MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 02-12-12, 06:06
Shop Dog

Default Paint

Well its confirmed..50/50 mix of black and cat yellow make a very nice olive drab.i'll have to see it under sunlight when its dry but it looks to me to be very close to an unfaded early WWII lusterless OD.
too bad its pissing rain here..or id be out there with the d/a making dust so i could be ready to blow a cup on something substantial to gauge it for real.

I'll post some pics as soon as i can
Old 18-12-12, 18:44
Vlad Ganshin

I made research about OD when started my resto project, asked also on here. By the way I found too interesting and valuable info in the artical "The history of Olive Drab". You can probably find it when Googling. I met some parts of my 1945 vehicle with original non-exposioned paint on and took it as a base. All the written in that artical corrilates with my sample very good.
Old 18-12-12, 20:01

Corey,

Is it "New Cat Yellow" or "Original Cat Yellow" ? They sell both here & there is a definite difference.
Thank you
Old 18-12-12, 20:56
Shop Dog

Default home made olive drab

Ive been using a product called Zero-Rust in all my restoration work for a few years now.im not affiliated with them in any way.but it is hands down the best paint Ive ever sprayed.
as a test for a customer im doing a 77 bronco for i wire wheeled the chassis down to tight rust.then blew on three coats of the Z-R black..then we left it out in the yard for two years.none..and i mean none of the rust came back.not at the crossmembers..not at any of the rivets..so the next mission was to try and get the product tinted..what a joke.none of the reps were any help..they all sucked ass and poorly at that.so i ordered up a gallon of their cat yellow and got happy and mixed it up with some of the black i already had..it looks awesome.matches my canvas top on my M37 perfectly....they only offer a safety yellow and cat yellow.from looking at it id say its the old cat yellow.its more of a deeper yellow..if i remember the new cat yellow is more to the white and a little lighter.

Last edited by Corey Myronuk; 20-12-12 at 07:37. Reason: spelling
Old 19-12-12, 02:21

Just to be sure here is a sample of both shades of cat yellow. The brighter (left) one is the old type. Who makes the Zero Rust product? It sounds like what we all need.
Attached Images

Old 19-12-12, 03:41

Default Zero Rust has been around in Canada for at least 6 years.

I have mixed Tremclad Yellow. Blue. Red and Flat black and came up with a reasonable OD used on M37...... wash the truck with gasoline and painted.... stuck very well and lasted years.

The problem comes with mixing two matching batches......Blue and Yellow will give you the green and red will turn it towards brown/green turd color....flat black will darken it.

I am sure you could work out a formula the same with Zero Rust using the same primary colors...... you have to make sure each color has been well mixed for similar color and solid mix. Flat black will darken and reduce gloss and so will using regular gasoline as a thinner ( use hi test with no ethyl alcohol)....makes it flatter but not dead flat. For real flat paint we use to buy "Suedene" from auto paint shops....expensive and not sure if it is still available.

Good luck with the witch's brew.

Bob
Canada
Old 20-12-12, 01:10
Shop Dog

Default no fuss-no muss

Yes Jack its the early yellow i used..and there was no blending of primary colors..both the zero rust colors are flat finishes..i mixed them 50/50 (black and early cat yellow)then reduced with lacquer thinner by 20% as its fairly cold to be painting.Ive reduced as much as 40% in hot weather.

was blown away that it made such a close match.I ordered a quart of the (non-saftey) green to experiment in making some of the Vietnam era OD which is much more of a grass green to my eye ,but haven't had time to play around with it.

I ordered directly from this site..
http://zero-rust.com/
as i had nothing but problems with the western Canada distributors..the guys from the website were very helpful and excited to hear the purpose for which it was being used.
I spoke to them regarding custom colors,which they will do but there is a 50 gallon minimum..

Last edited by Corey Myronuk; 20-12-12 at 07:39.
Old 20-12-12, 01:53
Shop Dog

Default sample

here are a couple of pics of what it came out like.this was just brushed on so i could get an idea what it looked like..and either the wax in the paper cup i did the test batch in or the cold gave it a semi gloss..not sure why..but as soon as i get something bigger prepped i'll spray a cup and post the results..and a shot of my 337 ford 8eq
Attached Thumbnails
8eq.jpg   OD1.jpg   OD2.jpg  
Old 05-12-14, 18:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post
For real flat paint we used to buy "Suedene" from auto paint shops....expensive and not sure if it is still available.
I didn't find anything on search for suedene or suedine combined with flat, gloss or agent. Do you have any idea who might have made it?
Old 05-12-14, 22:26

Default Not a clue......

It came from a auto paint shop in Hull no idea of the name/make.

Last time I checked I found a "flattening agent" sold by the quart and needs to be mixed 1 to 1 and the quart was the same prices as the auto paint around $60 a quart.

On the plus side I do have quarts of yellow, red and blue from Zero Rust that I was planning to mix to see what could be obtained.... they sell it at Barrie Flea market. Do not beleive the quarts I have to be flat but rather glossy.

Cheers
Canada