MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 25-03-16, 20:16
GM Fox I

Default Wireless of the Week - week 6

From time to time during WW2 the British asked the Americans to use their mighty industrial capacity to build key pieces of war materiel. Bren carriers are one example. The radio for this week is another. And whereas the American T-16 built in response to the British order for Bren carriers bears virtually no resemblance to carriers other than in the most basic form, the American made Wireless Set No.48 barely resembles the British No.18 set it was supposed to copy. And even if you think the 48 and 18 sets are cousins, wait until you see what those damned Yanks did with the generator set they built to power them.

The 48 set was built by the Emerson Radio & Phonograph Co. beginning in 1943. The first versions had problems with locking the frequency dials and a correction for this plus other modifications were incorporated in a Mk.1* version. 48 sets were issued to Commonwealth troops on operations in Italy and the Far East. I have no evidence they were issued to Canadians, however a vet from the Irish Regiment of Canada recalls testing them against the No.18 set in Italy some time in 1944. A small number of 48 sets hit the Canadian surplus market in the 1970's which suggest they were available to Canadian forces, perhaps only in Canada, during or possibly after the war.

The set has a receiver unit (top) and sender (bottom) carried in a steel case. The sender and receiver faces, unlike the 18 set ones which were grey or black, are lime green, which may be either for visibility or, as I like to think, an inside American joke on British radio operators. The rear of the case has a web harness and waist belt for the operator to carry the set on his back. The front side has a folding canvas waterproof hood to protect the sender and receiver. There was provision to store aerial segments on the right and an adjustable aerial socket on the left. A hinged compartment on the bottom held the battery and plug to connect the set to the battery or hand generator. Removing the sender and receiver was accomplished by unscrewing large knurled nuts on the rear of the set. A T17 mic, earphones, CW key and spares valve box was carried in 'Satchels, Signal'.

The set operated on a frequency range between 6 and 9 MHz and had a range of 5 miles (voice) and 10 miles (CW). It was 17-1/2" tall, 11-1/2" wide, 10-1/2" deep and weighed 29 lbs. The set required the sender and receiver to be individually tuned and the dials were clamped with locking screws once they were set. All the radio controls and plugs for the accessories were on the radio face which meant the set had to be operated by a second person or removed from the wearer's back to be adjusted. Once set, however, a single operator could send and receive on the march.

Power for the set was supplied by a static battery providing L.T. and H.T. voltages. Alternatively, a 'Generator, Hand, 10 Watts Mk.II' could be used. Unlike the British hand crank 'Generator No. 5' used to power 18 sets and which came in a large steel box with a single crank, the American generator was a smallish metal case with two crank handles set on a collapsible tripod with a bicycle style seat for the operator. It had a protected switch on the side that could be set to power either the 48 or the 18 set.

The 48 set is an elusive one that rarely shows up in wartime photographs.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.JPG   4.jpg   5.jpg  

Old 25-03-16, 22:52
David Pope

So now I know what this seat is for!
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0085[1].jpg  
1940 Cab 11 F15A w/ Chev rear ends
1941 Cab 12 F15A
1942-44 Cab 13 F15A x 5
1942 cab 13 F15A with 2B1 box
1943 cab 13 F15A with 2H1 box
1943 Cab 13 C8A HUP
1944 Cab 13 C15A with 2C1 box
1943 Cletrac M2 High Speed Tractor
MkII Bren gun carrier chassis x 2
Old 25-03-16, 23:00
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletrac View Post
So now I know what this seat is for!
Almost. That's one for another American made generator (they were all similar) but the 48 set one is a little different where the front legs mount and the extra brace for the seat.
Old 26-03-16, 00:34
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Parker View Post
Almost. That's one for another American made generator (they were all similar) but the 48 set one is a little different where the front legs mount and the extra brace for the seat.
I've got the generator but need the rest of the bits (case, cranks, seat & legs) to complete mine. (Possibly also need the power lead, though I intend to use it with the 18 set.)

Do you need a photograph of the static battery box? (I acquired one recently, likewise to go with the WS18 outfit.)

Chris.
Old 26-03-16, 05:51
David Pope

Here's a couple of handles on ebay
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_1.jpg  
1940 Cab 11 F15A w/ Chev rear ends
1941 Cab 12 F15A
1942-44 Cab 13 F15A x 5
1942 cab 13 F15A with 2B1 box
1943 cab 13 F15A with 2H1 box
1943 Cab 13 C8A HUP
1944 Cab 13 C15A with 2C1 box
1943 Cletrac M2 High Speed Tractor
MkII Bren gun carrier chassis x 2
Old 27-03-16, 15:24
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Suslowicz View Post
I've got the generator but need the rest of the bits (case, cranks, seat & legs) to complete mine. (Possibly also need the power lead, though I intend to use it with the 18 set.)

Do you need a photograph of the static battery box? (I acquired one recently, likewise to go with the WS18 outfit.)

Chris.
Sure Chris, I'd love to see a pic of the static battery box. I think I can help you out with the seat.
Old 01-04-16, 01:02
Brent

Default my tuppence worth...

nice images Bruce, interesting synopsis, thankyou.

late last year I purchased an NOS box of WS 48 ancillaries.
up till that point I didn't realise there was a specific ground antenna for the set.

there's also an extension lead for the headset.

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/at...1&d=1459465187

Attached Thumbnails
ws48 1.jpg   ws 46 ant reeled.jpg   ws 48 ant open.jpg  
Old 03-05-16, 06:33
Brent

Smile a Kiwi slant

Hi Bruce & all, I took the 12v PSU out of my WS48 today and photographed it....been meaning too for years!

... so the story goes a ship with WS48 batteries was torpedoed by a Japanese sub...so there was a desperate shortage of batteries...
I don't know if that's the case or we were just too far from the beginning of a very extended supply chain.

The Kiwi boffins came up with this Vibrator Unit that supplies all the relevant voltages which sits beneath the transmitter unit.
The original radio plugs into the Vib unit and there is an on/off switch that attaches to the front hole in the battery box...

there are 2x copper upstands that connect to the TX chassis to earth the unit.
its a tight fit.

I have a hard copy of the original specs/wiring diagram somewhere, I'll post it IF I can find it

I bought 2 of these and gifted one to a chap who didn't even say 'Thankyou'. ~sighs~
Attached Thumbnails
WS48 Vib unit insitue   s-9195.jpg   WS48 Vib unit insitue under  s-9194.jpg   WS48 Vib  s-9199.jpg   WS48 Vib internals  s-9197.jpg   WS48 switch s-9203.jpg  

Old 04-05-16, 04:51
GM Fox I

Fascinating piece of kit, and what a story behind it. Thanks very much for showing it!!

I know a fellow here in Canada who made a battery powered unit that fit in the bottom of his 48 set and he used a combination of modern batteries to run it. I think it cost him about $50 in Duracells to run the set for a half hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by things_green View Post
Hi Bruce & all, I took the 12v PSU out of my WS48 today and photographed it....been meaning too for years!

... so the story goes a ship with WS48 batteries was torpedoed by a Japanese sub...so there was a desperate shortage of batteries...
I don't know if that's the case or we were just too far from the beginning of a very extended supply chain.

The Kiwi boffins came up with this Vibrator Unit that supplies all the relevant voltages which sits beneath the transmitter unit.
The original radio plugs into the Vib unit and there is an on/off switch that attaches to the front hole in the battery box...

there are 2x copper upstands that connect to the TX chassis to earth the unit.
its a tight fit.

I have a hard copy of the original specs/wiring diagram somewhere, I'll post it IF I can find it

I bought 2 of these and gifted one to a chap who didn't even say 'Thankyou'. ~sighs~
Old 04-05-16, 07:43
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

For those who wish to power up their WS48 there is a fellow on ebay who sells solid state inverters. His user name is inverter45 and he makes these for a variety of sets.

I've purchased a couple from him for a GRC9 and MK128 radio set. They work quite well and just need a gel battery.
Old 04-05-16, 09:59
Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce MacMillan View Post
For those who wish to power up their WS48 there is a fellow on ebay who sells solid state inverters. His user name is inverter45 and he makes these for a variety of sets.

I've purchased a couple from him for a GRC9 and MK128 radio set. They work quite well and just need a gel battery.
yes, Nico (I think it was Nico ;-) )out of Italy....brilliant kit, not cheap but well made and reliable.

I've had one of his inverters in my A510 for numerous years.
He also makes a a great unit for your/my BC611....drop it in, add 3x 'D cells' and voila!
I also bought one for my WS38 MkII*.... but I think I'll be selling that unfinished soon, too many projects not enough time & dosh.
Attached Thumbnails
BC611  inverter 3-9241.jpg  
Old 21-08-16, 14:30

hello
This wireless set is just Wonderful.
Do you know how many WS48 where made by Emerson Radio & Phonograph Co during 1942/44.
thanks for all
daniel from france