MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > Military Shows & Events

Notices

Old 11-06-13, 04:48
carrier mech

Default RCA Museum Shilo 2013 on parade

If you click the link below you can see tha thread from last year when the RCA museum provided 8 vehicles into the Brandon parade.
http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=18647

The base commander liked what he saw, and directed that more vehicles be made ready for this year's parade. So this year we managed to provide a total of 11 vehicles, a limber and 2 guns. The whole day was uneventful with no breakdowns or problems.

The lineup included: M38A1Cdn3 ceremonial and vice regal Jeep, M38A1Cdn2 in MP configuration, Ilits (new for this year), M37Cdn (new for this year with fresh sandblast and paint), M133 w/w towing C1 howitzer, AVGP, C15A cargo (fresh paint for the parade), C15TA (fresh tires from last year), Lynx scout car, White scout car, and a Chev FAT with limber and 25pdr.

The White had a few repairs in the last week or two, including the repair of a bent rear driveshaft, and the replacement of a loose pitman arm on the steering box. As well, the water pump had been successfully rebuilt from last year.

Big thanks to Derk who came out a few days early to help paint vehicles and transport them to and from the parade.

Here are some shots from the event:
[/URL]

Last edited by rob love; 11-06-13 at 18:39.
Old 11-06-13, 18:22

Default Excellent

Nice to see such a nice lineup running in the parade. Kudo's to you and your team. It was more than a few years ago when I picked up the Stuart from the shed there and have to say at that time, the collection was in pretty sorry shape. Flat tires, flat batteries and lots of leaks. Looks like your getting them back into "bristol fashion" at warp speed. Well, warp speed for the CF. Well done.
Old 11-06-13, 18:37
carrier mech

The bulk of the good condition vehicles are in a newer (for the CF) building, protected from the elements. There are approximately 50 vehicles inside that building, and of those, 12 are turn key. Work is underway on 2 more (the Ford pilot 15cwt truck and Chev 15cwt gin palace). Another dozen or two could likely be made to operate with a week or three worth of work each, however, as the running fleet gets too big, so does the liability of effort to keep them going. That is where an annual parade like this is good. It gives the vehicles a chance to shake it out and get some fresh gas into them.

Flat tires are embarassing, and for the most part the problems with them within the building have been managed. I am currently working on a deal for another 20 tires (primarily for the Diamond Ts and a 30cwt HP) which are all badly in need of replacement. I am trying to stay away form the modern radials and using tires with either the proper tread or with a period tread at a minimum. I have also been authorized to procure a set of the STA chevrons for the Lynx, which although they are a tad big (10.50 vs the 9.00X16 originals) should look good.

There are plans to have the Stuart at a large display next year in Austin, labor permitting along with a Bren carrier..
Old 11-06-13, 19:37

Default Assumption......

HI Rob

Is it safe to assume that you guys have liberated/acquired the last Ford pilot from Reynolds and are now working on it.... ?

Bob C
Canada
Old 11-06-13, 23:37
carrier mech

Bob
Nope, we have the one that came from Bill Gregg's collection. I believe it was found in Saskatchewan or Alberta decades ago. No idea if the Reynolds one has gone anywhere. I wouldn't mind seeing it myself to determine what is correct or not with ours. Hopefully I will be up that way later this summer.
Old 12-06-13, 01:42

Default Well done Rob...

and Dirk. Looks like a lot of fun and hard work. When I get out of the golf business I hope to help you out in this event. Cheers Rob Fast
1943 FAT/ 17 pounder
1941 C15 GS 2B1
Old 12-06-13, 02:42
carrier mech

Thanks Rob, and you are welcome out anytime. I hope it rains cats and dogs in Steinbach mid July so you can come to the Prairie Command Shilo tour and campout.

Rob
Old 07-07-13, 19:36

Default Traveler's day Parade-Brandon

Rob,
great to see the photos of the parade in Brandon. I was supposed to be there with the pipe band but didn't make it. Just trying to get my M37 ready for the parade in Prince Albert at the end of the month but it won't stop raining and I don't have room in my garage to work on the old beast. So I see you'll be in Austin next year. I have been asked to attend as well. It'll be a long treck with pulling the camper and the M37 with two trucks. Just told the wife she will have to learn to drive pulling something..hahaha.
Just found a site in the Minnesota selling canvas. Prices seem reasonable. "New Life Canvass". I still have to get bow corners, tire carrier, but need to get 3rd gear working and the brakes working again. This is all for the 54 (Wainwright truck). My Shilo truck will be a ways down the road as I had to pull all the wiring apart due to numerous John Deere parts added to the truck by the previous owner, and changed to 12 volt. I would love to have to have them both ready for Austin but would need and extra truck and trailer to pull it...and driver. Possibly I could get a neighbour in town involved. He is ex RCR and REME. take care all Ewen