MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 13-10-06, 07:27

Wink Holidays for Ma Yappy

As I understand, Karmen has difficulty getting around and if that wasn't really a problem. couldn't afford to go to far anyway.

I've had an Idea that I've been mulling over for a while now. and as I am currently in Chiang Mai. Thailand; thought that this was as good a time as any to start it off.

I will post over the next month, pictures of the stuff around the places that I go, for Karmen to at least dream of a holiday to far of parts. Perhaps others could do the same in their own backyard.

Obviously. these pictures should have some military content where possible or the ol'man (Jif) might get a little ticked off. but as soon as I can I'll start to post some nice pics of here in Thailand.

However, as there is currently a coup taking place the Army don't particularly like to have their pictures taken so maybe thin on military content.

(So Ma.....what do you think of my idea??)

'til later

Pedr

Last edited by Pedr; 13-10-06 at 07:32.
Old 13-10-06, 08:15
Vets Dottir

Well I'll be a Monkey's Aunty And hey Pedr, I LOVE your idea and it really does give me a vicarious life simply in enjoying the photos you people post in here, from your necks of the woods

Yes, I am still pretty isolated and homebound these days. The good news is that thanks to Prednisone I'm walking better and able to do things I haven't in years (wrists etc) but am still limited as to how much and how far, and depends on the day, ... the bad news is that you speak truth when you say that I (probably) can't afford to get around anyways : ... so ... the next best thing really is "vicariously". Hey, it gives pleasures and perks to be able to "see" things even if I can't "be there" in real time, I experience a lot of good things just by "seeing" what you-all are seeing I kid you not! So YES Please do post photos

Do you know what I miss MOST lately? I have NEVER lived far from big rivers or Lakes, or Oceans ... I feel lost so far away from water and have really been feeling like I'm missing out as there are no Lakes or bodies of water I can walk to here. And I'm too Central in town to walk to the forest, which I'm deathly afraid of the bears anyways (they grow 'em big around here, Grizzley country I think

Maybe I can even go back into some of my old posts and delete the redundant and/or useless silly images I posted, to free up some more MLU space? What say you Master Sunray Jif-er-Man???

Ma Yappy
Old 16-10-06, 03:38

Ma, I have forgotten the cord for my camera in Australia, and will have to go and buy one here.

Yesterday, we had lunch in a Butterfly and Orchid farm and ate a buffet lunch for 150 baht a person ( that converts to approximately 5 Australian Dollars ) I ate soo much that I haven't been able to eat again for a couple of meals.

Took some fantastic photos for you and will post 'em as soon as I get the camera cord from the shop.

My Step Father took me to a Thai masseuse - and I don't mean any funny business - had a fantastic massage ( Infact at times it hurt ) but I felt fantastic after and again for only 150 baht.

Will take some pictures of the village that I am staying in as that is fantastic too.

Pedr
Old 16-10-06, 07:00
Vets Dottir

Hi Pedr,

That sounds great! I look forward to seeing your photos.

And it sure sounds like you had deep-muscle massage if you hurt afterwards. Ouch. But I know what you mean about feeling great afterwards. I can't tolerate visits with a massage therapist anymore because massage really aggravates the arthritis stuff Bummer!

Have you ever spotted any CMP's in Thailand?

Ma Yappy.
Old 16-10-06, 13:35

Default first photos

okay so I got the cord today, and here we go.

We visited a buddhist temple that was built in 1447 for a convention. That's right 1447. There was alot to see but I only took a few pics.

This is a line of buddhas. They are all in different poses to signafy different stages of his life and conscience, for example the buddha with his arm in the air signafies teaching.
Attached Thumbnails
eight buddhas.jpg  
Old 16-10-06, 13:48

The main chedi has buddhas all around the building. Many of them have fallen of over the past 500 years and as you can see, most of the arms and other peripheries have followed. Doesn't it look a bit "Indiana Jones"-ish
Attached Thumbnails
old buddha.jpg  
Old 16-10-06, 14:02

Default The temple

This is the main building now. It was probably built some time in the last century. The name of the whole complex is "Wat Jedyod".
Attached Thumbnails
wat jedyod.jpg  
Old 16-10-06, 14:08

Default Temple Dragons

Either side of the stairs leading up to the temple doors are temple dragons, there to guard the door from evil spirits. They are made from mosaic tiles, glaized and fired so the colour never wears off.
Attached Thumbnails
mosaic temple dragons.jpg  
Old 17-10-06, 05:44

Default more pics - inside wat

Here are some more pics that I wanted to post yesterday but I had to go to dinner.

These are a continuation of the last series of pics of Wat Jedyod.

This is inside the Wat ( temple ). There was a lady there getting a blessing from a monk. It wasn't appropriate for me to go inside ( I was wearing shorts at the time - a big no-no to have exposed skin in the temple ) and photography inside the Wat is not permitted, but this photo was taken from outside with a zoom lens.
Attached Thumbnails
inside wat.jpg  
Old 17-10-06, 06:03

Default Thai Monks

All boys do a period as a Monk. ( Kinda like our National Service, but with a much more peaceful undertone ) Boys from as young as seven become monks and depending on their situation may remain so for the rest of their life, others for as little as three months.

This boy was about 15 and was washing one of the small chedi's. My mum called him a "little monkey", which as a westerner sounds awfully racist and derogatory; but in the Thai language the common nickname given to children is "look-ling", which means cheeky monkey and is a great compliment

The chedi's are a spire and they are important in the Wat. There are usually a specific number of them, which relates to the origins of buddhism. Some of the chedi's are large enough that they have a room inside them. One in this Wat in particular has the ashes of a King of Thailand.

There are numerous Wat's all around the city. It appears that every street that you turn down there's another wat.

Most of them are covered in gold, and not just gold leaf.
Attached Thumbnails
child monk washes chedi.jpg  
Old 17-10-06, 06:15

Default Lunch at the Orchid and Butterfly farm

As I posted previously, we went to lunch at the Orchid and Butterfly gardens. Everyday my stepfather says "Amazing Thailand", and that's so true.

This picture is the gardens.
Attached Thumbnails
orchid gardens.jpg  
Old 17-10-06, 06:27

Default Amazing building techniques

The building in the background of the last picture is the restaurant. Most things here are what we'd call "open air", because of the heat and humidity, but when the heavens decide to open it buckets down.

So how do you make a roof to stand under when it rains, when you don't have a ready supply of roofing materials? You go back to nature ofcourse!

The roof was entirely made from the leaves of the teak tree, each one as big as a dinner plate, carefully bent around small bamboo sticks and tied in place with bamboo slithers.
Attached Thumbnails
teak leaf roof.jpg  
Old 17-10-06, 06:32

Default The Orchids

I'm not very happy with this picture - the camera focused on the background not the flowers.....but here are some of the orchids.
Attached Thumbnails
orchid.jpg  
Old 17-10-06, 06:48

Default The Orchids

The Orchids are grown suspended from wires with their roots hanging in mid air. They are fed with a water spray mist.
Attached Thumbnails
orchids.jpg  
Old 17-10-06, 06:59

Default Butterflies

The man at the orchid gardens took us through to his butterfly farm. It was hard to take photos of them as the little buggers wouldn't sit still.
Attached Thumbnails
butterfly.jpg  
Old 17-10-06, 07:08

Default If you think the butterflies are good......

And if you are impressed by the butterflies....wait til you see the moths.

I wish that I had put a hand up for perspective or something, but this moth would have been about 12 inches across. This isn't a fishing story...it really was that big.

Imagine the holes in your winter woolies if this bugger got into your cupboard.
Attached Thumbnails
moth.jpg  
Old 17-10-06, 07:16

Well that's all I've taken for you at the moment. I'm about to go for a walk into the little village and look around so will have some more soon.

...With regard to military vehicles....I've seen a barstardized Harley WLA, and a Willys CJ3B...but that's all at this stage. Both of them I saw at night so photos were out of the question, but I am being vigilant and have my camera with me most times so it will only be alittle while and I'll have some photos that Jif will approve of.

Til later

Pedr
Old 17-10-06, 18:26
Vets Dottir

Hi Pedr,

Wow. Wicked looking moth. Beautiful aren't they? As are the wild orchids ... and I recall how someone ( a Goldsmith) I used to live with loved raising orchids. He tended to them very lovingly and I really was fascinated by the varieties he had. He was born in a concentration camp and lost his Mom (his dad German, his Mom Jewish) so I guess beautiful things like orchids and Classical music were extra special for him. He really liked his Remy Martin too

I was really interested in seeing the roof structure and your telling how they built it. And how nice to think the weather is so warm that open air houses are good enough

But does anyone ever try to walk off with any of the gold?

Karmen.