MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 03-12-22, 04:55
Lionel G. Evans

Default Please ID Panel Holder Clamp Auto Panels

Hello All,

Can anyone identify the name and supplier of a panel clip or clap that can be used to hold outer and inner panels together in places like car door frames? I was watching a car rebuilding show produced in the UK and they showed a panel clip/clap. The clamps are small enough to allow the door to be opened and closed while holding such things as the outer and inner door sill together before they are welded in place. Rob on the video even said, "a lot of people are asking about these clamps". Then they proceeded on without naming the product!

Details of the segment are Salvage Rebuilds UK, accessed 3rd December 2022 from, AMAZING TRANSFORMATION OF OUR CRASHED 2017 BMW 220 M SPORT - YouTube one of the clamps is held in Chris' hand at the 7:05 minute mark. I took a screenshot of when Chris holds one of the clamps in his hand - see attached. I have been searching online using different keywords. However not knowing the correct product name is no help at all. Lots of results come up for the butt welding clams for holding two pieces of sheet metal apart with a spacer so they can be easily butt welded. I already have a set of those - so that it is not much help in the search. Also, when I type in a keywords such as "panel clip auto" or "panel clamp auto" the screen floods with suppliers of all the trim panel clips.

I did find some "midget panel holders" described as either a U or a C shape clamp - a bit like a mini g-clamp. These are reported to be small enough when holding the door inner and outer door sill together and still allow the door to open and close. However they are not the same as Chris from Salvage Rebuilds UK uses.

Yes I did leave a comment on the youtube site for the clips or clamps. Then a couple of hours later someone else asked the same question. It is one of those sites where the organisation does not respond to viewer comments. However, sometimes other subscribers do know the answer and post it up in the comments section.

It would be great if someone could identify these panel holding clips or clamps!

Kind regards
Lionel
Attached Images

Series III ex-Military Land Rovers x 2
Old 03-12-22, 05:23
VMVC

Default Panel holding clamps

Hi Lionel,

Thought maybe Eastwoods but didn't see that type there.

I reckon a drill press and a hacksaw could make a good reasonable facsimile. Maybe the shop made them too.

Cheers,

Jacques Reed
Old 03-12-22, 10:11
Lionel G. Evans

Hello Jacques,

Thank you for your reply. I just went back to the YouTube clip and checked the comments again. Chris was actually kind enough to reply to my comment. The clamps are called "Aperture Clamps" and they are described by Chris as being "very old and none came up on an internet search" that Chris performed last year. Thanks Chris and Rob!

Looks like I am going for the a mini "C" clamp alternative that are supposed to allow the doors to close when the inner and outer sill panels are being held. There are a couple of manufacturers.

Kind regards
Lionel
Series III ex-Military Land Rovers x 2