MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 15-06-23, 16:32

Default Signal training pamphlet - Inf Div Sigs Regt 1950

I was wondering if anyone might know the contents of the below item -

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/i...ect/1500022031

Signal training. Volume I : signal organization and tactics. Pamphlet no. 6 : infantry divisional signal regiment 1950

I was wondering whether it might give a good indication of the operation of the 1944-45 era Infantry Divisional Signals unit. I 'think' the 1950 Signals Regiment was based on the war establishment (WE) issued in 1947, which itself was derived from the 1945 WE.

I started a thread on this forum and over on the No.19 set forum on the subject of the operation of a 1944-45 era Div Sigs unit, which produced some very helpful responses. Where possible I like to refer to the manuals of the day but there's nothing I can find issued during the war.

The above item is closest I can find in terms of time. Still, not cheap to get a copy of from the IWM so I'd like to get an idea of the contents if possible (time spent in reconnaissance is not wasted is something I've found applies well to research quests!).

Cheers,

Gary
Old 17-06-23, 01:16
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary_GJK View Post
I was wondering if anyone might know the contents of the below item -

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/i...ect/1500022031

Signal training. Volume I : signal organization and tactics. Pamphlet no. 6 : infantry divisional signal regiment 1950

I was wondering whether it might give a good indication of the operation of the 1944-45 era Infantry Divisional Signals unit. I 'think' the 1950 Signals Regiment was based on the war establishment (WE) issued in 1947, which itself was derived from the 1945 WE.

I started a thread on this forum and over on the No.19 set forum on the subject of the operation of a 1944-45 era Div Sigs unit, which produced some very helpful responses. Where possible I like to refer to the manuals of the day but there's nothing I can find issued during the war.

The above item is closest I can find in terms of time. Still, not cheap to get a copy of from the IWM so I'd like to get an idea of the contents if possible
Did you try requesting a copy from the WS19 group archive? (It can be something of a chore (due to various freeloaders trying to pirate the whole archive, but it was a lot of work and _considerable_ expense, both in money as well as time to create it).)

A lot of the post-ww2 manuals are my collection, but I've been too busy/tired to attack the backlog recently - maybe when I retire?

WW2 operated mainly off the 1938 hardcover manuals, updates were done by pamphleting the hardcover and replacing sections as techniques evolved.

So the early operation would be based on Signal Training Volume V - Signal Office organization and procedure (for higher formations) and the "All Arms" book and Pamphlet No.8 for the lower end of things. (I don't know when/if Volume 8 appeared; there was a pre-war hardcover "Fixed Signal Services" for the telephone systems and Defence Teleprinter Network plus fortifications. That was pamphleted during WW2 but was classified "Security" so I'm unlikely to ever get a copy of it. (Post-WW2 it turned into/covered Electronic Warfare, so will be even more difficult to get a look at.)

Best regards,
Chris. (Junior Password Gnome)
Old 17-06-23, 18:29

Cheers Chris, I'll give it a go. I haven't posted on the No.19 forum for a while now so I doubt I'm still considered an active member, and my email is of the type that they don't accept for download requests (for the reason you mentioned). I used to be able to get some WO manuals from the Australian War Memorial but they changed their pricing last year - went from $0.50 per page (and they normally copied facing pages as one sheet so practically $0.25 per page) to $39.90 for a document of 10 to 50 pages. If they were still on the old rates I'd have ordered from there.

Gary
Old 19-06-23, 09:27
Junior Password Gnome

Hi Gary, PM sent.

If all else fails I can find and re-scan the pamphlet.

Chris.