yappy please. Uh, make the medic a WW2 uniformed one ... RUPERT, we might need you to deploy to Australia as a medic
Old 11-12-06, 00:57
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Count us in...

Quote:
Originally posted by Howard
Well Karmen,
My family will be at Corowa, and if you would like to check out the flat wheat belt country, you are certainly welcome to come back with us here at Ganmain. Maybe a stop point between Corowa & Yass (We are about half way).
Looking foward to meeting you one way or the other.
Cheers
Howard, Jo & Kids
also
Tony (and "Cleveland")
Awesome invitation, Howard, Jo and Kids ... I will fallin, as mentioned, to any plans the MLU EXPRESS LINE and ROUTE delivers ... I would love to visit and meet you, at your place, or at Corowa, whatever can happen. I guess it all depends what arrangements with bookings and costs can be sorted out, which I have no part in so don't know "the plan"

This is SO astounding ... I wish we had a "Carrie" smilie of a little spinning head. That would certainly show what its like to be me right now.

Actually, our Master Sunray is also spinning-headed by this whole MLU force thats happening. He REALLY IS as stunned as I am, and just as happy, delighted! His MLU, it's people, work magic as an incredible force for good. MLU and its members are PRECIOUS.

Old 11-12-06, 02:01
"Sid and Errol's Dad"

Post Ganmain visit

Karmen,
Forgot to mention. Ganmain is only 40 minutes from the Temora Aviation Museum
Maybe after visiting Ganmain you can continue your journey from Temora onward to.... Yass??
HH
F15 #12
F15A #13 (stretched)
F60S #13
Old 11-12-06, 02:05
Pops

Bob it looks like it's all coming together for the great karman Aussie adventure, Adelaide looks like a good point to start and get her into the swings of things gently before she meets the rest of the tribe you being the true gentleman that you are.

Max
Old 11-12-06, 05:22
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Ganmain visit

Quote:
Originally posted by Howard
Karmen,
Forgot to mention. Ganmain is only 40 minutes from the Temora Aviation Museum
Maybe after visiting Ganmain you can continue your journey from Temora onward to.... Yass??
HH
Hi Howard,

I'd love to visit with you if that can be done. And no doubt, a trip to the Museum I would not say no to!!! Isn't that where they have a lot of the old warbirds? I'd want to fly in one too Well, to actually see inside of one and maybe even be lucky enough to sit in it would really make my day.

Keefy, you wouldn't happen to have any little flying gigs happening when I'll be there would ya? (Can't blame a girl for trying, right?

There aren't any specific dates and places set yet ... itinerary unsure/unknown so far, but I did pass on what dates I can leave here, and when I would have to be back. The soonest and latest dates, so the visit will be whatever time span is booked for getting to Auatralia then home again. Everything in between is being sorted out, including possibilities of who I would visit and where.

FEB 25 is the soonest I could leave. Or anytime after that. Sounds like MARCH will be when that will happen, but I'm flexible to whatever the ones organizing this, works out, from FEB 25 and onward.

MARCH 31st is the latest date that I need to be home here again. Coming home sooner works too. I have all the flexability required to wiggle dates, but not home HERE any later than March 31.

Karmen
Old 11-12-06, 05:36
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Aviation Museum

Quote:
I'd love to visit with you if that can be done. And no doubt, a trip to the Museum I would not say no to!!! Isn't that where they have a lot of the old warbirds? I'd want to fly in one too Well, to actually see inside of one and maybe even be lucky enough to sit in it would really make my day.
Yep, Temora's where it's all at for some of the best of Aussie Warbirds. Unfortunately they don't have a flying weekend in March but if I can wangle it to be there then you'll certainly get to sit in one!

This is the place, yeah baby!
Attached Thumbnails
k_webb_tam_xvi_14sep06_015.jpg  

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 11-12-06, 06:18
RIP

Default Corowa

Hi all

Firstly, Corowa starts on Monday 12 March 2007 but we normally travel over on the Wednesday. I think we will re-schedule and travel earlier to give you plenty of meeting time. Try and get to Adelaide early and that will give you some R&R (Rest & Recreation) time in Adelaide. It is a pity though that you have to be back by the 31st, give this some thought as this is a big country and you have a lot of meeting, greeting, seeing and travelling to do.

Secondly, travel light because I'm sure you will be travelling heavy back. All you really need is a toothbrush and a change of nickers. We have shops here. Seriously though you don't need to bring a whole wardrobe.

Thirdly, I hereby rename Corowa 2007 as:

THE YEAR OF THE KARTMANN
Old 11-12-06, 06:34
RIP

Default Message to Jif

Hi Jif

So much has happened over the last short period and only now have I had time to review all the posts. The most important bit I missed was that you may be coming as well. SIR YOU ARE COMING and we have more than enough room (and booze and Vegimite) to keep you happy.

Bob
Old 11-12-06, 06:41
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Aviation Museum

Quote:
Yep, Temora's where it's all at for some of the best of Aussie Warbirds. Unfortunately they don't have a flying weekend in March but if I can wangle it to be there then you'll certainly get to sit in one!

This is the place, yeah baby!
Awesome. That would be such a treat, and way more than I expect or hope for. It would be wonderful to see you there and I'm sure you'd fill my ears with all kinds of stories and information about the Old Bird I know that this whole "trip" is going to be an ncredible learning experience for me, all round, about all sorts of things!

I finally was able to talk to my youngest kid and she is SO stoked for me. Well, AFTER she pumped me when she knew I'd be meeting some strangers way far off in other countries who I had never met before, etc, etc, etc ... I reassured her through telling her a LOT about MLU, Geoff she's already met and really liked and enjoyed, all of you members, bits of history and a briefing on some of you that I've met yada yada yada ... plus read her a few of the email/PM/forum messages and end result? She's very happy and excited for me.

Keefy, she was suitably impressed when I told her what you did for a living ... especially about hanging out of old planes and filming/snapping away.

By the way, she especially like Bob's comment (in the following post) about me just bringing my toothbrush and "knickers" and totally cracked up for about 5 minutes of laughter She's blown away by all of you people and what you are ding for her "Mommy" ... and also great news, her computer (she's never had one at home) is being delivered tomorrow and she will be connected to the net, so I'll be able to keep her posted through emails and photos while I'm over there, computer access willing ...

Well ... enuf babble for this one ... on to the next reply

Karmen
Old 11-12-06, 06:45
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Message to Jif

Quote:
Hi Jif

So much has happened over the last short period and only now have I had time to review all the posts. The most important bit I missed was that you may be coming as well. SIR YOU ARE COMING and we have more than enough room (and booze and Vegimite) to keep you happy.

Bob
WELL SIR, I DO DECLARE ... ROCK AND ROLL ON ... what a blast this is going to be if Sunray is there as well! MLU itself!

(Bob and you all MLU-ers, ya really gotta stop makin' the Sunray cry like that, ya know. Do remember, I WILL be bringing my frying pan and no amount of kindness and gifts, nor promises, can prevent me using it when I see it's necessary ... I do declare )

Old 11-12-06, 06:59
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Corowa

Quote:
Hi all

Firstly, Corowa starts on Monday 12 March 2007 but we normally travel over on the Wednesday. I think we will re-schedule and travel earlier to give you plenty of meeting time. Try and get to Adelaide early and that will give you some R&R (Rest & Recreation) time in Adelaide. It is a pity though that you have to be back by the 31st, give this some thought as this is a big country and you have a lot of meeting, greeting, seeing and travelling to do.

Secondly, travel light because I'm sure you will be travelling heavy back. All you really need is a toothbrush and a change of nickers. We have shops here. Seriously though you don't need to bring a whole wardrobe.

THE YEAR OF THE KARTMANN

THE YEAR OF THE KARTMANN

I'll to THAT! I love it, of course.

First part ... regards extending the visit. I need to think on this as it could technically be a serious problem to be absent more than ONE month. (See your PM's for an explanation, Bob) but if I can work it so's its not a problem I will. Gotta think on this at least overnight. In a heartbeat I'd immediately say yes of course

I don't have much of a wardrobe anyways, but I'm not one of those people who travel with a gazillion changes of clothes anyways. I don't really have anything "dressy" for any high-falutin socializin' but as far as casual looks okay goes, I'm good to go I will bring my knickers. And my toothbrushES (one for my real teeth, one for my fakes ... (too much information?)

Okay, off to PM you now ... will copy to Max and Geoff and if anyone else needs to know, ask me or one of them

Kartmann
Old 11-12-06, 07:01
RIP

Default Oh My Gawd!!

Quote:
and also great news, her computer (she's never had one at home) is being delivered tomorrow and she will be connected to the net, so I'll be able to keep her posted through emails and photos while I'm over there, computer access willing ...
Does this mean we'll have a "Miss Yappy" as well as a "Ma Yappy" on the forum. Jif you had better get another server to cope with this.

Bob
Old 11-12-06, 07:04
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Oh My Gawd!!

Quote:
Does this mean we'll have a "Miss Yappy" as well as a "Ma Yappy" on the forum. Jif you had better get another server to cope with this.

Bob
Ya never know
Old 11-12-06, 07:46

Quote:
Hi Jif

Bob
you forgot to mention the Tim Tams Bob!
Old 11-12-06, 18:10
Vets Dottir

Passport stuff. I've never applied for one before, so all this is new to me. Something new every day, hey? Especially lately!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I've been on phone this morning and ended up calling the Airport (Air Canada / Jazz) after not getting anything but voicemail "sorry, busy, leave a message" for the local Access Center. Lady at Air Canada said there is no Passport service center here (though one in Vancouver and Calgary) and verified I can pick up an application at Post Office (as Geoff mentioned) and then I complete it and send that, notorized, to Ottawa with the photos. I have no idea how long they take to process and send me the passport ... anyone else have any ideas how long?

Canadian Passports Requirements and fees here: http://www.ppt.gc.ca/can/index.aspx?lang=e

Will find where to have photos done and find the local Notary Public today, as well.

Now ... time to check mail again, and answer some PM's

Karmen
Old 11-12-06, 18:32
Matt

Default Re: Corowa

Quote:
Hi all

THE YEAR OF THE KARTMANN
A woman traveling without at least one whole wardrobe-That'll be the day
Old 11-12-06, 19:14
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Corowa

Quote:
Originally posted by dougiebarder
A woman traveling without at least one whole wardrobe-That'll be the day
Trust me on this one Dougie-You, I ain't no clothes horse, but don't get me wrong, cut me loose in a place of quality made clothing with me wee bittie fists full of money and I'd probably outshop the best of them, and totally enjoy playing at clotheshorse

ACTUALLY ... speaking of clothing, Australia season for March would be??? Beginning of Autumn someone mentioned to me? What would be the normal temps and normal attire needed for that time of year there? I take it my MukLuks and Buffalo Fur parka won't be necessary

Thanks,

Karmen
Old 11-12-06, 19:29
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Weather

You can expect blue skies, low humidity and temps ranging from mid 20s to low 30s. This is generally a very stable time of year for the weather.
Overnight it can get a bit cooler though... say down to low teens.

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 11-12-06, 19:52
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Weather

Quote:
You can expect blue skies, low humidity and temps ranging from mid 20s to low 30s. This is generally a very stable time of year for the weather.
Overnight it can get a bit cooler though... say down to low teens.
Thanks Keith ... so still summer weather, therefore summer attire. I'd be leaving parka and mittens weather to arrive to summer heaven Low 30's is hot. Good for my RA

You folks realize that the timing of this visit for this corner of the world is excellent relief from long-drawn-out winters here. I think it only starts to warm up around end of May here. I can't remember ... I arrived here Feb 4th last year to those ice caps and bitter cold winds and snow and forget when it warmed up, but it does seem that wasn't very long ago Yes ... Australia for March is a HUGE help in getting through winter and being ready for Spring to spring here ...

Ma Yappy G'day Karmen
Old 11-12-06, 22:16
"Sid and Errol's Dad"

Quote:
Hi Jif

Bob
Here Here!
I'll start looking for a couple of good camels for the afore-mentioned stew!
HH
F15 #12
F15A #13 (stretched)
F60S #13
Old 11-12-06, 22:34
RIP

Default Camel Stew

Hi Howard

I meant to reply to that recipe post earlier. I've seen many whacky recipies but that by far and away is the best. Absolutely brilliant. Definitely needs to be a dinner menu for one of the Corowa nights.

Bob
Old 11-12-06, 23:36
Pops

Karman we recieved your message about the length of time you can stay for, we will start putting a time table together for you and see what we come up with
Max
Old 12-12-06, 00:26
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Max Hedges
Karman we recieved your message about the length of time you can stay for, we will start putting a time table together for you and see what we come up with
Max
Awesome Max I really wish I could extend that, but you know the reasons why not, which I won't go into in the forum I apologize to any and all who wanted me there longer if this means I won't be able to see/meet some of you ...

Now ... PASSPORT .... IMPORTANT ... I talked to a local Notary Public and was told they would NOT verify me as they would have to know me personally for 2 (or was it 3?) years first. I need what they call a GAURANTOR ... anyone who knows me personally for at LEAST 2 YEARS in Canada and fits the category to qualify as a guarantor will work. I have to get the photos, fill out the app's and send to gaurantor to sign/etc then send to OTTAWA for processing.

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/can/guarantor.aspx?lang=e

Applying for a passport
Guarantor
The guarantor must complete and sign the "Declaration of Guarantor" section of the application form and be able to confirm your identity. In the case of a child, the guarantor must have known the applicant (parent or legal guardian) personally for at least two years and have knowledge of the child.

Duties of a guarantor
Your guarantor must perform the following tasks free of charge:

Certify the information on the application form by completing and signing the "Declaration of Guarantor" section.
Write on the back of one of your or your child's photos, "I certify this to be a true likeness of (either your name or your child's name)" and sign.
If applicable, sign and date the photocopy of your supplementary documentation.
Eligible guarantors
Your guarantor must:

I need to find out how long this will take to process ... am thinking about how many people are probably applying right now in time for Jan 2007 ...

Karmen

Be a Canadian citizen residing in Canada and must be accessible to Passport Canada for verification.
Have known you personally for at least two years.
Be one of the following:
Chiropractor
Dentist
Geoscientist
Judge
Lawyer (member of a provincial bar association), notary in Quebec
Magistrate
Mayor
Medical doctor
Minister of religion authorized under provincial law to perform marriages
Notary public
Optometrist
Pharmacist
Police officer (municipal, provincial or RCMP)
Postmaster
Principal of a primary or secondary school
Professional accountant (APA, CA, CGA, CMA, PA, RPA)
Professional engineer (P.Eng., Eng. in Quebec)
Senior administrator in a community college (includes CEGEPs)
Senior administrator or teacher in a university
Veterinarian
Retired guarantors are not eligible unless the guarantor's name still appears on the listing provided to Passport Canada by the relevant association.

A relative may act as a guarantor for passport purposes provided he or she meets the specified requirements.
Old 12-12-06, 00:44
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Red tape

And I thought we had bad red tape here... that's BS!

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 12-12-06, 00:59
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Red tape

Quote:
And I thought we had bad red tape here... that's BS!
PITA ... for sure

Karmen
Old 12-12-06, 01:21
Vets Dottir

More passport info. I figured that posting this stuff in here for us Canadians is good anyways, as so many will need a Passport to go to the States come January, and will appreciate finding the links here!!! My daughter will need one to visit her Dad and other USA relatives as she doesn't have dual citizenship ... yet ...

The links below are about applying, what you need to submit and how, and states some processing timeframes. More links on those pages will access all of their site and info, of course

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/can/submit.aspx?lang=e

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/can/supporting_id.aspx?lang=e

Old 12-12-06, 02:28
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Passports

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
More passport info. I figured that posting this stuff in here for us Canadians is good anyways, as so many will need a Passport to go to the States come January
Not to mention Corowa come March.

Anyone else tempted?

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 12-12-06, 04:11
"Sid and Errol's Dad"

Default Re: Camel Stew

Quote:
Hi Howard

I meant to reply to that recipe post earlier. I've seen many whacky recipies but that by far and away is the best. Absolutely brilliant. Definitely needs to be a dinner menu for one of the Corowa nights.

Bob
I'll cook Saturday night, then...
In the meanwhile, try this...

Tequila Christmas Cookies

1 cup of water
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup of sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 cup of brown sugar
1 tbsp. of lemon juice
4 large eggs
1 cup of nuts
2 cups of dried fruit
1 bottle of tequila

Sample the tequila in a large glass to check quality.

Take a large bowl, and check the tequila again, to be sure it is of the highest quality. Pour one level cup and drink.

Turn on the electric mixer. Beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl. add one teaspoon of sugar. Beat again.

At this point, it's best to make sure the tequila is still ok, so try another cup.

Turn off the mixerer thingy.

Break 2 leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit. Pick the frigging fruit and the cup off the floor.

Mix on the turnerer.If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaterers, just pry it loose with a drewscriver.
Sample the tequila to check for tonsisticity.
Next, sift two cups of salt, or something. Check the tequila.
Now shift the lemon juice and strain your nuts.
Add one table.
Add a spoon of sugar, or somefink. Whatever you can find.
Greash the oven.
Turn the cake tin 360 degrees and try not to fall over.
Don't forget to beat off the turner.
Put the bowl through the window, finish off the booze and make sure to put the dirty stove in the dishwasher.
F15 #12
F15A #13 (stretched)
F60S #13