MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 11-08-04, 01:17

Default Macks in convoy

in 1943/44 the AIF received 400 of a diesel powered Mack to use on the North south supply route. This information is contained in 'Convoys up the track' by Alan Smith.

Attached are two pics from the AWM.

Does anyone have any info on whether any of these trucks still survive today?

Pic one
Attached Images

Old 11-08-04, 01:17

I am assuming that this is the same type but I could be wrong

Pic two
Attached Thumbnails
catv780l copy.jpg  
Old 11-08-04, 10:01
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Mack

Cliff, one of our club members has one of these Macks, but I don't know if it's an original North-South road one. I don't have photos handy, but I do have a video of a weekend away trip. Ill send it up to you.
Old 11-08-04, 10:14

Thanks for that Tony. I have also written to the Mack Museum in the USA to see if they have any more info on these as well.

I believe the top photo are the NR Mack trucks of the convoys and the lower photo is of AIF NO model macks.
Old 11-08-04, 10:15

Default Mack NM

Hi Cliff
These look like Mack NM-5 or -6 prime movers and quite a number survive in the UK,they were used by the British army and post war many ended up being used as snow ploughs or gritters.I though NM's were petrol engined though?

I used to have the 1942 TM for them but passed it on to a guy who was buying one to restore.
Old 11-08-04, 10:20

Matt thanks for that. You are probably right about the models. I am guessing but in Alan Smiths book he says they were 'Mack-Lanova' diesels. He also calls them 12 tonners and not the 7.5 ton of the NO's.

I am used to smaller 3 to 7 ton trucks of more conventional patterns then these large beasts
Old 11-08-04, 12:00

Default Numbers

I can never remember the reference numbers, but the top photo is of a conventional Mack 6 x 4 like (Lucas, Lukas?) takes everwhere in Europe to all the shows. It's lovely but no ball of fire on the road, and could well be rated at 12 tons as it's pretty much just an on-road vehicle. Diesel, of course. Closed cab pre and post war, with open cab maybe 42-45 maybe just for the military? They have those cage-type wheels with detachable rims where you can change the rim but leave the hub and spokes on the axle while you do it.

The second shot is the numerically more common NM (maybe?) which as Matt pointed out used to push every snow-plow in Britian at one time. It was rated as a 4 ton 6 x 6 but that was off road so it was probably the equivalent of an 8 ton civilan chassis. they were originally petrol but I suppose a few got re-engined later.

Gordon
Old 11-08-04, 12:09

Default NR versus NM

OK, so I went and looked it up.

Diesel top version is an NR, which came as NR6/8/9/10/11/12/13, if they are late enough to have open cabs they are probably NR9 or above. Mack - Lanova ED 519 cu in engine? 6 x 4, 10 or 12 ton.

The petrol-engined NM was a 6 ton 6 x 6 (why did I think 4?) and came as NM1/2/3/5/6 with the Mack EY petrol engine.
Old 11-08-04, 12:53

Thanks Gordon that has helped a lot
Old 11-08-04, 22:59
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Numbers

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon
I can never remember the reference numbers, but the top photo is of a conventional Mack 6 x 4 like (Lucas, Lukas?) takes everwhere in Europe to all the shows.
Lucas Beaujon is a Dutch lorry driver and indeed takes his Mack NR everywhere. This picture shows his truck at Wings & Wheels 2002.
Old 12-08-04, 02:31
Jeep guy in CMP world!

Tony- theres actually 2 in the club, Marks 6x6 and Dave A's got one as well- sitting in his shed, good nick and unrestored.

And they truly are a slow vehicle to go around in, but they go anywhere! I went in marks on the winter rally... it takes 3 people to have a conversation in it- the person in the middle has to act as an interpreter/intercom for the one on either side!

I cant remember Marks trucks model number, but i know when we went through the weigh bridge it weighed in at over 10 ton.

I`ll have a look around clif, i might have some photos of it (well i know i do, just have to find them!!)

Cheers,

Ian.

1942 Script Willys MB, sn:131175
1942 Script Ford GPW, sn:11730
1944 Ford GPW
1943 #3 GMH jeep trailer
1945 #4 GMH, RAAF jeep Trailer
SOLD: Ford F15A. Aust. #? Office Body.
www.vintageengines.net