MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 13-08-04, 17:33
Vets Dottir

Default Friday the 13th New Baby Boy

My sisters youngest son just became a dad today, Friday August 13, at 6:02 a.m. Central Daylight time, to an over 9lbs baby BOY! Who shall be called (Zack I believe)

My sister and hubby begat 5 boys, and have about 8??? grandkids.... only ONE is a girl!

BOYS BOYS BOYS ...

Welcome to the World "Zack" from yore Aunty Karmen
Old 13-08-04, 17:51
Vets Dottir

Default Beaconia ... home :)

FYI... my SIS and I (along with her hubby and family) are heading out this evening for a weekend where we began and lived our early years, same place as "Uncle Eddie" and the rest of our relations are from.

No CMP's but perhaps B-B-Q's , music I hope, picking berries like we did as kids, smelling the stinky-fish lake as we walk the beach and swat horseflies and mosquitos so we know we're REALLY HOME again

I may search out an outhouse and a well and kerosine/coal oil lamps, just to really revive the childhood,and throw rocks at someone, catch greenfrogs and fireflies in jars, watch the poplar/birch??? leaves dance and sparkle in the breeze, enjoythe sound of driving on the gravel roads as we choke from the dust ... and and and hang out withmy sis and go visit our relatives in our little cemetery to pick weds and tidey, chat ... be sisters Talk about her new grandson too

Lifes treeasures are really simple things.

I may also be able to scare up som firsthand stories of Uncle Eddie and even some photos... of him ...

and Mark and Keefy? ... you ready for this? maybe some of me too from this coming weekend.!

You can only DREAM, right?

Tonight Karmen's coming back home .... LOOK OUT!
Old 13-08-04, 20:41
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Beaconia ... home :)

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
Tonight Karmen's coming back home .... LOOK OUT!
DANGER! DANGER! DANGER!.......SOMEBODY LEFT THE CAGE DOOR OPEN AGAIN!.....

Old 13-08-04, 21:21
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Beaconia ... home :)

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
DANGER! DANGER! DANGER!.......SOMEBODY LEFT THE CAGE DOOR OPEN AGAIN!.....
Yore right! I'm taking a FRYING PAN plus some rubber bands to make sling shots! and I'm going for a walk up Beaconia Beach to where the outsiders who don't even LIVE THERE have inflicted their body parts on MY LAND WITHOUT INVITATION! ... read and weep

Beaconia beach, Manitoba

Beaconia beach is located on the southeastern shore of Lake Winnipeg, just north of Patricia beach.
You have to be careful not to undress too early because the section of beach nearest the parking lot
attracts clothed families.

Some nudists were harassed by local residents in the summer of '98.

Drive about 70 kilometres north of Winnipeg on Highway 59. Turn west on Provincial Road 500 to
reach the town of Beaconia. After you pass the gas station, continue due west on the gravel road,
which goes over a marsh and ends in a parking lot. Walk to the beach and turn left (south). You will
have to walk about 15 minutes to reach the nude area.

The access road over the marsh was closed in the fall of '98, but it is now open once again.

You will first see nude straight couples. There are more gay men at the far south end of the beach.

There are no facilities - no washrooms, no change rooms, no fast food stands, no fresh water. There
is a pay phone at the gas station in Beaconia (and probably washrooms; I am not sure).

Sometimes the water levels on Lake Winnipeg are high. You may have to walk through some shallow
water and step over fallen trees to reach the nude area.

Aaaaaargh
Old 13-08-04, 23:28
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Re: Re: Beaconia ... home :)

........ ......NUDE BEACH......... ..........

Old 14-08-04, 22:16
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Nude indeed!

Quote:
... read and weep

Some nudists were harassed by local residents in the summer of '98.
You will first see nude straight couples. There are more gay men at the far south end of the beach.
Okaaayyy so what sort of pictures are we to expect?
I hope you took at least 3 frying pans to preserve modesty in the images.

We're all steeling ourselves for this, Yapster.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 14-08-04, 22:37
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Nude indeed!

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb
Okaaayyy so what sort of pictures are we to expect?
I hope you took at least 3 frying pans to preserve modesty in the images.

We're all steeling ourselves for this, Yapster.
Pssst...Keith, after we're all Blinded by said images, who's going to supply the white canes...........
Old 14-08-04, 22:43
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Re: Re: Nude indeed!

Quote:
Pssst...Keith, after we're all Blinded by said images, who's going to supply the white canes...........
Not to mention how difficult it will be to avoid those flying frying pans!

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 14-08-04, 22:53
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Nude indeed!

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb
Not to mention how difficult it will be to avoid those flying frying pans!
Not to worry Keith, like I keep telling ya, she can't throw that high, let alone lift em......
Old 16-08-04, 00:42
Vets Dottir

Wink In my bunker again ...

I'm back
...yah 2 buggers

I mean Mark-O and Keefy-O ...and I brought home ROCKS from the beach. Can't yap right this minute though ...but hey, no tan lines on this kid (didn't go swimming )

Old 16-08-04, 00:50
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: In my bunker again ...

Quote:
...but hey, no tan lines on this kid
"No tan lines" could be interpreted in a number of ways, y'know...
Old 16-08-04, 00:53
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: In my bunker again ...

Quote:
I'm back
...yah 2 buggers

I mean Mark-O and Keefy-O ...and I brought home ROCKS from the beach. Can't yap right this minute though ...but hey, no tan lines on this kid (didn't go swimming )

Keith, me thinks we're about to be BLINDED!!! ........Oh My God!!!!

and for you , this
Old 16-08-04, 02:20
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Re: Re: In my bunker again ...

Quote:
Keith, me thinks we're about to be BLINDED!!! ........Oh My God!!!!

and for you , this
Just as well I'm a LONG way away

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 16-08-04, 03:30
Vets Dottir

Wink Yore ALL lucky

Gee... who do I answer first?

Sunray ... take it THIS way ... no tanlines cuz I'm like a ghost who is never in the sun and who no bathing suit, not enough sun anyways, and I ain't no naturist ... was content to walk the "everyone clothed" beaches collecting rocks (just in case I need them one day) and sand.... and mosquito bites. I haven't picked off any wood-ticks yet though... bonus.

MARK ... I dusted off my Grandpas headstone to read;

Priv. Joseph Smith (Uncle Eddie's Dad)
1883-1945
CMR CEF
Lest We Forget

Would you happen to know if the nominal rolls are online? I was hoping that I could find his service record number Any hints help appreciated. Thank you. (I got onee of the cars to chauffer peopler around but couldn't take the time to visit the woman who has photos/memories of Uncle Eddie. I'll call her one day and arrange a get together.

Hey everyone ... there are still big old green frogs all over the place ... fun to see my sisters grandkids experiencing the excitement and fun of catching them (I made them let thm go later)

There were 10 of us, ages from 5 through 66 in a 3BR cottage ... no running water so didn't have far to go to find an outhouse

Bye
Old 16-08-04, 03:39
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

Default Poor Beaconia

Last time I visited Beaconia beach, was sometime in the early '80s, and I was motoring around in the sand in my Suzuki SJ410, having traversed the decayed causeway in four-wheel drive.
Since then, of course, the gays/nudies migrated from Patricia Beach, thus spoiling Beaconia as a "family" beach, much to the annoyance of many locals and regulars. I think the nudies won.
The province used to operate and maintain Beaconia, but abandoned it , as they did Oak Lake beach and others - maybe it's time they took it back. For those who don't know, Beaconia Beach is a stabilized sandbar, connected across a marshy lagoon by a short causeway, on the southeast shore of Lake Winnipeg. It really is a nice spot .

Trees: if you were nearer the lake, most likely aspens (poplars) , if you were higher up the ridge, just below the pines and spruces, probably birch (grow in clumps).

Congratulations on the new family member.!
Old 16-08-04, 04:14
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Poor Beaconia

Quote:
Originally posted by cmperry4
Last time I visited Beaconia beach, was sometime in the early '80s, and I was motoring around in the sand in my Suzuki SJ410, having traversed the decayed causeway in four-wheel drive.
Since then, of course, the gays/nudies migrated from Patricia Beach, thus spoiling Beaconia as a "family" beach, much to the annoyance of many locals and regulars. I think the nudies won.
The province used to operate and maintain Beaconia, but abandoned it , as they did Oak Lake beach and others - maybe it's time they took it back. For those who don't know, Beaconia Beach is a stabilized sandbar, connected across a marshy lagoon by a short causeway, on the southeast shore of Lake Winnipeg. It really is a nice spot .

Trees: if you were nearer the lake, most likely aspens (poplars) , if you were higher up the ridge, just below the pines and spruces, probably birch (grow in clumps).

Congratulations on the new family member.!
Would this Suzuki SJ410 of yours be like a dune buggy type thingy? Lotsa them around Beaconia ... and yeah, sandbars I scooped some sand to bring home too I'll see if I can find some photos online so people can see some of the scenery.

We were between the Beaconia Road that runs same as the lake, and the lake, so POPLAR trees sound about right. Someeone must have told me "poplar" trees as a kid because THAT is what I've ALWAYS called them. I LOVE them... so tall and straight ...small leaves that constantly brush and flick together in the constant breezes ... sun reflecting ... most of my walks, except along the beaches, was me listening and looking UP smiling. Joy. And listening to the leaves all nite.

Do you know the BEACONIA HARBOUR turnoff? 100 N is the name of that Road... well ... if you turn the opposite direction from the Harbour on that harbour road, and go a couple of miles towards Hwy 59 ... the first turn off corner is HOME! Grannyhada cottage there and welived there... and there-abouts.The old homestead burnt and was between there and Beaconia (village) Eddie was born/raised in that house.

Regards nudists ... my brother had something to do with "handling" the conflict between the nudists and locals. I hear there are still nudists which does make the locals irate ... (except for a few men who just GRIN ) A lot of the locals are very conservative, traditional, old-timey and religeous too... nudists would be a very tough cross to bear (shhh!)for some ... and the nudists coming in without a by-your-leave, and an in-your-face disrespectful attitude towards the locals has really upset some folks. The nudists aren't locals ...they come from all over, especially the States from what I understand.

I think my brother was one of the names that people petitioned TO to get rid of the nudists.

The area ... definately has some nice natural spots and rightnow... the air is incredibly SWEET smelling ... many things bloomed.

Isn't it crazy to see almost a field of marsh grasses and bullrushes, small strip of beach, then lake with out land on the horizon?

me I love it. I'd buy a cabin in 2 minutes if I could.
Old 16-08-04, 08:32
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

My Suzuki SJ410 was an actual car - forerunner to the SJ413 "Samurai" - you still see some around. It in fact had the same wheelbase, track and horsepower of the original Jeep (GPW/MB, etc)

http://www.off-road.com/suzuki/tech/history2.htm

I know as well as the nudists, the ATVs have been a problem in the area and on the beaches, but I blush to confess to tooling along the old railway right-of-way on a three-wheeler in days of yore, and falling off it in the gravel pit. Drove the Suzuki on the old rail line, too.

I know the Beaconia area as my late ex-father-in-law had a cottage there, and I know the harbour road - I once sailed from Gimli to Balsam Bay for a visit.

I'm like you when it comes to the tanlines - most I get is farmer/trucker's tan - when I dare to wear a short-sleeve shirt.
Old 16-08-04, 18:27
Vets Dottir

Default Back Home

Quote:
Originally posted by cmperry4
I know the Beaconia area as my late ex-father-in-law had a cottage there, and I know the harbour road - I once sailed from Gimli to Balsam Bay for a visit.

I'm like you when it comes to the tanlines - most I get is farmer/trucker's tan - when I dare to wear a short-sleeve shirt.
I guess I was thinking about ATV's ... low to the ground, big fat tires, looks like a bulky dune buggy ... in winter it's snowmobiles.

Regards the tanlines ... lft arm black from hanging out the drivers window and the rest of you pale white huh? I remember especially the men's faces from childhood, when the farming was still really happening, black from the sun weathered faces ... farming AND fishing.

My stepfather had a farm, grains and critters, and fished that lake too, like everyone else did. One day when coming home from fishing, he slipped on the slippery rocks, hit his head on them, went home, and concussion took him "home" within an hour of arriving home.

Fishing/farming ... hard work. Sunup to sundown, never quits.

Sometimes I get urges to go home and gather stories as I would berries ... no slant towards any particular "group" ... just ... "This and these, the stories and memories of my life and stories I've been told" by the long-time locals of the area. Nothing political or family lines ... just "People of Back Home". Sit with the oldtimers memories and photographs and just listen and write ... catch it all for preservation.

Maybe one day
Old 16-08-04, 20:59
Richard Notton

Default Re: Back Home

Quote:
Regards the tanlines ... lft arm black from hanging out the drivers window and the rest of you pale white huh?
Cripes!!
How the hell do you manage that with the left arm?
Turn sideways to dangle it out?
How do you change gear?
Surefire way of getting nicked by the Fuzz for not being in full control. 3 points.

:

R.
Old 16-08-04, 21:08
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Back Home

Quote:
Originally posted by FV623
Cripes!!
How the hell do you manage that with the left arm?
Turn sideways to dangle it out?
How do you change gear?
Surefire way of getting nicked by the Fuzz for not being in full control. 3 points.

:

R.
Ah, well, Master R., what can I say, knowing YOU drive on the WRONG side of the road!? :

Old 16-08-04, 21:35
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Re: Back Home

Quote:
Ah, well, Master R., what can I say, knowing YOU drive on the WRONG side of the road!? :
No, you drive on the wrong side.
I drive on the left which is the right side.

R.
Old 17-08-04, 02:50
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Back Home

Quote:
Originally posted by FV623
No, you drive on the wrong side.
I drive on the left which is the right side.

R.
Left, Right
Left, Right
Hup
Hup

Below is a link to a couple of photos of Patricia and Beaconia Beaches ... by the way, this strip of lake front is known as 'The Beaches" . When I was a kid it was just "The Beach"
http://www.mts.net/~harrow/natbeach.htm

Mark Perry ... I found a photo of Balsam Bay Harbour ... directly inland about a mile or two is where I'm from. About 2 miles to the left is wher I spent this weekend... I took the kids swimming to this little Balsam Bay Harbour. A few people were fishing too
Attached Images

Old 17-08-04, 10:20
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Nudists? - This'll fix 'em

Mark Perry's SJ410 failed to convince the naturalists to decamp the first time, now there's a little more "Persuasion".

Photo by Dragon Arms, Colorado, USA.
Attached Thumbnails
scan10004.jpg  
Old 17-08-04, 17:52
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

Holy %$#^! That is awesome. With that rig you could clean up the beach, then move on Consumer Reports magazine - as long as all that hardware up top didn't make it tip over first.
Old 17-08-04, 18:03
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

Default Balsam Bay

Nice view. That outer breakwater is new since I was last there. Those fishing boats are still hogging the outer leg, I see - they tie a stern mooring line across, so that nothing else can dock there - they tend to forget it's a public, not private, dock. (And not just at Balsam Bay). And there's always some kid fishing off the end who just *has* to cast his line as you're coming on, then gets all upset when it snags on your keel or rudder.
I miss sailing - I even got a sailing rig for my 16' canoe last year, fun, but I still have to sort out the steering issues - using a paddle as a sweep is just too awkward I found.

And of course, I'm preoccupied with the green toys these days.
Old 17-08-04, 21:43
Vets Dottir

Default Tony...

Hey TONY .... how's about lending me that vehicle so I can patrol and scare off the birthday suits bunch?

I saw no unclothed folks where I was ... I think they'd be about a mile up the beach, but I'd be willing to go a little out of my way to keep the locals content (the nudies COULD have horned in on areas where locals don't go ... lots and lots of beach areas to choose from, even around that end of the Lake)

Last time I was back home, other than a couple of hours a couple of months ago, was in summer 1989 for a couple of hours (Mom's funeral) ... before that? I'm sure I was a teenager and stayed a couple of days...so...long time ago. Guess thats why this visit and time back here is such a big deal for me.

By the way... I hear that this is Manitoba's WORST summer on record. I don't think we've had summer YET!:
Old 18-08-04, 02:26
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Ha, Ha - Consumer Reports Magazine.

Mark, If you still bear a grudge against Consumer Reports Magazine then you must be a Suzuki fan from way back. I've owned about a dozen Suzuki 4wd's since the early 80's including two-stroke LJ20's, LJ50's, four stroke LJ80, and 1 litre Sierra in soft top, hard top and ute form and really enjoyed what you could get up to in them and how cheaply you could do it. I thought they were quite unique, until I managed to park next to a WW2 jeep one day. I realised that 50 year old (now 60!)vehicles weren't all that different and had a whole new "Fun" factor to explore.