MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 12-09-16, 00:31

Default 19-Set/Clansman/Larkspur Adapter

Somewhere on the net in the last couple of weeks, I ran across a reference to one of these, with a very fuzzy picture and I cannot, for the life of me retrace where I ran across it. Thought I would toss it out here in case somebody recognizes the details and can perhaps provide more information.

What the item appeared to be was a 6 or 8 inch long heavy rubber cable. One end was fitted with a standard 12-pin 19-Set Cable Connector. The opposite end had a female 6-pin Clansman/Larkspur Headset Receptacle fitted. From what I understood from the article, by fitting this adapter to a 19-Set Control Box, the Clansman/Larkspur Commanders Headset could be connected and be fully functional within the 19-Set System.

I am guessing this adapter was most likely in use during the transition years, when the 19-Set equipment was being phased out and the newer Clansman/Larkspur equipment phased in. I know in the early 1960's, the Canadian Army had a version of the M37/42 Signals Van in their inventory that was equipped with a 19-Set and a C42 Set, which would be an ideal environment for one of these adapters.

What crosses my mind now is whether or not these adapters would have been a limited run special order item that was contracted for, or if the design came into being as a field mod on an 'as needed' basis.

David
Old 12-09-16, 20:38
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
Somewhere on the net in the last couple of weeks, I ran across a reference to one of these, with a very fuzzy picture and I cannot, for the life of me retrace where I ran across it. Thought I would toss it out here in case somebody recognizes the details and can perhaps provide more information.

What the item appeared to be was a 6 or 8 inch long heavy rubber cable. One end was fitted with a standard 12-pin 19-Set Cable Connector. The opposite end had a female 6-pin Clansman/Larkspur Headset Receptacle fitted. From what I understood from the article, by fitting this adapter to a 19-Set Control Box, the Clansman/Larkspur Commanders Headset could be connected and be fully functional within the 19-Set System.
David
That seems rather unlikely, since the 12-way connector is intended for a control unit (though I suppose it could fit the second connector on the Operator control box).

Cables I have seen:

Short 2-pin male Pattern 104 to Pye 6 pin socket. (WS19 power from later power distribution box).

Long 12 pin Pattern 104 to Pye 12-pin socket (WS19 into Larkspur harness)

Bracket with Pye 12-pin plug to something I've forgotten (to fit a C12 into a WS19 harness).

6-pin Pattern 104 (I think) to Connector 5-pt (drop lead) Mic/Headset connector for C12. (Only allows a single user, so presumably training, etc.

There may well be other variations in circulation, but these were standard items for various applications.

Chris.
Old 13-09-16, 08:32
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

It was on Ebay a couple of weeks ago. P/N Z1/ZA47960

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WIRELESS-S...p2047675.l2557
Old 13-09-16, 14:00

Thanks for posting that, Bruce. It isn't the bit I spotted on the web earlier, but is definitely the same piece of equipment. Interesting to know it was a production item. It also solves a mystery lurking in my odds and sods bin for several decades. I will do some rummaging this evening and see if I can post some pictures to explain it all.

You and Chris do realize, of course, your information has very likely put me on a quest for two more fiddly bits for my 19-Sets that will literally tie in quite nicely now with my C42 as well.

Cheers for now,

David
Old 13-09-16, 14:39
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Glad to help a fellow 'yless collector.

I had to sell my M152CDN sigs van prior to moving here. It was equipped with a WS19 and two C42 sets in rebroadcast mode. I did keep a C11/R210 set but I think Chris owns it now.
Old 13-09-16, 21:57
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
Thanks for posting that, Bruce. It isn't the bit I spotted on the web earlier, but is definitely the same piece of equipment. Interesting to know it was a production item. It also solves a mystery lurking in my odds and sods bin for several decades. I will do some rummaging this evening and see if I can post some pictures to explain it all.

You and Chris do realize, of course, your information has very likely put me on a quest for two more fiddly bits for my 19-Sets that will literally tie in quite nicely now with my C42 as well.

Cheers for now,

David
Yes, that's the short 12-pin Pye to 12-pin Pattern 104 (larkspur harness connector) so that you can fit a WS19 into a later vehicle setup. I think they existed in several lengths (and possibly male/female connector types, depending on the intended application). I have a small selection (just in case I ever need to build that kind of setup).

Chris.
Old 14-09-16, 00:41

Rats! I cannot locate it at the moment, but back in the 80's I received a box of C42 Cables and bits from a benevolent Corporal at a local armoury while chatting to him about Southwind Heater installations for the M38CDN. Tucked into the box of stuff was a late model 12-pin Pye connector identical to the one in the eBay ad, but the rubber cable had been chopped at the base of the connector and just a short bunch of plastic covered wires were sticking out. Seemed odd to find a 19-Set bit of kit in with C42 parts and I dismissed it and tossed the connector into a spares bin. The plastic wire loom colours in the eBay ad are identical to those in the connector I have misplaced, but it seems to support these particular adaptor cables were in the Cdn Army Supply System at one time. The only cables I have seen for the C42 12-pin connector are 90 degree elbow types. Seems I will have to keep an eye out for this cable with inline connectors and use the appropriate end and section of cable to reconstruct one of these adaptors. I suspect once the 19-Sets were out of the picture, these adapters became redundant and somebody wagged the C42 end as a spare, tossing the Pye end.

David
Old 14-09-16, 01:35

While I am at it. In the course of trying to find the original web article that started all this, I ran across the attached 19-Set/Clansman/Larkspur adapter that looks as if it is intended to allow 19-Set headsets to be connected to the later FM radio systems.

Probably the other one I need to start looking for...

David
Attached Thumbnails
mysterycable1.jpg