MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 05-04-19, 17:43
carrier mech

Default 125 Service Battalion

I remember reading an article years back about the formation of the 125 Service Battalion, either in the 80s or 90s. It was formed by combining the assets of 1, 2 and 5 Brigade service Battalions during an RV or some other major ex.

I ask because I found part of a decal on the back of the M62 wrecker I am working on. Half the decal is missing, but the 25 is there. Does anybody remember what year and where the 125 existed? I can compare that with the VMOs of the wrecker to compare.
Old 05-04-19, 19:23

Default Exercise RV 87

Rob, check the year 1987 as 125 Support Battalion was formed for that exercise.
Old 05-04-19, 19:46
carrier mech

Do you remember where the ex was that year? I checked the VMOs for this truck, and for some reason they only start in May of 89, at which time this truck was temp issued to Wainwright from a militia holding.

Attached is the decal in question. Hopefully someone has a photo of a similar decal...seems like they went to a lot of work for just one ex. I note the decal is not quite the normal service battalion flag, where the yellow would be much narrower. And I found reference to a 25 svc bn out of Toronto, so it's possible that is who this decal was for. The bottom white band is also puzzling. Perhaps it was originally the faint blue of the EME (now RCEME again) flag. Just as possible the EME elements of the 125 Service Bn had decals made up, but again, it seems like a lot of effort for a very temporary unit when a couple cans of spray paint and some masking tape would have achieved the same thing.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01441.jpg  

Last edited by rob love; 05-04-19 at 19:57.
Old 05-04-19, 20:38

Default RV Exercises

With the exception of RV 81 (Gagetown), all of the other division sized RV exercises (83, 87, 89, 92) were held at Wainwright.

Decals were quite the thing in the 1980s so I would not dismiss it. As well, are you sure you are looking at a decal for 25 on blue/yellow/red horizontal was also the tactical sign for a RCEME Field Workshop.
Old 05-04-19, 23:14
carrier mech

Ed

I am leaning towards this flag being a LORE/EME flag with the dark blue, the yellow, and the red strips, and with the bottom strip being the light blue colour that was added to the RCEME (LORE) with unification.

On unification, we almost lost all identity and joined the support trades wearing the paperclip. However, our senate fought and managed to get the LORE badge and name. After about 20 years of that we managed to get to be called EME, and now have managed to go full circle back to RCEME. I believe the guys are now being issued new berets in army blue (which is actually black). Apparently, it's historical, but I only have seen those old denim berets in dark blue (black) which were always grease covered...not sure if those are the historical coloured berets that the army is referencing.

There was a saying about the colours when I went to the LORE school in 81. Blue was for the seas we never crossed, red was for the blood we never shed, and yellow was.....well I won't repeat it as it belittles the sacrifices made by RCEME soldiers over the past 75 years.

Ooops, now I am starting to wander.....
Old 06-04-19, 17:22
Centurion nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
I found reference to a 25 svc bn out of Toronto, so it's possible that is who this decal was for. The bottom white band is also puzzling.
As Ed notes below, it's more than likely the vehicle unit sign for a field workshop which was a rectangle of three equal horizontal stripes blue/yellow/red top to bottom with a white 25 serial. It would not be for 25 (Toronto) Service Bn since militia units, not being brigade assets, did not use the serial, but had a white strip above the vehicle unit sign with the unit's name stencilled on.

What is strange though, is why the 2 and the 5 are so far apart, why there seems to be blue paint around the 2 and why there is a white strip below it. This is a puzzler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstorey View Post
...25 on blue/yellow/red horizontal was also the tactical sign for a RCEME Field Workshop.
I think you're correct about it being for a field workshop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
I am leaning towards this flag being a LORE/EME flag with the dark blue, the yellow, and the red strips, and with the bottom strip being the light blue colour that was added to the RCEME (LORE) with unification.
I've never seen any B vehicles marked with coloured service battalion flag decals, but then I haven't seen any since the 80's so who knows.

Wish I could help more.

Cheers,
Dan.
Old 06-04-19, 17:40
carrier mech

It almost looks like the background of the decal was blue with the colours and numbers applied over that background. I'll do some careful forensic paint removal when I get a chance.
Old 06-04-19, 17:44

Rob.

In your photo in Post 3, there seems to be a vertical edge to the right side of that marking. At the top right, the dark blue colour looks as if it runs right up to that edge. Likewise just below the dark blue, the yellow colour also goes up to that edge.

If that edge marks the extreme right end of that marking, then the surviving white ‘2’ and ‘5’ are too far to the left to look correct. They would appear to need a third number behind them to balance their position on the coloured background.

Or, that marking was repainted several times over the career of the vehicle at exactly the same height each time, but the position floated left and right, thereby spreading out the overall width of the background stripes.

Or, my eyes are shot.

David
Old 06-04-19, 18:39
Centurion nut

I think you guys are right. We're looking at more than one decal becoming visible.

Rob,

The decal photo looks like it was taken through a window or other piece of glass. Is there any chance of a clear photo? One straight on of the decal and one of where it's located on the vehicle?

Dan.
Old 06-04-19, 18:46
carrier mech

Will do Monday. The decal is located just above the step up to the deck, and the tailight is just beneath it. Opposite side has a Canada flag decal.
Old 06-04-19, 18:49
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
Rob.

If that edge marks the extreme right end of that marking, then the surviving white ‘2’ and ‘5’ are too far to the left to look correct. They would appear to need a third number behind them to balance their position on the coloured background.
David
My own theory on this is that the decal should be the usual flag size (3x5 I think) and there would be a number proceeding it, which is why I was thinking the 125 battalion.
Old 08-04-19, 13:44

Here in Quebec, we had a similar experience in the late '80's early '90's. I was in the Reserves with 51 Service Battalion out of St. Hubert. For our final exercise of the summer, there was ourselves, 55 Service Battalion Quebec City, and 5 Service Battalion Valcartier (Reg. Force). Every summer there was always inter-unit bickering over who was " leading the pack" so to speak. The higher ups decided to put an end to the bickering, so they formed all 3 units into one by adding up the unit numbers to make the 111 Service Battalion. If my memory is correct, they went so far as to make unit slip-ons and a flag.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	106634