MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The MLU Sappers Mess

Notices

Old 14-01-11, 23:56

Clive,
Those pictures you posted were taken about 3/4 miles away from where I live ! (Anthony is a similar distance the other way), albeit probably 70 years ago. Love the Blenhiem bomber passing overhead, which could have taken off from RAF Benson or RAF Harwell. The houses in the background are still there, might be worth a before and after picture.
Thanks once again
Keith
Old 15-01-11, 01:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Orpin View Post
Clive,
Those pictures you posted were taken about 3/4 miles away from where I live ! (Anthony is a similar distance the other way), albeit probably 70 years ago. Love the Blenhiem bomber passing overhead, which could have taken off from RAF Benson or RAF Harwell. The houses in the background are still there, might be worth a before and after picture.
Thanks once again
Keith
That one with the Blenhiem is my favorite. I bought these as a job lot on EBay. There are a few more but the missing ones are mainly camp scenes and portraits etc. Nice idea about the before and after pics, any chance? Its a bit out of my way, I'm in Carlisle.
Old 25-01-11, 14:21

Clive,
Wait until it warms up / dries up a bit, and I'll see what I can do
Regards
Keith
Old 02-03-11, 00:28

Default Various

Hi guys

First time I have looked at this Sapper thread!

Post 129 actually shows the Class 50/60 Raft about which there has been some discussion.

The series of big pics above, including the Blenheim bomber, show the Mk V pontoon bridge equipment, with an interesting variety of Albion (?) bridging trucks crossing. And from way back, there certainly was an assault boat raft.

David Potter has asked about some unit AoS numbers. My references suggest he could be right about 1317 and 1318. Peter Hodges reports 1317 as being an RASC pontoon unit (and 1318 as merely RASC), but both, he says, displayed 21 Army Group signs with the Army bar below the AoS, rather than 30 Corps signs. None of my references give a number for Corps Bridging Companies. And 16 would appear to be a Corps Ammunition Company, as none of 79 Armd Div seem to have had that number. Not very helpful, I am afraid.

Great pics on this thread!

Chris
Old 01-04-11, 21:24

Evening Guys
Long long time ago i said i would put up some pictures from the book Bridging Normandy to Berlin so with the forum now up and running again i supose now is the time to start the ball rolling
Two photos here of Bristol Bridge a class 40 Bailey over the river Meuse at Maeseyck. It was constructed by 8 corps troops in January 1945 working in terrible condidtions including flooding
cheers
Les
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 70.jpg (74.5 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 71.jpg (72.0 KB, 43 views)