MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 16-09-10, 12:44
former Resident Historian

Default Dodge postwar

I am sure that this Dodge tipper is ex-military...any ideas on model number please? I think it's a D-60S 3-ton T-110-L-6 4X2 TIPPING.
Attached Thumbnails
abe348.jpg  
Old 16-09-10, 12:51

Default Bedford?

Whilst I am at it, here's a pgoto of a same-operator Bedford..any idea which model please?
Attached Thumbnails
abe349.jpg  
Old 16-09-10, 21:24

Left maybe Bedford MW and right Austin K4
Austin 10hp G/YG "Tilly"
Royal Enfield WD/CO 1942
British airborne trailer

family
Austin K2/Y Ambulance 1939
Austin K30 1940
Austin Champ 1954
Old 16-09-10, 22:40

The Bedford is either an OY or the civillian equivalent OW my money is on OY as it has single military tyres The Austin is most likely a K4 but a number of civillian K3s were delivered 1938/9 and there is a long shot it is a long wheelbase K2 But mosrt likely is a K4.

TED
Old 18-09-10, 15:12

Default Bedford OY, Dodge D60

The Dodge is a T110L series, must be a D60S with added dual rears I think.
Old 18-09-10, 15:23

Default Thanks

I reckoned that the Dodge (operated by a company in Derby) was a D60S as you can see. However, there were a number of US Dodges supplied direct to the London County Council in 1941 specifically for bomb clearance work. hese had to be paid for in precious US$. The Bedford I thought was an OY of some sort and the Austin a wartime K4 with the early grille but I gather the number of wheelnuts can determine if it is a K2 or K4.
Old 18-09-10, 15:34

Default You've answered your own question there David.

That is a Canadian Dodge, and would not have been supplied by, or via, the US, or paid for in US$

If US Dodges were supplied in 1941 they would be WK series 3 tons with US-pattern ten stud wheels. Of course early in 1941 VK60 series Dodges were still being supplied as chassis cab and chassis cowl, like Rick Jones VK62B;

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/dodgerestoration.htm

... he must be due to start the engine on that truck after a lengthy rebuild, if he hasn't already done so.

Gordon
Old 18-09-10, 21:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Hayward View Post
I reckoned that the Dodge (operated by a company in Derby) was a D60S as you can see. However, there were a number of US Dodges supplied direct to the London County Council in 1941 specifically for bomb clearance work. hese had to be paid for in precious US$. The Bedford I thought was an OY of some sort and the Austin a wartime K4 with the early grille but I gather the number of wheelnuts can determine if it is a K2 or K4.
Davd have you any decent shots of the Dodges in war debris service in London ?/ All the pictures I have seen are of Internationals which were surplus to RAF requirements, plus later ex RAF Fordson 7Vs
Attached Thumbnails
International K7  1.jpg   International K7  2.jpg   International K7  3.jpg   International K7  4.jpg  
Old 09-11-10, 01:34

Here we are David
TED
Old 09-11-10, 08:24

Default Cheers!

I have never seen photos of the elusive Dodge tippers. Reference is made to them in the Treasury Requirements Committee minutes as foreign exchange was required to pay for them. It seems that a done deal was made by the Chairman of the LCC [LONDON COUNTY COUNCIL] to order them in 1941 and they were delivered under civilian contract, possibly not through the Ministry of Supply. In other words, they acquired them from Dodge Bros (Britain) Ltd of Kew, then in Surrey, and they had them imported as chassis cabs and I would imagine bodied over here with tipping gear. I wonder if there is anything in the Pathe library on them?

I do have a few shots of trucks in Hyde Park where there was a massive neat stack of rubble. The military were used to cart away tons presumably for runways etc., and used Bedford OYs. The civilians included tippers from civvy contractors. There were also salvage sales there, in order to repair damaged buildings, and also recovered vehicles etc.
Old 09-11-10, 12:24

Hi David should I stumble over any Dodge tipper shots I will make sure I post them. It was in July 1943 that the RAF tranferred the 200 International tippers to the war debris service -- the date was unearthed by Alan House !!

TED
Old 20-01-11, 20:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon View Post
http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/dodgerestoration.htm
... he must be due to start the engine on that truck after a lengthy rebuild, if he hasn't already done so.

Gordon
Hi G,

A little later than planned but yes it ran for the first time this week, and touch wood sounds aok. Signwriting was also completed in the last week or so, and there's a big push on to get it out to a show (if suitable transport can be organised) at the end of Feb (yes, this year so long as the next few days go to plan). Recent pics of s/writing:
http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/dodge...ignwriting.htm
The hunt is still on for a suitable 10-lug Budd rim (20"), preferably in or near California (for shipping purposes).

RJ (sunny UK)
Old 21-01-11, 11:38

Default Good to hear, Rick

I'm waiting for the You Tube video of the engine run after rebuild, but I'll bet it sounds very similar to the 'before' run.

Let's hope we can find you a couple of rims for the spares too.

G
Old 26-01-11, 15:18

I have saved these three pics of XWD Dodge's with dual rears over the years, I would credit source but I can't remember where , always assumed they were conversions but maybe not . Except for first pic they have flotation tyres front and duals on rear so possibly these two are conversions ?
Attached Thumbnails
Dodge cmp5 sheffield.jpg  
Attached Images

Last edited by chalky; 26-01-11 at 16:22.
Old 26-01-11, 15:25

Default Mixture

There was a specific chassis / axle / transmission / wheel combination for the T110L as a dual rear, something like T110L-D with a numeral in there too. I can never remember if the dual rear trucks came with the two-speed rear axle - I think they did.

Undoubtedly some of those pics are original dual rears, and some are ordinary T110L trucks with adapted rears - can't tell from photos.

I do have this info somewhere in the T110 manual, but not here to hand.
Old 26-01-11, 17:17

Perhaps the first one is a genuine London tipper as the body is very similar to those fitted to wartime Fordson 7V'S
Old 26-01-11, 17:36

Pity we cannot read the reg No

TED
Old 26-01-11, 19:13

Default Dual rears

My info has it that the T-110L-S and T-110L-13 [D-60S/DD] had dual rears. I assume that the T-110L-12 with 160" w.b. [D-60L/DD] also had duals.
Old 27-01-11, 09:42

The first pic does look like a pukka Dodge tipper ,wheelbase and wheels.
Did some digging and picture was Norwich in 1965 and came from here , but still can't read reg. no.-

http://norlink.norfolk.gov.uk/02_Cat...&displayType=2

and on same website in Norwich garage a very clear pic of GXF332 but its a Fordson 7V !
Attached Thumbnails
NP00014570.jpg  

Last edited by chalky; 31-01-11 at 09:16. Reason: clarity
Old 27-01-11, 10:23

Default Different kind of T110

Hello GORDON

In our garage in FRANCE (MVCG PARIS) we have had the 3 kinds of DODGE T110
T110 D60 L5 long wheel base, dual speed at the rear axle and single wheel at the front and the rear. In this case the hub owns 8 nuts. (british wheel)
T110 D60 L9 long wheel base, single speed at the rear axle and dual wheels at the rear axle
T110 D60 L12 long wheel base, dual speed at the rear axle and dual wheels at the rear axle
In the two last cases hub owns 5 nut
T110 L14 long wheel base single speed at the rear axle and dual wheels at the rear axle but it's saying that there were for civilian use
regard
Old 27-01-11, 17:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalky View Post
The first pic does look like a pukka tipper ,wheelbase and wheels.
Did some digging and picture was Norwich in 1965 and came from here , but still can't read reg. no.-

http://norlink.norfolk.gov.uk/02_Cat...&displayType=2

and on same website in Norwich garage a very clear pic of GXF332 but its a Fordson 7V !
Again 7V info I am afraid: I have a HMG disposal sale data base on one of my archived discs, I am positive there were loads of GXF reg 7V tippers. note the sliding cab roof hatch; Government procured 7V for both civil & military use all appear to have either a sliding hatch or double skin reinforced cab top.
Attached is one from the GXO block. My filing system is far from fit for purpose but as soon as I find the database I will list the reg blocks if anyone is interested.
Attached Thumbnails
War Debris Service 7V.jpg